Need Help Quick.. FM Transmitter for IPhone /Car

plenzmd1

My Duaghter turns 16 tomorrow, and was going to get her a new radio for the car she will be driving. The problem is the old one is pretty nice, GPS the whole 9 yards... Just for some god forsaken reason Hyandai did not put an aux input on this radio. Car does have Bluetooth for phone as well...not lot like a 16 year old talks on phone.

Anyway, I go to Bestbuy today thinking about $200 for radio and $100 for install...but no it was $300 for radio and when all said and done close to $700 all in....all to play music from phone. No freakin way.

So, does anybody have a good FM transmitter they have used? Need to get tonight, along with a really good dash holder for the phone. Wife has some more sentimental gifts from us, but I know this is something she really wants. Lord I remember how important it was to get that Pioneer Super Tuner in my car at that age.

Any help preciated

Edited by plenzmd1

http://www.satechi.net/index.php/soundfly-aux-mp3-player-car-fm-transmitter-for-sd-card-usb-stick-mp3-players-ipod-zune-sansa-with-remote-control

You can use this w/an iPhone, thumb drive, simm card, etc...

I just ordered one from Amazon for under 40 bucks and it came yesterday, works well. FM trans covers the whole dial, again works well... Or you can patch cord it in. Only thing is, it is cumbersome going through the folders on such a small screen when you have a crap load of music. I can'g figure out how it loads (alpha, etc...) the folders... BUT you can navi up and scroll through albums. Probably a button or macro I am missing out there.

The two new cars have iDrive and HDD w/USB so I moved my whole CD collection to USB thumb drive.

I use this SoundFly Aux in the 2006 Jeep TJ that just has a radio and CD player. Years ago, I added a hard wire aux port to it when I added the Siruius radio through the CD Changer port that was empty (PIE Converters make crossover units for OEM head units). So I patch cord to the Sound fly for a better connection... BUT honestly, the FM trans works well. Really well.

FWIW...

My 17 year old son mainly drives the TJ... So he plugs his iPhone right into the aux port I installed back in 2006. You play it through the CD changer mode on the head unit.

You can look up PIE converters. If your head unit has a CD Changer that is NOT being used, you can go that route. Plug converter into back where CD Changer would plug into. I did that for the Sirius radio... BUT I also pigtailed in an AUX port on the dash. You can only play one @ a time and it is best to have NOT have the Sirius radio docked while using the AUX port since it will rob some of the signal.

PIE converters are the way to go if you want to go this route... Very cheap.

BUT... The Sound Fly is the least expensive. Heck, work with my home stereo as long as you get a cigarette to A/C power converter FM trans works very well and again, the Sound Fly AUX FM trans covers every freq. on the dial... So you are sure to find a clean freq.

Hope this helps...

My Duaghter turns 16 tomorrow, and was going to get her a new radio for the car she will be driving. The problem is the old one is pretty nice, GPS the whole 9 yards... Just for some god forsaken reason Hyandai did not put an aux input on this radio. Car does have Bluetooth for phone as well...not lot like a 16 year old talks on phone.

Anyway, I go to Bestbuy today thinking about $200 for radio and $100 for install...but no it was $300 for radio and when all said and done close to $700 all in....all to play music from phone. No freakin way.

So, does anybody have a good FM transmitter they have used? Need to get tonight, along with a really good dash holder for the phone. Wife has some more sentimental gifts from us, but I know this is something she really wants. Lord I remember how important it was to get that Pioneer Super Tuner in my car at that age.

Any help preciated

Dont buy anthing till yor read my reply. Just let me check my amazon orders.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HIATW04?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Edited by Clippers of Nfl

That's what I am looking for! Any experience with it?

Thanks for the help

Just got it in the maile yesterday, ordered it on Thursday through Amazon... Works gr8 on my home stereo. Again, menu system a bit cumbersome but heck it was $39.99 and it has a small LCD. I haven't got a chance to drive The Jeep since it is summer and my son monopolizes it! LOL...

Again... You can patch cord through Aux or use FM trans... FM trans worked VERY well on my home stereo. I got something like 2,500 songs so far transferred from my CD collection to stick drive... VERY convenient... VERY... I am listening to songs I never wanted to drag out and put in the CD player... ESPECIALLY on the road!

They have other units that cost under 20 bucks... BUT I like the aux cord feature. For your use, just plug the phone in and play through a frequency of your choice... Very compact and power is supplied through cigarette built in... Really no cords... AND the whole thing angles to accom different cig socket placements in vehicles... Comes w/remote... Probably why it was 40 bucks.

