Carucci: Glenn likely "odd man out" in contract extensions

I agree with that from a money perspective. I was merely attempting (which if I'm reading you correctly, you understand) to rank the players in terms of quality of play during their NFL career.

I think that, next to Williams and Okung, Beachum/Glenn would be the highest-paid LTs on the market (if all 10 hit it...which is very unlikely).

understandable. though i think its somewhere between possible and likely that those guys trail off a bit towards their career average and glenn rises towards his making him not just higher potential but legitimately a better 2016 prospect too.

I actually think that Albert money is right on for Glenn. Both college guards that switched to tackle, started as rookies, missed a few games here and there, but were mostly good. Albert didn't make the pro bowl until his 6th year in the NFL, so they're tracking very similarly IMO.

I think if Glenn wanted only $8M/year or so, this deal would be a no-brainer. If I were his agent, I'd be telling him not to even respond to offers that don't start with a 9.

id agree, generally

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking he'll be one of the top 2 or 3 OTs available, as I don't figure many of them will hit the market.

If I'm ranking the guys on that list, based on total body of work in the NFL and potential going forward, here's my shot at the top 10:

1. Trent Williams

2. Andrew Whitworth

3. Russell Okung

4. Donald Penn

5. Kelvin Beachum

6. Cordy Glenn

7. Nate Solder

8. Andre Smith

9. Anthony Castonzo

10. Joe Barksdale

If we assume that Williams, Okung, and Beachum get re-signed (based on age, cap room, and propensity for those teams to keep FAs), then I have Glenn as the #3 available OT.

I think assuming these guys will get re-signed is a safe assumption, and they should be resigned for something close to their value. Glenn would get an exaggerated (more than he's worth) contract if the market was diminished. However, with just those 3 guys gone I don't think the market is that much smaller and his value would not be too exaggerated. Thus he would still not be top 5 in worth (this is still the benchmark were using right?).

I think it was later in the board (will eventually learn multi-quote), but $8 million sounds right to me with all things considered. I think his agent would be insane to not listen to any offers lower than $9 million.

Edited by YattaOkasan

I think assuming these guys will get re-signed is a safe assumption, and they should be resigned for something close to their value. Glenn would get an exaggerated (more than he's worth) contract if the market was diminished. However, with just those 3 guys gone I don't think the market is that much smaller and his value would not be too exaggerated. Thus he would still not be top 5 in worth (this is still the benchmark were using right?).

I think it was later in the board (will eventually learn multi-quote), but $8 million sounds right to me with all things considered. I think his agent would be insane to not listen to any offers lower than $9 million.

For all I know, you could be right. I was convinced that Jerry Hughes could've gotten $11M/year on the open market, but he ended up taking $9M/year to stay here, so what you're saying could indeed be the case. As of now, it would surprise me.

We are't going to pick high enough next year to pick a QB in 1st round. But maybe find a suitable LT in the draft.

Cody Kessler should be available in the first round and he is exactly what we need. An extremely accurate passer who makes very few mistakes. He has all the makings of being the next Drew Brees IMO and we should be all over him.

Cody Kessler should be available in the first round and he is exactly what we need. An extremely accurate passer who makes very few mistakes. He has all the makings of being the next Drew Brees IMO and we should be all over him.

Next year really does have the potential to be a very good QB draft. There are as many as 9 guys that--with solid 2015 campaigns--could end up as 1st or 2nd round picks:

Hackenberg

C. Jones

Cook

Kessler

Goff

Hogan

Boykin

Prescott

Brissett

Next year really does have the potential to be a very good QB draft. There are as many as 9 guys that--with solid 2015 campaigns--could end up as 1st or 2nd round picks:

Hackenberg

C. Jones

Cook

Kessler

Goff

Hogan

Boykin

Prescott

Brissett

Unless EJ or TT become dominant, I suspect we will be taking a QB in the first round.

Hackenberg

C. Jones

Cook

Kessler

Goff

Hogan

Boykin

Prescott

Brissett

No offense to you, Bandit, but a post like this is made every offseason about the next year's QB class. We'll be lucky if 1, maybe 2, prove worthy of a high pick. It would be nice if 4-5 of them did it, but that is a once in a generation type thing.

WRT Glenn, while I understand the economics of it all, and certainly trust Whaley/Pegula more than any other regime over the past 30 years, it sucks to let an OL go when this team so desperately needs continuity there. It'll be a major bummer letting him walk as it seems the cycle continues on Offense.

