The GOP Nomination--The Donald and So Much More!

The answer is simple. Because Jon's late night comedy show spent nearly two decades exposing the media for being the corporate shills they are. Still doesn't make his show a news show. By all measurables his show is a late night talk show in a fake news format. As they blatantly advertise.

Sure. Maybe true. Still doesn't make The Daily Show a news program by any metric.

Is it technically a news show? No. At times has it been portrayed as a news show? Yes. Is there a not insignificant number of people that get their news or understanding of it from the show? Yes. Does the show have a political agenda? Yes

Is it technically a news show? No. At times has it been portrayed as a news show? Yes. Is there a not insignificant number of people that get their news or understanding of it from the show? Yes. Does the show have a political agenda? Yes

It's never portrayed as a news show. It comes on at 11pm (same time as all the other late night hosts), hosted by a stand up, on a basic cable comedy channel. There has never been one correspondent on the show who wasn't a stand up or comedian (either before their tenure or after their tenure). If it was a real news show, why would they hire comedians and not real journalists? Even the producers behind the scenes, the writers, are comedians and not journalists. This is undeniable, and any attempt to say otherwise is born from ignorance or an agenda.

Are there people who watch it and think they're getting real news? ABSOLUTELY. Those people, by and large, are not the sharpest tools in the shed. But their ignorance doesn't suddenly change the definition of the show -- which is why this debate is so silly to me. Just because some people think they're watching news doesn't mean they actually are.

Does Stewart lean left and have a progressive slant? ABSOLUTELY. As do most late night talk show hosts and comedians. All of the late night hosts do political jokes in their monologues -- every one since the beginning of late night TV -- Stewart is no different in that regard.

The answer is simple. Because Jon's late night comedy show spent nearly two decades exposing the media for being the corporate shills they are. Still doesn't make his show a news show. By all measurables his show is a late night talk show in a fake news format. As they blatantly advertise.

Sure. Maybe true. Still doesn't make The Daily Show a news program by any metric.

I disagree. He spent two decades taking things out of context, reporting half the story, and leaving the bulk of his audience believing things that were not true.

It's also a bit rich when he gives one of his sanctimonious rants about how negative and divisive people are, then in the next breath jumps right down into the gutter engaging in divisive language and assuming the worst of everyone who disagrees with him.

He's a talented comedian, but I see nothing virtuous about him or his contribution to the culture.

It's never portrayed as a news show. It comes on at 11pm (same time as all the other late night hosts), hosted by a stand up, on a basic cable comedy channel. There has never been one correspondent on the show who wasn't a stand up or comedian (either before their tenure or after their tenure). If it was a real news show, why would they hire comedians and not real journalists? Even the producers behind the scenes, the writers, are comedians and not journalists. This is undeniable, and any attempt to say otherwise is born from ignorance or an agenda.

Are there people who watch it and think they're getting real news? ABSOLUTELY. Those people, by and large, are not the sharpest tools in the shed. But their ignorance doesn't suddenly change the definition of the show -- which is why this debate is so silly to me. Just because some people think they're watching news doesn't mean they actually are.

Does Stewart lean left and have a progressive slant? ABSOLUTELY. As do most late night talk show hosts and comedians. All of the late night hosts do political jokes in their monologues -- every one since the beginning of late night TV -- Stewart is no different in that regard.

I didn't say comedy central, or anyone associated with the show portrayed it as a news show.

Sadly, many young people view The Daily Show as a news program. Regardless of what it tries to portray itself as.

I think that point is lost on Greggy, never mind the guest segments, which more often than not did not have comedians sitting at the table.

I think that point is lost on Greggy, never mind the guest segments, which more often than not did not have comedians sitting at the table.

There is a stark difference between Obama on The Daily Show and Nixon on Laugh-in, and it's tiresome hearing people say "Yes, I know that young people see it as their source of news, and yes, I know they interview Obama, and Pelosi, and Wasserman-Shultz...but it's a comedy show!"

I didn't watch the Daily Show because I don't like John's style of silliy humor. The Colbert Report on the other I loved. Sorry to see it go.

