Potential Grand Slams: Jordan Spieth and Serena Williams

Most Impressive Calendar Grand Slam  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which Calendar Grand Slam would be more impressive?

• Spieth - Men's Golf (Masters, US Open, British Open, PGA)
    • Serena - Women's Tennis (Australian, French, Wimbledon, US Open)
    • They would be equally impressive

Oh, because eball had said this, too "tied w/ that prick Zach Johnson at -14."

Yeah, I kind of feel bad for typing that after seeing him after the win. Just never been a fan. A friend of mine put it well; he said "I prefer major championships to be won by historic golfers, not journeymen." Zach Johnson is a journeyman.

Spieth missed a putt, yes, but the way he played with that sort of pressure to be in the mix up until the 72nd hole tells me he's going to be a Tiger-like force for the next 15 years unless he goes off the rails -- but it seems as though he has a tremendous support system in place.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i didn't buy into all of the Jordan Speith hype......until this weekend, I questioned his decision to play stateside last weekend, sure it was going to cause him to be a non-factor at the Open. One putt and he probably walks away with the trophy...the guy can play some serious golf.

Yeah, I kind of feel bad for typing that after seeing him after the win. Just never been a fan. A friend of mine put it well; he said "I prefer major championships to be won by historic golfers, not journeymen." Zach Johnson is a journeyman.

Spieth missed a putt, yes, but the way he played with that sort of pressure to be in the mix up until the 72nd hole tells me he's going to be a Tiger-like force for the next 15 years unless he goes off the rails -- but it seems as though he has a tremendous support system in place.

i didn't buy into all of the Jordan Speith hype......until this weekend, I questioned his decision to play stateside last weekend, sure it was going to cause him to be a non-factor at the Open. One putt and he probably walks away with the trophy...the guy can play some serious golf.

He's the real deal...and if he improves that 8-12 foot putting range he'll be damn near unbeatable.

I think we're going to enjoy the battles between Spieth and McIlroy (in particular) for years. I think the key difference between Jordan and Rory is that Rory enjoys his celebrity a little too much.

do you think mcilroy will be the same player after his injury?

He's the real deal...and if he improves that 8-12 foot putting range he'll be damn near unbeatable.

I think we're going to enjoy the battles between Spieth and McIlroy (in particular) for years. I think the key difference between Jordan and Rory is that Rory enjoys his celebrity a little too much.

A friend of mine put it well; he said "I prefer major championships to be won by historic golfers, not journeymen."

That's garbage. Some of the best moments in major championship history are when "journeymen" came away with the title. It's a beautiful part of the game.

do you think mcilroy will be the same player after his injury?

Yeah, I think so. He's young, he'll rehab properly.

That's garbage. Some of the best moments in major championship history are when "journeymen" came away with the title. It's a beautiful part of the game.

It's an opinion. Yes, there are some nice "out of nowhere" stories but I like seeing the game's best battling it out.

I think Navratilova, Graf, King, Evert and Margaret Court would disagree re: Serena being the most dominant.

I do believe, as Pooj stated, that Serena's longevity and doing what she's doing at this point in her career, are very impressive. I also have zero doubt (nothing to back it up; just my opinion- no, I don't have a link, so don't ask) that she's been on steroids for her entire career.

I think a golf calendar grand slam would be the bigger feat, regardless.

You cannot downplay longevity. It is tough to stay on top of the game for such a long time. Ask Nadal. I argue that Serena's consistent performance has kept any one other women's player to rise up.

I agree with LBSeeBallLBGetBall on this one.

But still....

'splain, please.

Again, I don't watch or understand golf. But given the results so far, would you agree Serena > Spieth ?

Again, I don't watch or understand golf. But given the results so far, would you agree Serena > Spieth ?

Apples and oranges. First, the way the game of golf is set up makes it harder to "dominate" than the game of tennis. Second, Spieth is 21.

I would probably say that winning two major golf championships in a row is harder in general than winning three major women's tennis championships in a row.

Edited by LeviF91

That was an amazing last two days of The Open. Never seen a tournament with that many guys that close that deep into the tournament.

