EJ Manuel's film session games 1-4

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems pretty biased..

Sure is, but watching the right side of the OL trying to block is painful. Sometimes only one passing option on a given play and then watch it not being executed properly are signs of a really poorly coached and designed offense.

Seems pretty biased..

Probably. There are a lot of folks in the media just as biased killing EJ.

He was 2-2 with basically the same stats as Tannehill through 4 games. But EJ is the worst qb ever to some.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

This is great analysis!! This shows just how bad the offensive line was, especially Pears!! The Texans game really accentuated their ineptitude. I'm so glad Marrone sat EJ because the poor guy would have been killed. I'm sure Rex, Whaley and Roman saw the same thing in film study and still have high hopes for EJ Manuel. Don't think it's so much biased, just that some can't handle the truth.

No excuse can disguise EJs faults.

Imo

Imo we all know this is what you think

But Imo I believed we had a hack of an oc and a poor oline

If ej gets cut or traded be it but I'm giving him training camp and preseason with a real coach before I give up

This is great analysis!! This shows just how bad the offensive line was, especially Pears!! The Texans game really accentuated their ineptitude. I'm so glad Marrone sat EJ because the poor guy would have been killed. I'm sure Rex, Whaley and Roman saw the same thing in film study and still have high hopes for EJ Manuel. Don't think it's so much biased, just that some can't handle the truth.

San DIego with the stunts really showed teams how to beat our line, pretty easily and consistently.

One thing that would be cool to see in the future is some sort of helmet lens or something that can actually show what a QB is looking at every play. That would make analyzing their ability to break down defenses in real time a lot easier.You can pretty much tell already but that's the best way to evaluate QBs I think.

I still think the Manuel hate is insane. He's made more plays than any prospect we've had in the last decade and a half. I think between our 3 guys one will step up and play well at QB this year.

Sure is, but watching the right side of the OL trying to block is painful. Sometimes only one passing option on a given play and then watch it not being executed properly are signs of a really poorly coached and designed offense.

That's pretty much what I got from it too. That and Pears should have been benched before week 4.

I don't know if EJ will start with the Bills or even be here in a year but what I'm pretty sure of is that EJ will get better every year because he's smart, mature and a hard worker - a couple people I know were interested in Alex Smith as a QB over EJ what gets me about that is Alex Smith had 4 terrible seasons and two Meh seasons before he started playing well.

His footwork is atrocious. That's why he's so inaccurate. When he starts to throw he locks his legs. It's gotta flow

Usually makes the right read but he's late every single time. Gotta speed it up

Yeah. I hope he was just so brow beaten by Marrone, that loosening up will improve his timing. The footwork is bad.

I tallied every pass that was thrown in these sessions. I thought it would be interesting to see how many passes were 3 step drops - 5 step drops - 7 step drops - less than 3 steps - Play Action/Roll Outs - and Shotgun (If the pass was from the shotgun but was also play action I gave a tally for both). I'm definitely not an expert on what all of this could mean in terms of play calling and how it would correlate to a young QB vs maybe a veteran. I thought everyone could kind of chime in on their thoughts based on this information.

My novice observation is clearly shotgun was the overwhelming formation. Manuel struggled IMO throwing off his back foot. Even in the limited drop backs he just doesn't put pressure on that back foot on the last step and doesn't come forward with a confident throw. In the shotgun this was even more obvious to me, he hopped a couple times and then shows lazy footwork and seems to flick the ball instead of coming off the back foot.

What does this information mean? What if anything in terms of play calling for a young QB should have been done different by the old coaching staff?

Bears

Less than 3 - 0

3 step - 2

5 step - 3

7 step - 0

Roll out/Play action - 9

Shotgun - 22

Dolphins

Less than 3 - 1

3 step - 0

5 step - 3

7 step - 0

Roll out/Play action - 8

Shotgun - 26

Chargers

Less than 3 - 1

3 step - 1

5 step - 0

7 step - 0

Roll out/Play action - 7

Shotgun - 46

Texans

Less than 3 - 1

3 step - 1

5 step - 2

7 step - 2

Roll out/Play action - 8

Shotgun - 42

Edited by Triple Threat

Marrone destroyed this team.

Orton was no better than EJ and now we still don't know about EJ.

I think he will start but I also see the faults others point out.

I can not see how EJ can be judged by any of us with Marrone and Hackett running the offense.