I did get this email from the DCC this morning however:

Sign our card thanking Jon Stewart for 16 amazing years >>

For years we've depended on Jon Stewart to find the humor amid the madness.

So last night's absurd Republican debate only adds to the sting of Jon's departure from the Daily Show.

Sure we want to beg him to do one more show and give his take on Trump vs. the world -- but what we probably ought to do instead is thank him for all the laughs he's given us over the past 16 years.

Please sign our card to thank Jon Stewart >>

thanksjonstewart_card.jpg

Sign the card: https://action.dccc.org/thank-you-jon

Thanks,

Back to TRUMP, I found it interesting that he made a comment last night that the Mexican government was smarter than our government. Reaching out to hispanics?

Edited by reddogblitz

I disagree. He spent two decades taking things out of context, reporting half the story, and leaving the bulk of his audience believing things that were not true.

It's also a bit rich when he gives one of his sanctimonious rants about how negative and divisive people are, then in the next breath jumps right down into the gutter engaging in divisive language and assuming the worst of everyone who disagrees with him.

He's a talented comedian, but I see nothing virtuous about him or his contribution to the culture.

That's all good, I'm not arguing people have to like Stewart or his program -- all I'm saying is that the people saying he runs a news show are incorrect by any measure. He's a late night talk show host with a different format.

I didn't say comedy central, or anyone associated with the show portrayed it as a news show.

:beer: That's all I'm saying.

Sadly, many young people view The Daily Show as a news program. Regardless of what it tries to portray itself as.

Sure. But that doesn't change the definition of the show itself. Perception, in this case, is not reality.

It's not lost on me, it's just not accurate.

Of course not. I'm sure the DCC sent a farewell card to Letterman & Leno too.

What does that have to do with how his show is defined?

Actually perception can and in this case IS reality for many.

The folks who think the Daily Show is news are in the minority. Thus, their perception is NOT reality.

What does that have to do with how his show is defined? - Everything. Political parties don't send thanks you's to mere comedians.

The folks who think the Daily Show is news are in the minority. Thus, their perception is NOT reality. - I think you need to venture outside the bi-coastal echo chambers.

A simple question -

Other than one show being on Fox News and the other on Comedy Central, how is O'Reilly Factor different from The Daily Show?

Time slot, format, tone, content, background, and purpose.

But other than that, they're identical. :lol:

Time slot - ORF 8PM vs prime time entertainment programs - TDS 11PM vs news programs

format - Both have monologues, clips and guests

tone - one is comedic the other is ironic

content - one speaks from the right, the other from the left

background - what does this have to do with anything? Both have heavily saturated red, white & blue sets

purpose - one to preach to the right flock, the other to preach to the left flock.

The folks who think the Daily Show is news are in the minority. Thus, their perception is NOT reality.

That's not the argument, the argument is that many people get their news from the Daily Show. Not that the Daily show is a a news show. There is a difference.

If you were to ask the average millennial where do you get your news, MSNBC or the Daily Show? What do you think they would say?

Of course we know the answer to this, and it's not even close. More than twice as many millennials get their news from the Daily show than MSNBC.

No matter how you slice it and dice it, the reality is that the Daily show IS where many people go to get their news, and Jon Stewart understands this. He not only knows that many people will take his comedy as news but that he is often attempting to move the needle to advance the causes he cares for.

Edited by Magox

Sure. But that doesn't change the definition of the show itself. Perception, in this case, is not reality.

Oh, I'm not saying the show was a news show. Just that many people took it as one. And many libs were grateful to Stewart for advancing their cause.

Oh, I'm not saying the show was a news show. Just that many people took it as one. And many libs were grateful to Stewart for advancing their cause.

I don't quite understand how TGreg doesn't understand this simple little differentiation, it's really not that difficult to understand. Of course the show isn't packaged as news, that goes without saying, the argument is that many people view it as comedy/news and that Jon Stewart is an advocate for the causes he supports as O'Reilly is an advocate for the causes he supports.