Crystal Ball: Top Prospects for 2016 NFL Draft

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Brown's 2016 NFL mock draft
Defensive tackle talent and teams desperate for a quarterback help figure to have the greatest impact on round one of the 2016 NFL draft.

19. Buffalo

LB, DL, S

Top choice: DT Jarran Reed - Alabama

CB Eli Apple – Ohio State

A linebacker of interest to Buffalo goes a pick before them, but they’re more than happy to scoop up a hustling run stuffer who offers more pass rush than some might think. Trading down is possible.

@NFLHQ

Hall of Fame WR @Andre_Reed83 is joining the HQ crew LIVE right after the break. Find out what he thinks @buffalobills should do w/ pick #19

@WGR550

For the next hour, @ChrisBrownBills will be live in studio with Howard and Jeremy to talk the NFL Draft! Tune in: http://v6.player.abacast.net/2103

@SalSports

Here is my Final Mock Draft before the real thing begins. With a full explanation and video of the Bills pick: http://www.wgr550.com/CAPACCIO-Mock-Draft-4/22705185

19. Buffalo Bills - Jarran Reed - DT, Alabama

This was a choice between Sheldon Rankins and Reed for me. And the decision came down to Reed’s ability to play the 5-technique (outside shoulder of the offensive tackle), 3-technique (outside shoulder of the guard), or even nose tackle right away in Rex Ryan’s hybrid defense. But no doubt if both are still on the board as they are in this mock it could go either way

Capaccio and Chris Brown both Mock Reed to the Bills at 19.

@NFLHQ

Hall of Fame WR @Andre_Reed83 is joining the HQ crew LIVE right after the break. Find out what he thinks @buffalobills should do w/ pick #19

@WGR550

For the next hour, @ChrisBrownBills will be live in studio with Howard and Jeremy to talk the NFL Draft! Tune in: http://v6.player.abacast.net/2103

@SalSports

Here is my Final Mock Draft before the real thing begins. With a full explanation and video of the Bills pick: http://www.wgr550.com/CAPACCIO-Mock-Draft-4/22705185

Capaccio and Chris Brown both Mock Reed to the Bills at 19.

I don't see Rankins getting to 19 anyway, but I don't see many teams choosing Reed over Rankins, given the option.

I don't see Rankins getting to 19 anyway, but I don't see many teams choosing Reed over Rankins, given the option.

I think it's darn close between the two.

@viccarucci

My 3 #Bills thoughts on the eve of the #NFL Draft: 'Bama options & QB risks. New on BN Blitz: https://t.co/7tcbJ6JC6Y

Let's face it. The best/smartest/safest thing the Bills can do with the 19th overall pick of the draft is use it on a defensive lineman. They might be tempted to select a quarterback if Paxton Lynch is still available, as more than a few analysts believe will be the case. They might be tempted to trade down if they're convinced they can get THE guy or at least a guy they want lower in the first while picking up, say, an extra third-round choice.

I think it's darn close between the two.

@viccarucci

My 3 #Bills thoughts on the eve of the #NFL Draft: 'Bama options & QB risks. New on BN Blitz: https://t.co/7tcbJ6JC6Y

Let's face it. The best/smartest/safest thing the Bills can do with the 19th overall pick of the draft is use it on a defensive lineman. They might be tempted to select a quarterback if Paxton Lynch is still available, as more than a few analysts believe will be the case. They might be tempted to trade down if they're convinced they can get THE guy or at least a guy they want lower in the first while picking up, say, an extra third-round choice.

I'm trying to talk myself into Jarran Reed at 19, but it just isn't happening.

When I watch him, I don't see a versatile player; I see a pure run-stuffer. Sure, he can line up anywhere along the line, but he's a 2-gap player, a space-eater. He's darn good at that, but I don't believe that's the best use of the 19th overall pick...not when there are guys available that can play that role and more along the DL. For example, I've beaten the drum for Chris Jones pretty heavily, and I think he's close to the same level of run defender as Reed, and can also line up anywhere. The difference is that he can play in a 1-gap scheme as well, and can collapse the pocket on passing plays. I don't see much of Reed doing that.

If I want a guy that can eat space and 2-gap, I can get him later. Kenny Clark can eat space and give you more versatility, and he's probably a round 2 pick. Ditto for Austin Johnson, who's a day 2 pick.

DJ Reader and Vincent Valentine are day 3 picks, and both are classic 0-tech players--less flexibility to move them around, but equally good at eating up blockers.

I'm not going to get too worked up until he's announced as the pick, but I'm not enthused about him at 19.

The other thing that bothers me is that the Reed pick at 19 would be very out of character for a Rex-coached team. If you look at the high picks the Jets spent on DLmen when Rex was there, they weren't spent on 2-gap, run-stuffing types; they were spent on thick-bodied, long-limbed guys that were disruptive against the run and the pass, scheme-diverse, and able to play in a 1-gap or 2-gap, even or odd front. That's not Reed. That description matches guys like Jones, Vernon Butler, Robert Nkemdiche, and the 2 Clemson kids.

I'm trying to talk myself into Jarran Reed at 19, but it just isn't happening.

