"Cuckservative"

So, #cuckservative has been trending quite a bit in the "alt-right" blogosphere and social media lately. It has even broken into mainstream media in this WaPo article. Though it's silly and fraught with cries of "rayyyyycism" it touches on something that I've been thinking about for a while:

Trump is a major part of the 'cuckservative' phenomenon — but not because he himself is an Identitarian or traditionalist. His campaign is, in many ways, a backward-looking movement: 'Let’s make America great again!'

Trump's current campaign slogan concedes something that shouldn't be overlooked: America is no longer great. The "cuckservative" idea, I think, comes from this: "conservatives" (aka "cuckservatives") ceded so much ground to leftists over time that there is nothing good left to conserve. Thus, a return to status quo ante is the only option left for those who wish America to be great again.

So what do the minds that fall on the right of the political spectrum here think about this? Is it time to start thinking in terms of the reactionary, rather than the conservative?

P.S. For the leftists who may wish to chime in: cries of "raaaayyycism" will not be tolerated and you will leave my beloved thread immediately should it be your desire to make such idiocy heard.

P.P.S. This (NSFW, possibly) Breitbart article is recommended reading. A choice quote:

Mike Cernovich, a lawyer and blogger who has used the hashtag enthusiastically, describes what it means to him: “A cuckservative is a Republican who enjoys watching his friends on the right, and indeed his entire country, get screwed by the radical left.”

Sound like anyone we know here? It's on the tip of my tongue...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What era do people refer to when they refer to America's former greatness?

i think of the WWII generation. they were generally unassuming, frugal, modest, brave and hard working. nothing at all like trump.

Personally, I, too, think of the greatest generation. I would add that they valued family, community, and loyalty as well. Agree (in at least some part) with your assessment of Trump. However, he isn't the important part of the idea anyway.

Whatever era isn't today. It's been that way since 1788.

This argument is always brought up to put down reactionary politics. It's silly at best, stupid at worst, and should be put down.

Edited by LeviF91

It's always brought up because, like most cliches, there's truth in it. People HATE change, and the older they get the more they hate it.

Perhaps, but not all change is created equal.

So, generally from the late 1800s to the 1940s or so? That was when America was the best?

I know where you're going with this and it needs to stop, or you will be required to leave my beloved thread (see post 1, postscript).

I'll never understand the need so many people have to assign labels to others. Since when has marching along in lock-step been admirable?

That's part of the point. "Conservatives" have marched right along in lock-step with leftists for decades now. Marching a couple steps behind doesn't make them different.

Perhaps, but not all change is created equal.

I know where you're going with this and it needs to stop, or you will be required to leave my beloved thread (see post 1, postscript).

I am keeping my opinions to myself, I'm following your rules.

I think the issue lies in the very definition of "conservative" and "liberal" in this country.

Both liberals and conservatives generally advocate for less individual freedom than ever before. But conservativism has been hijacked primarily by social conservatives.

The true conservative is a libertarian. Smallest possible government, most possible individualism. So cuckservatives are likely social conservatives who've seen their traditional lifestyle fall away from popularity.

For me, it'd be the Apollo Era and everything that said about American (and German) ingenuity, bravery, and our willingness to sacrifice for discovery, exploration, and the betterment of mankind. But, I wasn't alive for it so maybe I'm romanticizing it. Still, based merely on the fact we put a man on the !@#$ing moon -- an astounding achievement for all of humanity, not just one nation -- I'd say that was the pinnacle of American exceptionalism.

For me, it'd be the Apollo Era and everything that said about American (and German) ingenuity, bravery, and our willingness to sacrifice for discovery, exploration, and the betterment of mankind. But, I wasn't alive for it so maybe I'm romanticizing it. Still, based merely on the fact we put a man on the !@#$ing moon -- an astounding achievement for all of humanity, not just one nation -- I'd say that was the pinnacle of American exceptionalism.

I often times wonder what people of the past would think of the modern world.

What era do people refer to when they refer to America's former greatness?

It's a relative question because it depends on where you find that greatness.

Some people find it in the ingenuity sprung from products and efforts to enhance life for all. Some find it in the resiliency of the people to cross uncharted lands to enhance life and opportunity for their family. Some find it it the way the country reacts to wars and struggles, like WWII or the unity from 9/11.

Unless you're amongst liberals, in which case there is no American greatness, only American failures that created all the ills in all the world for all of everyone...where reparations and apologies are simply never, ever, ever enough to account for our embarrassing shame.