No offense to you, Bandit, but a post like this is made every offseason about the next year's QB class. We'll be lucky if 1, maybe 2, prove worthy of a high pick. It would be nice if 4-5 of them did it, but that is a once in a generation type thing.

WRT Glenn, while I understand the economics of it all, and certainly trust Whaley/Pegula more than any other regime over the past 30 years, it sucks to let an OL go when this team so desperately needs continuity there. It'll be a major bummer letting him walk as it seems the cycle continues on Offense.

I agree that there are way too many "next year is THE year for QB's " posts. I'm only saying that there's a lot of potential in next year's class.

I seem to remember exactly the same being said about Matt Barkley this time three years ago "he doesn't have a big arm but is accurate and doesn't make mistakes... second coming of Drew Brees..."

No to USC Quarterbacks.

I understand there is not enough money under the Salary Cap guidelines to sign everybody, but given Dough Whaley's propensity for Drafting good LBs and the absolute disaster that was LT prior to Cordy Glenn in a BILLS uniform, it does not compute with me for the BILLS to not guarantee Glenn is a Buffalo BILL for the next five to six years. Good to great LTs (and right now I think I would put Glenn on the good with potential to be great ranking / scale) do not just get picked in a Draft and then start right away without a hiccup or problem in making NFL adjustments. Glenn is young and he's their guy, this should be an absolute necessity. Dareus, Glenn, Gilmore, Bradham - in that order, IMHO, in terms of priority and where to cut the fat if necessary.

I seem to remember exactly the same being said about Matt Barkley this time three years ago "he doesn't have a big arm but is accurate and doesn't make mistakes... second coming of Drew Brees..."

No to USC Quarterbacks.

Carson Palmer aside, it's a pretty bad list going back decades. Sweet collection of tailbacks though.

Hackenberg

C. Jones

Cook

Kessler

Goff

Hogan

Boykin

Prescott

Brissett

I'm not a huge college football junkie (don't have a team I follow religiously, so I just casually watch the big games each week). But during the season it would be good to have a thread to track these guy's progress. I do think that this year's upcoming class will be head and shoulders above the class of 2015.

would rather lose bradham, if that's an option.

I can see that. I just love watching Bradham play, so I'd rather let Glenn walk (though, I'm not convinced we have to let anyone of those guys walk with the way Terry and Kim are running things).

No to USC Quarterbacks.

Kessler might be the exception. I think he takes a big step this year and winds up being one of the top 3 QBs taken, maybe the second behind Cook.

Kessler might be the exception. I think he takes a big step this year and winds up being one of the top 3 QBs taken, maybe the second behind Cook.

Personally I need to see a lot more to be convinced. I think Cook is favourite to be the first guy taken at this stage.... I wonder where Hackenburg might end up..... if he is still there outside of the top 10 then even if we are picking in the 20s I think a move up for him looks achievable.

I expect next year to be a bit like 2014... no slam dunk 1st overall pick at Quaterback but 4 or 5 guys with potential first round grades and the Draftnicks to be all over the place in terms of predicting the order.

Personally I need to see a lot more to be convinced. I think Cook is favourite to be the first guy taken at this stage.... I wonder where Hackenburg might end up..... if he is still there outside of the top 10 then even if we are picking in the 20s I think a move up for him looks achievable.

I expect next year to be a bit like 2014... no slam dunk 1st overall pick at Quaterback but 4 or 5 guys with potential first round grades and the Draftnicks to be all over the place in terms of predicting the order.

I completely agree Kessler still needs to prove it. He's all potential right now, he's shown flashes but has yet to put it all together for a full season. He could completely bomb this year.

I understand there is not enough money under the Salary Cap guidelines to sign everybody, but given Dough Whaley's propensity for Drafting good LBs and the absolute disaster that was LT prior to Cordy Glenn in a BILLS uniform, it does not compute with me for the BILLS to not guarantee Glenn is a Buffalo BILL for the next five to six years. Good to great LTs (and right now I think I would put Glenn on the good with potential to be great ranking / scale) do not just get picked in a Draft and then start right away without a hiccup or problem in making NFL adjustments. Glenn is young and he's their guy, this should be an absolute necessity. Dareus, Glenn, Gilmore, Bradham - in that order, IMHO, in terms of priority and where to cut the fat if necessary.

I would love to keep him too. My question is how much do you pay him to keep him around? I think $8 million per year for 5 years seems great (but I haven't really looked into it much yet).