NCAA football or NFL Football

College vs NFL  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Your own personal team aside, which overall sport are you a bigger fan of?

Couldn't resist!

But I don't think if Marshall or Rice or Uconn go undefeated they will be in the final 4.

because they likely wouldn't meet the guidelines-- SOS would be a problem for any of those 3

1.Championships won

2.Strength of schedule

3.Head-to-head competition (if it occurred)

4.Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory)

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because they likely wouldn't meet the guidelines-- SOS would be a problem for any of those 3

1.Championships won

2.Strength of schedule

3.Head-to-head competition (if it occurred)

4.Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory)

That's my point--none of that matters in the NFL (except in a tie). It's predetermined who will compete for the NCAA champioship. There's little change (or hope) beyond the top in college.

Edited by Mr. WEO

While I would say I like the NFL better I chose both because I really like both enough to say that I can't really pick one definitively over the other. When it comes to college football I think it's more exciting to see who wins a conference than it is to see who wins a division in football. Plus there's the traditions and rivalries. I think what I ultimately like about college better than NFL is the fact that you can actually win in college football without a stud QB.

With all of that said though, at the end of the day, the edge goes to the NFL IMO.

That's my point--none of that matters in the NFL (except in a tie). It's predetermined who will compete for the NCAA champioship. There's little change (or hope) beyond the top in college.

predetemined to a point but you have 32 NFL teams and hundreds of CFB teams. There needs to be a different process. While the top 25 are somewhat predetermined, The actual 4 in the playoff certainly aren't. That's earned.

Without a doubt. If I was offered free tickts to choose from either a random (Non Bills) NFL game, or a random college game, I'd take the college game every time.

I agree. I go to a few LSU games a year and a few Saints as well. I'm pretty indifferent on both teams but the LSU games are a FAR superior experience.

While the top 25 are somewhat predetermined, The actual 4 in the playoff certainly aren't. That's earned.

To a certain extent. The point is more that the teams that can get into the top four are predetermined.

I agree. I go to a few LSU games a year and a few Saints as well. I'm pretty indifferent on both teams but the LSU games are a FAR superior experience.

It's why Bills games are so great. It's like a college atmosphere. But few NFL games can compare to a big time college one. I went to a USC tailgate. Amazing scenery. :)

It's hard to explain too if you have never lived near or attended a big time football school. In Louisiana, there are lots of Saints fans (especially in New Orleans) but EVERYONE is an LSU fan (unless they went to Ole Miss). It's just so much bigger than the NFL in terms of the support. It's like that in the majority of the country. These are the states off of the top of my head where college football is bigger than pro: Texas, FL, Louisiana, Ohio, Michigan, Alabama, GA, California, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kentucky, Oregon, South Carolina, Wisconsin, Iowa, Virginia, Kansas, Mississippi, Tennesse, Arkansas, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, North Dakota, Wyoming and West Virginia.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

To a certain extent. The point is more that the teams that can get into the top four are predetermined.

I agree that the 4 team playoff isn't perfect, the system they have is just the reality of having so many CFB programs of different sizes. Though the NCAA tourney is great fun in basketball, it doesn't work in football.

I agree that the 4 team playoff isn't perfect, the system they have is just the reality of having so many CFB programs of different sizes. Though the NCAA tourney is great fun in basketball, it doesn't work in football.

That's because you always have a butler or some under the radar team that makes it a few rounds deep.

predetemined to a point but you have 32 NFL teams and hundreds of CFB teams. There needs to be a different process. While the top 25 are somewhat predetermined, The actual 4 in the playoff certainly aren't. That's earned.

In reality, there are about (the same) 10 teams out of hundreds competing for one of those 4 spots annually. It's a syndicate.

In reality, there are about (the same) 10 teams out of hundreds competing for one of those 4 spots annually. It's a syndicate.

i think most fans of CFB teams (outside of a few national entities like ND) are students, alums or locals and aren't expecting to challenge for a title most years, let alone every year. It's not winning a title that makes CFB fans excited. It's the overall experience. It's a religion. Most programs who lose a game or 2 during the season know their title dream is over but they still show up in droves because of big rivalry games and pure fandom. It's just different. There are a few teams who will be actually disappointed if they don't make the playoff. For most it's always a long shot. No one from Marshall is going to stab their neighbor if they lose a game like the Bama folk (sorry CBF). Lol Edited by YoloinOhio

It's why Bills games are so great. It's like a college atmosphere. But few NFL games can compare to a big time college one. I went to a USC tailgate. Amazing scenery. :)

I've never seen so many hot, scantily clad women (using that term loosely) in one place at one time. Just to be clear, I am not talking about Hammer's Lot.

Maybe the real difference is that an NFL at least has hope that this could be the year...

The vast majority of CFB have no hope of ultimate success. GO\oing to a game is purely entertainment in that moment. Even that doesn't speak to the people who don't go to those games. For them, there is nothing at stake, really.

I think the answer to this question is largely dependent upon whether or not you grew up in an NFL city. If so, I bet there aren't many who claim college football is their favorite.

I live near Syracuse and there are so many fans still even though they have been terrible for what feels like forever. That said the NFL I feel is much bigger where I live.

CFB is fun but way too drawn out for me. It shouldn't take 4 hours to play a game. 3 hours is tough enough to take but stretching it into 4 is overkill. Add in the talent disparity between teams and most weekends only feature a couple of games where the outcome isn't pretty easy to determine. Spreads upwards of 40 are embarrassing. Bills trump all for any sport period. However for football I will watch any 2 NFL teams play. I can't say the same for CFB. It needs to be either SU/Bama (fan from when they beat Miami - I hated Miami lol) or a game featuring 2 good teams. I can't watch directional state school vs top 10 team.