Which would you prefer (Brady Hearing outcome)?

The Wiz

I'm really hoping it goes to court, but I realize there's little chance of that. I want McNally and Jastremski to be compelled to testify. That would be fun to see. But I'm sure after 10 hours, Kessler has seen the folly of his comparison to the Petersen case, Wells punched Tommy's agent in the face, and Tommy was happy to get off with 2 games for non-cooperation and the fine for his complicity in deflating the balls.

Two game checks and a fine has a finite dollar value. The association of the word "cheater" and "Tom Brady" for eternity is priceless.

It's too bad, too, because he didn't need to do any of that crap to begin with. He must be very insecure of his legacy. Ironically, this secures that.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like the penalty to be reduced because I think 4 games (25 percent of the season) is flat out ridiculous in comparison to other sports's penalties for similar infractions. And I'd like the players to have better representation from a better NFLPA in the future when it comes to bargaining with the owners. And I'd like to see both Goodell and Kraft go far, far away. Goodell is a freaking creep.

Edited by dave mcbride

I'd like the penalty to be reduced because I think 4 games (25 percent of the season) is flat out ridiculous in comparison to other sports's penalties for similar infractions. And I'd like the players to have better representation from a better NFLPA in the future when it comes to bargaining with the owners. And I'd like to see both Goodell and Kraft go far, far away. Goodell is a freaking creep.

What are other sports' penalties for not cooperating in league investigations?

Agree about the NFLPA. But they have themselves to thank.

Goodell may be a creep, but he does what he's paid to do, regardless.

GO BILLS!!!

What are other sports' penalties for not cooperating in league investigations?

Agree about the NFLPA. But they have themselves to thank.

Goodell may be a creep, but he does what he's paid to do, regardless.

GO BILLS!!!

K-9: First, the NHL:

Oversize pads by a goalie: 2-game suspension.

Stick that has a curve bigger than allowed for: "During regulation time or overtime (but not shootouts), a player caught with an illegal stick will get the traditional minor penalty and a $200 fine for the first offence. A second offence in the same season would be accompanied by a minor penalty, plus a fine of $1,000. A third offence in the same season would draw a game misconduct penalty and an automatic one-game suspension. The suspension would double in length for any subsequent violation in the same season."

Next, MLB:

Generally, 7-8 games for a foreign substance for a pitcher or for a corked bat for a hitter (both of which are penny ante infractions that are obviously similar to Brady's). Recently, Michael Pineda received a 7 game suspension last season for pine tar (pitching). Will Smith for the Brewers received an 8-game suspension in May for a rosin/sunscreen combo. Sammy Sosa received an 8 game penalty for a corked bat around 2000, and I think the penalty remains the same today. The season is 162 games long.

The NBA? Who knows. But they have a strong union and don't let the commissioner run roughshod, so I'm betting the penalties are similarly sized (and appropriatley sized to boot).

In any event,none of those penalties come anywhere near 25 percent of the season.

I have to say: one thing that bugs me is that the board's Pats hatred has blinded them to the problems with how the league is run.

Edited by dave mcbride

Funny...that's one of the reasons I don't want the penalty reduced, to motivate the NFLPA to better represent players in the future. If it's reduced, I'd expect the NFLPA to say "See! The system works!"

Which is probably the greatest motivation Goodell has to reduce the penalty...keep the NFLPA feeling like they're doing a good job.

4 games.

Because, if he admits, he can later say he threw himself on the grenade, in the "Patriot Way," and all his fans would love him more, and argue forever that he didnt really do it.

4 games says, yes, you did it. Period.

K-9: First, the NHL:

Oversize pads by a goalie: 2-game suspension.

Stick that has a curve bigger than allowed for: "During regulation time or overtime (but not shootouts), a player caught with an illegal stick will get the traditional minor penalty and a $200 fine for the first offence. A second offence in the same season would be accompanied by a minor penalty, plus a fine of $1,000. A third offence in the same season would draw a game misconduct penalty and an automatic one-game suspension. The suspension would double in length for any subsequent violation in the same season."

Next, MLB:

Generally, 7-8 games for a foreign substance for a pitcher or for a corked bat for a hitter (both of which are penny ante infractions that are obviously similar to Brady's). Recently, Michael Pineda received a 7 game suspension last season for pine tar (pitching). Will Smith for the Brewers received an 8-game suspension in May for a rosin/sunscreen combo. Sammy Sosa received an 8 game penalty for a corked bat around 2000, and I think the penalty remains the same today. The season is 162 games long.

The NBA? Who knows. But they have a strong union and don't let the commissioner run roughshod, so I'm betting the penalties are similarly sized (and appropriatley sized to boot).

In any event,none of those penalties come anywhere near 25 percent of the season.