Hope this helps... Just got it yesterday... Pretty neat little gizmo!!! WOW... I got a 16GB stick in there. They make smaller thumb drives like the sandisk cruzer... VERY low profile. Should work well with the iPhone...

Dont buy anthing till yor read my reply. Just let me check my amazon orders.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HIATW04?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

I like mine better... No cords and built right into the cig adapter... Comes w/remote... BUT yours is dirt cheap... Can't beat 12 freaking bucks! LoL...

Plenz... You came to the right place... ;-)

http://www.satechi.net/index.php/soundfly-aux-mp3-player-car-fm-transmitter-for-sd-card-usb-stick-mp3-players-ipod-zune-sansa-with-remote-control

You can use this w/an iPhone, thumb drive, simm card, etc...

I just ordered one from Amazon for under 40 bucks and it came yesterday, works well. FM trans covers the whole dial, again works well... Or you can patch cord it in. Only thing is, it is cumbersome going through the folders on such a small screen when you have a crap load of music. I can'g figure out how it loads (alpha, etc...) the folders... BUT you can navi up and scroll through albums. Probably a button or macro I am missing out there.

The two new cars have iDrive and HDD w/USB so I moved my whole CD collection to USB thumb drive.

I use this SoundFly Aux in the 2006 Jeep TJ that just has a radio and CD player. Years ago, I added a hard wire aux port to it when I added the Siruius radio through the CD Changer port that was empty (PIE Converters make crossover units for OEM head units). So I patch cord to the Sound fly for a better connection... BUT honestly, the FM trans works well. Really well.

FWIW...

Plenz this one is good too. 40 bucks vs the one I sent 13 bucks.

Just depends how cheap you wanna be. The $13 one I sent does not list the artists during playback. It just works great with zero static.

Up to you.

Oh... Plenz... The thing about the Monster one is that it will need battery from phone and draw on that. The ones that plug into cig socket won't draw that much from the phone.

Food for thought.

Plenz this one is good too. 40 bucks vs the one I sent 13 bucks.

Just depends how cheap you wanna be. The $13 one I sent does not list the artists during playback. It just works great with zero static.

Up to you.

LoL... Sounds like we are fighting for a commission here... LoL... Which one will he go:

IMO... Monster and Crutchfield is over priced. ;-)

Just got it in the maile yesterday, ordered it on Thursday through Amazon... Works gr8 on my home stereo. Again, menu system a bit cumbersome but heck it was $39.99 and it has a small LCD. I haven't got a chance to drive The Jeep since it is summer and my son monopolizes it! LOL...

Again... You can patch cord through Aux or use FM trans... FM trans worked VERY well on my home stereo. I got something like 2,500 songs so far transferred from my CD collection to stick drive... VERY convenient... VERY... I am listening to songs I never wanted to drag out and put in the CD player... ESPECIALLY on the road!

They have other units that cost under 20 bucks... BUT I like the aux cord feature. For your use, just plug the phone in and play through a frequency of your choice... Very compact and power is supplied through cigarette built in... Really no cords... AND the whole thing angles to accom different cig socket placements in vehicles... Comes w/remote... Probably why it was 40 bucks.

Hope this helps... Just got it yesterday... Pretty neat little gizmo!!! WOW... I got a 16GB stick in there. They make smaller thumb drives like the sandisk cruzer... VERY low profile. Should work well with the iPhone...

I like mine better... No cords and built right into the cig adapter... Comes w/remote... BUT yours is dirt cheap... Can't beat 12 freaking bucks! LoL...

Plenz... You came to the right place... ;-)

They have cheaper than 12 bucks. But crappy quality. Like super crappy.

I tried the stupid cheap ones and they would work fine for like 5 months... The $13 dollar one was my last resort. That or just install a new radio with the aux hole.

Happy as heck with my $13 dollar one.

Oh... Plenz... The thing about the Monster one is that it will need battery from phone and draw on that. The ones that plug into cig socket won't draw that much from the phone.

Food for thought.

LoL... Sounds like we are fighting for a commission here... LoL... Which one will he go:

IMO... Monster and Crutchfield is over priced. ;-)

Exactly. lol.

Specially me when I said DONT BUY ANTHING TILL YOU GET MY RECOMMENDATION. LOL

I tried the stupid cheap ones and they would work fine for like 5 months... The $13 dollar one was my last resort. That or just install a new radio with the aux hole.

Yep. Why I went w/The Sound Fly Aux... Remote works gr8... No static and it covers all freq. across the FM dial.

Any stereo can get an aux hole. I mentioned above, if you have capability for a CD changer, you can add the aux hole with a PIE converter. CD Change on head unit then becomes your aux port.