Zach played the best golf start to finish and deserved it. Felt bad for Leishman; one missed putt after two perfect days and he drops into the playoffs and then blows up on #1. Spieth is so good; seems so much more consistent than Rory. Will be great to see those guys head to head for years to come. That putt on 16 goes down as one of the five biggest putts in history if he gets into that playoff and wins.

Apples and oranges. First, the way the game of golf is set up makes it harder to "dominate" than the game of tennis. Second, Spieth is 21.

I would probably say that winning two major golf championships in a row is harder in general than winning three major women's tennis championships in a row.

The basic premise of this thread is a comparison between the potential achievement by the two players. Hence, by implication, winning consecutive tournaments is deemed comparable. Are you questioning the basis of this thread ?

Given the premise and the fact that Serena won four in a row and Spieth did not, made me ask that question.

The basic premise of this thread is a comparison between the potential achievement by the two players. Hence, by implication, winning consecutive tournaments is deemed comparable. Are you questioning the basis of this thread ?

Given the premise and the fact that Serena won four in a row and Spieth did not, made me ask that question.

Right, and nearly everyone agrees that four consecutive major golf championships is far and away a more impressive achievement than four consecutive women's major tennis championships. I'm still more impressed with Spieth.

But you asked if Serena was greater than Spieth ("Serena > Spieth?"). That is the apples and oranges comparison.

'splain, please.

It's a joke. Maybe only used on the Adam Carolla show.........Somebody rants - Serena is more dominant? I don't think so - just ask King, Evert, etc.............Somebody else puts links up where a number of them say Yeah, Serena is the most dominant............And, in real life, the person left with nothing will say something like "But still"

Got it - thanks

Edited by bbb

It's a joke. Maybe only used on the Adam Carolla show.........Somebody rants - Serena is more dominant? I don't think so - just ask King, Evert, etc.............Somebody else puts links up where a number of them say Yeah, Serena is the most dominant............And, in real life, the person left with nothing will say something like "But still"

Sorry I really dont watch much TV so the totally missed that reference.

Right, and nearly everyone agrees that four consecutive major golf championships is far and away a more impressive achievement than four consecutive women's major tennis championships. I'm still more impressed with Spieth.

But you asked if Serena was greater than Spieth ("Serena > Spieth?"). That is the apples and oranges comparison.

Thats fair. Comparing athletes across different sports is rather pointless. Serena has dominated her sport.

he's won 2 majors ... I think that takes him beyond the "journeyman" category. It was just all preaching about he's just some kid from Iowa and who would have thought he could win The Masters, I recall as not caring for the guy. I mean where do most golfers come from? And I think he grew up on a golf course as his dad is doctor and member of a country club. So it's not exactly like he toughed it out either

Zach Johnson is far from a journeyman. As others have stated, two majors don't just accidentally happen. The guy is arguably the best wedge player in the world and backs that up with extremely intelligent play to set him up for his strengths. He's also an incredibly good putter even for Tour standards. I honestly wonder if the fact that he is a short hitter may contribute to that thinking.

He does have 12 career Tour wins with 64 Top-10's.

Late edit for career stats

Edited by Marcellosaurus

• 1 month later...

Fun match to watch, even with Venus winning the second set, it seemed Serena would pull it together. She's an amazing athlete. Hopefully Venus can continue playing at this level until the Olympics then go out in style.

@SInow

Serena Williams tops her sister Venus in three sets in the #USOpen quarterfinal http://on.si.com/1NoL7Sv

Fun match to watch, even with Venus winning the second set, it seemed Serena would pull it together. She's an amazing athlete. Hopefully Venus can continue playing at this level until the Olympics then go out in style.

Yes it was. Thankfully, more competitive than I expected it to be. Of course I am glad that Serena pulled it off but Venus was ripping some powerful and accurate forehands

yeah, i was pulling for Serena, I really want to see her win the grand slam, but if she was going to lose, losing to Venus would have been a fairy tale sports story, as they were saying Venus could have 'cruised' to the championship based on who's left in the field. What a great moment at the end when Venus hugged Serena really hard, that was awesome!

Yes it was. Thankfully, more competitive than I expected it to be. Of course I am glad that Serena pulled it off but Venus was ripping some powerful and accurate forehands