I have to say: one thing that bugs me is that the board's Pats hatred has blinded them to the problems with how the league is run.

I appreciate the work here, Dave, but it doesn't answer my question. Are there examples of those various leagues levying a punishment for failure to cooperate in an official league investigation? If so, what was the level of that punishment?

Or are you simply satisfied that Brady and the Patriots were punished for merely deflating footballs? I've argued all along that the punishment was less about the actual crime than it was about the non-cooperation and several in the media have argued that as well the last couple of days.

And just so we're clear, this isn't about blind hatred for the Patriots. Not even close. It's about arrogance. Sorry, but it just doesn't sit well with me. I can honestly say I've never "hated" a Bills opponent. Ever.

Shula and the Dolphins came close though.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I'm really hoping it goes to court, but I realize there's little chance of that. I want McNally and Jastremski to be compelled to testify. That would be fun to see. But I'm sure after 10 hours, Kessler has seen the folly of his comparison to the Petersen case, Wells punched Tommy's agent in the face, and Tommy was happy to get off with 2 games for non-cooperation and the fine for his complicity in deflating the balls.

Two game checks and a fine has a finite dollar value. The association of the word "cheater" and "Tom Brady" for eternity is priceless.

It's too bad, too, because he didn't need to do any of that crap to begin with. He must be very insecure of his legacy. Ironically, this secures that.

GO BILLS!!!

Why do people keep saying things like this? The Pats** won their four Super Bowls by a combined 16 points. Obviously Brady and Belicheck believed everything they did was necessary, including the cheating.

Edited by ko12010

I want him to play week 2 and I want the Bills D to dismantle him. Beating the Patriots with Jimmy Garopolo won't mean anything.

I want him to play week 2 because if not I fear that Billy Bellyache** finds a way to cheat Jeanine* to victory. I would never ever ever hear the end of it from the Pats** peanut gallery. And it would burn my brain trying to think how much money that ay-whole has paid to the refs over the years. I can only hope Rex has a Dr. Evil master plan to finally bring down the cheating reign of the dirty cheating cheats.

** = proven/known dirty cheaters

* = potential future dirty sucky cheater (a.k.a - cheater by association to dirty cheaters)

Why do people keep saying things like this? The Pats** won their four Super Bowls by a combined 16 points. Obviously Brady and Belicheck believed everything they did was necessary, including the cheating.

Um, maybe because Brady is a first ballot HOF quarterback, regardless? He's one of the best to ever lace 'em up, which is why I don't understand his insecurity.

GO BILLS!!!

I'd like the league to come right out and say he is a lying cheating dishonest person and although they won't banish him they are ashamed to have a person of such low moral character in their midst and they can't wait until he retires. I'd like to have Bridget Moynihan read the proclamation with Tom's bastard son at her side. The video of the reading should be shown at every NE* home game right after the national anthem for the next 11 years; one for every football he deflated.

I don't care about the suspension one way or the other.

Hilarious. Can't argue with that.

Looking at all the facts, including the texts, I really don't see how one can think the Pats* did nothing here, and it's ridiculous to think that Tweedledum and Tweedledumber did anything to the footballs without Brady's knowledge. To me, all you needed to see were those texts, the receipt of gifts from Brady (did he give anything of similar value to others at Tweedledumber's level?) and the fact that Tweedledumber, who had no responsibility for footballs other than being the guy who brought them out to the field, was given a needle on game days. Case closed. 4 games.

Um, maybe because Brady is a first ballot HOF quarterback, regardless? He's one of the best to ever lace 'em up, which is why I don't understand his insecurity.

GO BILLS!!!

So you don't think winning four Super Bowls has anything to do with him being considered a first ballot HOF quarterback? They won all of those games by the skin of their teeth. He loses those, and then he's not considered a first ballot HOFer. The smallest of margins separate who wins NFL games, as we have seen all too many times with the Bills, who seemingly could have been 10-6 many times instead of 6-10. Brady and Belicheck cheated in order to get that edge, the edge that could help ensure they came out on top time and again.

So you don't think winning four Super Bowls has anything to do with him being considered a first ballot HOF quarterback? They won all of those games by the skin of their teeth. He loses those, and then he's not considered a first ballot HOFer. The smallest of margins separate who wins NFL games, as we have seen all too many times with the Bills, who seemingly could have been 10-6 many times instead of 6-10. Brady and Belicheck cheated in order to get that edge, the edge that could help ensure they came out on top time and again.

Of course I think winning four Super Bowls has something to do with his status as a 1st ballot HOFer. Not sure where you got the impression I didn't.

It's the entire body of work that gets judged, though.

Splitting hairs about the quality of his SB victories is really a reach, though. It took a helluva lot of good QBing to be in a position to win close SB games in the first place.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9