I really like the littel menu screen on Sound Fly and comact design w/built in power, no other cords for power. I guess, using a phone you may need to charge it. I mentioned about the Monster one possibly draining phone while hogging the charging port on the iPhone as well.

So many choices!

Exactly. lol.

Specially me when I said DONT BUY ANTHING TILL YOU GET MY RECOMMENDATION. LOL

LMAO! One of those companies should send us the bird dog fee! ;-)

Yep. Why I went w/The Sound Fly Aux... Remote works gr8... No static and it covers all freq. across the FM dial.

Any stereo can get an aux hole. I mentioned above, if you have capability for a CD changer, you can add the aux hole with a PIE converter. CD Change on head unit then becomes your aux port.

I really like the littel menu screen on Sound Fly and comact design w/built in power, no other cords for power. I guess, using a phone you may need to charge it. I mentioned about the Monster one possibly draining phone while hogging the charging port on the iPhone as well.

So many choices!

LMAO! One of those companies should send us the bird dog fee! ;-)

Never heard of a pie converter. Learn something new everyday. Thanks.

Never heard of a pie converter. Learn something new everyday. Thanks.

I have used them for years going back to my 1998 Isuzu days. OEM radios and the manus pin out the head units DIFFERENTLY for the car company, changers so YOU BUY THEIR EXPENSIVE units from the car dealer. Isuzu used Eclipse components. Back in 1998 I wanted to add a 6 disc in dash unit BUT didn't want to pay the dealer 800 bucks for a over priced changer that was inferior. I found out Eclipse made for Isuzu and and got the PIE converter.... Superior changer w/a memory skip buffer (not on OEM/dealer units back in 1998) and the whole install (myself) was done for under 400 bucks WITH price of changer!

In 2006 on the Jeep I was adding Sirius and got the converter for that headunit's changer mode. While I was in the dash doing exploratory surgery, I said: "What the heck, I should just tap out an aux port." In 2006, the many aux ports were a right and left channel RCA connection... So I went with that standard. Best choice I ever made. My son now plays iPhone through changer mode (aux/Sirius port). I needed the Sound Fly Aux to play stick drives and simm cards. I can use the FM modulator but will just play through aux port (again CD changer mode) for a more secure connection. With regards to RCA (right left) standard, they make adapter patch cords that go to standard (two insulators) mini-stereo connection. Works well... BUT since it is a simple pigtail w/the Sirius... It is best if you undock the Sirius (Sportster) radio so there is no "steal of the signal."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

This probably won't help if you need the dash mount phone holder tonight, but this system is by far the best dash mount for phones! Custom designed for each car and phone model. Highly recommended!! https://www.proclipusa.com

I picked up a new BMW SUV for the wife. She was feeling down in the dumps that I commandeered the new MINI Cooper S a few months earlier, so I had to make ammends and get here a new ride. Seems some Euro cars have a removable cup holder that plugs in and plugs out... It works great for holding an iPhone. LoL

For a cheapsake... I am sure aching with aching @ the pocketbook!

Are you sure the bluetooth won't play music from the phone? it should.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering... It should, shouldn't it?

Also... Plenz... Maybe Hyundai (whoever they have making their radios/components... Maybe Clarion???) put the aux port in back? Of course you may not want to tear apart dash to look, but it might easily reached from one of the sides.

If you can wait, you'd get better deals over the internet.

Not sure what the intent of the fm transmitter is but shouldn't the Bluetooth allow her to pair the iPhone and transmit through the car stereo?

Worth noting you can't set up the Bluetooth pairing while the car is moving

Edited by The Poojer

Not sure what the intent of the fm transmitter is but shouldn't the Bluetooth allow her to pair the iPhone and transmit through the car stereo?

Worth noting you can't set up the Bluetooth pairing while the car is moving

Yeah! We want answers Plenz! You are cutting into Pooj's and my cardio gym time! ;-) ;-) I am doing so much posting lately, I am slipping away!

This better not be a P.I.C.N.I.C... Don't want to to have to call IT on you, worse yet, /dev!

:-)

Sorry gents. Even though birthday is tomorrow we spent some great time eating dinner and reminising tonight with dinner and photos etc. Lots of laughing at the table for 3 hours.

Thank you all for the replies. Let her in on the fact that new radio was out of the question, she totally got it, and we will look at these solutions in next couple of days. Again, thx gents.

In terms of the Bluetooth, comes out of a seperate speaker in the roof between the front seats, not the regular speakers. Never die for listening to OneD or Taylor!

