Who will be the first to win a playoff game: Bills or Sabres

Who will win a playoff game first: Bills or Sabres?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Which Buffalo team will be the first to win a playoff game?

2. 2. Which young star will be first to make the Pro Bowl/All-Star team?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went Bills and Sammy (even though I think Eichel is an all star as a rookie). Actually, aren't the NHL All-Star game and the Pro Bowl played on the same day??? If so, whichever is played first. They both go this year IMO.

The Sabres have a decent shot at the playoffs next year. I think that the Bills are a playoff team. if the Sabres are 50/50 to make the playoffs this year the Bills will have 1 or 2 chances to win a playoff game before the Sabres play a playoff game (obviously if they make it in '15-'16 the Bills will have only 1 chance).

The Bills are closer now and the Sabres job gets more difficult. It is really easy to rebuild from the bottom. You just deal away every piece that has any value. You do not have to worry about the cap (except the floor) and you have no expectations. The job gets tough when you are now trying to take this young talent and build around it. You need the right fits and skill sets and personalities need to mesh. FA mistakes (talking to you Leino) can cripple you. Doug Whaley's job at this point is a thousand times more difficult than Tim Murray's but that is about to change. The Sabres now have the foundation that they need to cultivate and grow. If so they will be a championship contender in a few short years. The window for the Bills is open now. They have to be a little lucky to get to the top (everyone does).

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Better yet, which will be the first to make the playoffs?

i thought that was too easy. I think everyone would pick the Bills. But it's a tougher question on who will win first, because getting to the playoffs is the first hurdle yet could be achieved by beating some bad teams in the reg season, getting a little lucky and squeezing in as a WC (which I would certainly take!!). Beating a playoff team, without a playoff QB, most likely on the road, is a different story.

I went Bills and Sammy (even though I think Eichel is an all star as a rookie). Actually, aren't the NHL All-Star game and the Pro Bowl played on the same day??? If so, whichever is played first. They both go this year IMO.

The Sabres have a decent shot at the playoffs next year. I think that the Bills are a playoff team. if the Sabres are 50/50 to make the playoffs this year the Bills will have 1 or 2 chances to win a playoff game before the Sabres play a playoff game (obviously if they make it in '15-'16 the Bills will have only 1 chance).

The Bills are closer now and the Sabres job gets more difficult. It is really easy to rebuild from the bottom. You just deal away every piece that has any value. You do not have to worry about the cap (except the floor) and you have no expectations. The job gets tough when you are now trying to take this young talent and build around it. You need the right fits and skill sets and personalities need to mesh. FA mistakes (talking to you Leino) can cripple you. Doug Whaley's job at this point is a thousand times more difficult than Tim Murray's but that is about to change. The Sabres now have the foundation that they need to cultivate and grow. If so they will be a championship contender in a few short years. The window for the Bills is open now. They have to be a little lucky to get to the top (everyone does).

i feel like the Sabres are going to have their "franchise QB" so to speak and will be building around him. The Bills don't have that guy (yet) and will be trying to win in other ways. Both will be fun to watch imo!!

I went Sabres and Watkins. If the question was which will be the first to advance in the playoffs I'd switch from Sabres to Bills

i was thinking that might have been a better question ... But then again it's so hard to win an NHL playoff series. The CBJ made the playoffs for the first time in 2009 and got swept. They didn't make it again until 2014 and finally won a game or two but not the series. This year, missed playoffs again with a ton of injuries early. Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't see the Bills winning a playoff game until Brady retires so they can actually host a game in Buffalo. It also might not be a bad idea to find a QB who can actually throw a football accurately down the field. I think the Sabres definitely win a playoff series in the 2016 season when they add a top 6 forward and figure out the goaltending. Bottom line is that it is going to be fun to watch the Bills D and the Sabres O for a few years here.

i feel like the Sabres are going to have their "franchise QB" so to speak and will be building around him. The Bills don't have that guy (yet) and will be trying to win in other ways. Both will be fun to watch imo!!

It's kind of tricky though because unless it is a goaltender it is like having a great RB or WR (which the Bills have both of). As good as Eichel is he cannot win on his own like a LeBron or Andrew Luck. Sidney Crosby snuck into the playoffs.

Sammy Watkins wasn't even the best WR in his class, let alone the best (or even 2nd best) player.

He would not have gone 1st overall in any other draft class.

Jack Eichel is #2 overall in his draft class, and would've been #1 in any other class.

*Eichel will be the highest regarded athlete Buffalo has seen in decades.

Edited by Bubbles from Sunnyvale

Sammy Watkins wasn't even the best WR in his class, let alone the best (or even 2nd best) player.

Jack Eichel is #2 overall in his draft class, and would've been #1 in any other class.

and...?

Can we let the dude play nhl games first?

It's kind of tricky though because unless it is a goaltender it is like having a great RB or WR (which the Bills have both of). As good as Eichel is he cannot win on his own like a LeBron or Andrew Luck. Sidney Crosby snuck into the playoffs.

Eichel will have way more talent around him than Sydney Crosby...it's not even close.

and...?

And...this is just typical. ;-)

Clearly you don't watch much hockey.

The "Bills Mafia."

I guess I don't know what you are referring to. The fact that more people have voted for Sammy to make the pro bowl before Eichel makes the all-star game? I didn't see the relevance to that with your post.

Most of this isn't true. He was the highest rated player to multiple teams in a 3 year window 2013-2015. He was the highest rated WR since Julio and Green.

Eichel will have way more talent around him than Sydney Crosby...it's not even close.

That has nothing to do with the point that was being made. The point was that only a dominant goalie can carry a team like a franchise QB or NBA superstar. A star forward can't.

I'm pretty sure the only reason the Bills/Watkins are winning these polls by a large margin is because this is a Buffalo Bills board. Objectively, the Sabres/Eichel is much more likely.

Like others have pointed out, a much greater percentage of teams make the NHL playoffs and the team would have many opportunities to win just one game.

With regards to an All-Star appearance, it's easier for an individual's talent to shine on a hockey team than it is for a WR who is so greatly dependent on a team's offensive line and QB, both of which leave something to be desired on the Bills.

Edited by earthtobrint

If it was "make the playoffs" then Bills by a wide margin. But it is tougher to win an NFL playoff game than an NHL playoff game, so I gotta go with the Sabres. Regarding Sammy and Eichel, I think Sammy gets hurt by not having a QB to give him the ball so I gotta go with Eichel. Great thread, by the way.

Not just that, but in a 16-game football season, a team's more subject to random chance than in an 82-game hockey season. For as good as the Bills roster looks, all it takes is significant injury to Dareus and Mario to go from a hypothetical 11-5 to 8-8. When you've got an 82-game season, you've got more room to overcome bad luck.

Not that I'm saying the Sabres will be the first - it's not that deterministic. But the betting odds are on them.

I think a better question would be, will the Bills win a playoff game before the Sabres win a playoff series?

Either way, I think the Sabres are in a better position than the Bills. They have a lot of talent in the pipe. The Bills have some holes are going to keep them out of the playoffs for a while (I hope I am wrong on that).