Any help preciated

Keep in mind that almost every FM transmitter you can buy has been weakened to the point of uselessness by the FCC. Apparently too many people complained about hearing Howard Stern driving by people with the old style Sirius receivers. Some non-US manufacturers still make "illegally powered" transmitters. You can find them on Amazon. Or go on YouTube and find videos on how to hack the weakened ones. Apparently manufacturers took their original transmitters and added something to drop the output power. It's easy to bypass it if you know what to do. Edited by PromoTheRobot

for what it's worth at this point in time, I have the motorola roadster, i bought it on ebay for $30, i absolutely love it..the bluetooth speaker by itself has enough volume to be heard over the radio, for google maps navigation. and if i want to play Howard via my Sirius app, i never have trouble finding an fm channel clear enough to play through the car radio.

Keep in mind that almost every FM transmitter you can buy has been weakened to the point of uselessness by the FCC. Apparently too many people complained about hearing Howard Stern driving by people with the old style Sirius receivers. Some non-US manufacturers still make "illegally powered" transmitters. You can find them on Amazon. Or go on YouTube and find videos on how to hack the weakened ones. Apparently manufacturers took their original transmitters and added something to drop the output power. It's easy to bypass it if you know what to do.

I would think that is because in the older days, you were only given a few frequencies, especially on the lower FM band.

I did notice that with the new Sound Fly Aux I just picked up, the modulator covers every FM frequency from 87 to 108 FM... In 10ths of MHz... That's over 200 choices. How in the hell can that interfere w/anybody close?

I do see what you are saying w/older tech that didn't cover the full FM dial.

I'd still opt for the aux hole anyway... Just tap into the CD Changer port IFF available. Almost all headunits have add on capability, especially OEM units. The PIE converter will covert the OEM pinout to the standard for the radio manu. Again, radio manufacturerers will make for car companies BUT they will proprietary pinout differently than the radio company's standard product line... Nothing the PIE converter can't get around... PIE has a gr8 website that will solve any mystery pinout config! w/my 1998 Isuzu... I did have to do some fancy soldering w/a power lead though... Seems they tried to baffle you with no power lead. Nothing the gr8 support staff @ PIE couldn't figure out! But, that was an odd/rare occasion I was told with the Eclipse CD Changers. They could be daisy chained to another in the trunk.

$25
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-RadioPlay-Transmitter-MBL-FM-XMTR300/dp/B000E43GOO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438792177&sr=8-1&keywords=Monster+fm+modulator

I've owned 2. First one lasted 7.5 years. I was dumb and would leave it plugged in extended periods which shorted life. New one is very good

Also, most radios have a port you can plug in an aftermarket setup creating a line in option.. Pie? Pei? One of those or so!ething like it is a brand that does this. Can be from $20-80.

edit: This is a good device because you can take it to different vehicles. It can act as a speak for music and also a hands free device while on audio call. It doesn't have a microphone like fancier devices but it doesn't need one. I primarily use this for my MP3 player but it works good with everything. The only small set back can be if not using the right charger - a 3.1amp charger or anything above 1amp - it will give feedback to the player due to power leaching. Most devices and products do this.

Edited by jboyst62

Any help preciated

Why not just use the bluetooth to play the music from the phone? That's what I use in my car.

As for a phone mount, I just bought this. ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QAXY27S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00). Put the magnet inside your phone case and it works perfectly.

$25

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-RadioPlay-Transmitter-MBL-FM-XMTR300/dp/B000E43GOO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438792177&sr=8-1&keywords=Monster+fm+modulator

I've owned 2. First one lasted 7.5 years. I was dumb and would leave it plugged in extended periods which shorted life. New one is very good

Also, most radios have a port you can plug in an aftermarket setup creating a line in option.. Pie? Pei? One of those or so!ething like it is a brand that does this. Can be from $20-80.

edit: This is a good device because you can take it to different vehicles. It can act as a speak for music and also a hands free device while on audio call. It doesn't have a microphone like fancier devices but it doesn't need one. I primarily use this for my MP3 player but it works good with everything. The only small set back can be if not using the right charger - a 3.1amp charger or anything above 1amp - it will give feedback to the player due to power leaching. Most devices and products do this.

Yep.

It is: P.I.E. Precision Interface Electronics... They have a huge catalog for every pinout on the planet. They make it so easy, just get to the back of the headunit. I find it easy just to use the changer port and that becomes the aux in. But you really can't take it from vehicle to new vehicle, unless you stay with the same make of vehicle (I guess). Anyway, all new cars come equipped w/USB and aux in now. They are ditching CD players. The new Cooper I have doesn't have a CD, but the BMW does. Go figure, MINI is made by BMW. The BMW does have an 80GB HDD w/12 gigs dedicated to music. You can rip right to the HDD from the CD player.

Wooderson... He did say the Hyundai has a dedicated speaker, one only for the Bluetooth.

KD... Those FM converters were rad! No more AM radio and losing signal under bridges and tunnels (amplitude modulation). FM does lose signal in tall buildings though, like the in the "canyons" of skyscrapers (frequency modulation). LOL

Yep.

It is: P.I.E. Precision Interface Electronics... They have a huge catalog for every pinout on the planet. They make it so easy, just get to the back of the headunit. I find it easy just to use the changer port and that becomes the aux in. But you really can't take it from vehicle to new vehicle, unless you stay with the same make of vehicle (I guess). Anyway, all new cars come equipped w/USB and aux in now. They are ditching CD players. The new Cooper I have doesn't have a CD, but the BMW does. Go figure, MINI is made by BMW. The BMW does have an 80GB HDD w/12 gigs dedicated to music. You can rip right to the HDD from the CD player.

Wooderson... He did say the Hyundai has a dedicated speaker, one only for the Bluetooth.

KD... Those FM converters were rad! No more AM radio and losing signal under bridges and tunnels (amplitude modulation). FM does lose signal in tall buildings though, like the in the "canyons" of skyscrapers (frequency modulation). LOL

I'm lazy and didn't read thru all the replies.

I'm lazy and didn't read thru all the replies.

LoL... Kinda strange that Hyundai uses a dedicated speaker system... w/only one for Bluetooth... BUT it has GPS. I installed the OEM GPS in the 2006 Jeep and dash dock plugged right into stereo headunit with a special adapter. It is a Garmin, made for Jeep, TrailGuide. You can take it off dock when hiking, etc... That's an old TJ too (old style Jeep Wrangler)... Everything plays through all speakers. I wonder what year the Hyundai is?

Sorry gents. Even though birthday is tomorrow we spent some great time eating dinner and reminising tonight with dinner and photos etc. Lots of laughing at the table for 3 hours.

Thank you all for the replies. Let her in on the fact that new radio was out of the question, she totally got it, and we will look at these solutions in next couple of days. Again, thx gents.

In terms of the Bluetooth, comes out of a seperate speaker in the roof between the front seats, not the regular speakers. Never die for listening to OneD or Taylor!

$13 bucks man. C'mon. That's the one I use right now on my work car. $13 bucks.

Keep in mind that almost every FM transmitter you can buy has been weakened to the point of uselessness by the FCC. Apparently too many people complained about hearing Howard Stern driving by people with the old style Sirius receivers. Some non-US manufacturers still make "illegally powered" transmitters. You can find them on Amazon. Or go on YouTube and find videos on how to hack the weakened ones. Apparently manufacturers took their original transmitters and added something to drop the output power. It's easy to bypass it if you know what to do.

Partly true. To the point of uselessness??? Not accurate. The one I use gives me a little static every now and then. All the other times works just like a direct connect to the aux hole.

Yup, they were cool. But nothing compared to that first installed car stereo that you could pull out of slot and hide under your seat (that was in the '82 Accord hatchback)!! :thumbsup:

$13 bucks man. C'mon. That's the one I use right now on my work car. $13 bucks.

Partly true. To the point of uselessness??? Not accurate. The one I use gives me a little static every now and then. All the other times works just like a direct connect to the aux hole.

Yep... That is what I was thinking... 13 bucks... How can you go wrong. Even the one I got @ 40 bucks with a plethora of FM mod choices along the dial. I never had issues w/FM mod. You are literally inches away from the antenna. I wonder if certain areas are more prone to interference. Tall buildings and mountains will hinder FM, right? I mentioned amplitude (AM) is messed up under bridges and tunnels.

I would still go the aux hole route though. So many options though!

Yup, they were cool. But nothing compared to that first installed car stereo that you could pull out of slot and hide under your seat (that was in the '82 Accord hatchback)!! :thumbsup:

Ha! Exactly... Then removable faceplates. The strange thing, all the new cars everything is totally intergrated. I wonder what that did to the aftermarket radio industry. I bet car companies love it!

Lol.

I remember those days.

Funny how at first you didnt hide it under the seat. You would pull-out and take it home. After a while is when you probably stashed it under the seat or the glove compartment.

Lol.

I remember those days.

Funny how at first you didnt hide it under the seat. You would pull-out and take it home. After a while is when you probably stashed it under the seat or the glove compartment.

Ha... Yeah, the first place the crooks would look!

Then they started getting wise with the faceplates. Did companies like Blauplunkt start encoding the two to match each other? Like the crook knew that before ripping into your dash. That will teach 'em... They know have an expensive paperweight! And you got a mess! :-/