When I watch him, I don't see a versatile player; I see a pure run-stuffer. Sure, he can line up anywhere along the line, but he's a 2-gap player, a space-eater. He's darn good at that, but I don't believe that's the best use of the 19th overall pick...not when there are guys available that can play that role and more along the DL. For example, I've beaten the drum for Chris Jones pretty heavily, and I think he's close to the same level of run defender as Reed, and can also line up anywhere. The difference is that he can play in a 1-gap scheme as well, and can collapse the pocket on passing plays. I don't see much of Reed doing that.

If I want a guy that can eat space and 2-gap, I can get him later. Kenny Clark can eat space and give you more versatility, and he's probably a round 2 pick. Ditto for Austin Johnson, who's a day 2 pick.

DJ Reader and Vincent Valentine are day 3 picks, and both are classic 0-tech players--less flexibility to move them around, but equally good at eating up blockers.

I'm not going to get too worked up until he's announced as the pick, but I'm not enthused about him at 19.

Well said and pretty much my feeling. The problem last year was pass rush. Why would you take the DL, of all of them considered there, that is the biggest question mark rushing the passer?

I think that Reed is a great space eater and would help free people up. I would prefer Jones, Butler or Rankins (if there he is my pick) if they are set on a DL. I'd also be fine with an edge guy (Clemson duo or Spence). I know that I am probably in the minority on this but I would be fine with Nkemdiche as well. I know that the production hasn't matched the skill but he is just so gifted I would be okay with trying to develop it.

If it is Reed, I will try not to be upset. I was mad last year at Darby and was dead wrong. I feel like the Bills have drafted well over the last few years and I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. If they take a QB at 19 though, I reserve the right to change my mind.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Well said and pretty much my feeling. The problem last year was pass rush. Why would you take the DL, of all of them considered there, that is the biggest question mark rushing the passer?

I think that Reed is a great space eater and would help free people up. I would prefer Jones, Butler or Rankins (if there he is my pick) if they are set on a DL. I'd also be fine with an edge guy (Clemson duo or Spence). I know that I am probably in the minority on this but I would be fine with Nkemdiche as well. I know that the production hasn't matched the skill but he is just so gifted I would be okay with trying to develop it.

If it is Reed, I will try not to be upset. I was mad last year at Darby and was dead wrong. I feel like the Bills have drafted well over the last few years and I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. If they take a QB at 19 though, I reserve the right to change my mind.

Same.

@NFL_CFB

.@MikeMayock's positional top-5 rankings 5.0 Movement at QB, RB, WR and more --> http://on.nfl.com/26u9J3R

ChDnQwLWwAABh2Y.jpg
Offensive tackle

1. Laremy Tunsil, Ole Miss
2. Ronnie Stanley, Notre Dame
3. Jack Conklin, Michigan State
4. Taylor Decker, Ohio State
5. Germain Ifedi, Texas A&M

Fall: Jason Spriggs, Indiana (T-5)

Interior defensive line

1. DeForest Buckner, Oregon
2. Sheldon Rankins, Louisville
3. A'Shawn Robinson, Alabama
4. Robert Nkemdiche, Ole Miss
5. Jarran Reed, Alabama

Rise: Robinson (4), Nkemdiche (NR)
Fall: Reed (3), Andrew Billings, Baylor (5)

Edge rusher

1. Joey Bosa, Ohio State
2. Leonard Floyd, Georgia
3. Shaq Lawson, Clemson
4. Emmanuel Ogbah, Oklahoma State
5. Kevin Dodd, Clemson

Linebacker1. Myles Jack, UCLA
2. Reggie Ragland, Alabama
3. Darron Lee, Ohio State
4. Su'a Cravens, USC
5. Deion Jones, LSU

Rise: Jack (2), Ragland (4), Cravens (NR)
Fall: Jaylon Smith, Notre Dame (1), Jatavis Brown, Akron (T-5)

Safeties

1. Karl Joseph, West Virginia
2. Vonn Bell, Ohio State
3. Keanu Neal, Florida
4. KeiVarae Russell, Notre Dame
5. Sean Davis, Maryland

Rise: Neal (4), Davis (NR)
Fall: Russell (3), Justin Simmons, Boston College (5)

4-27: HOWARD SIMON SHOW HOUR 3 WITH BILLS LEAD JOURNALIST CHRIS BROWN (42:34)

Least surprising news on the day before the draft. Laremy Tunsil's stepfather is suing him. Tunsil basically kicked **** out of him for beating his mother and the coward is grabbing for his signing bonus.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/ole-miss/2016/04/27/former-ole-miss-tackle-laremy-tunsil-being-sued-stepfather/83589304/

Can't blame a guy one bit for defending his mom in a situation like that.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

Among other topics: How much will off-field issues impact Joey Bosa, Ezekiel Elliott, Robert Nkemdiche and Noah Spence? Who is rising fast and could bust everyone's mock drafts?

By Will Brinson | CBS Sports NFL Writer

The Cowboys and Jaguars could be engaged in a battle to move up a spot or two in order to nab the top defensive back in the draft. Jacksonville moves first in this mock draft, and grabs the versatile Jalen Ramsey.

BUF.png19. Bills

Noah Spence, DE, Eastern Kentucky: Rex Ryan can snag a talented but troubled defensive lineman who doesn't have the same baggage as someone like Robert Nkemdiche.

@TheDraftWire

An updated final #NFLDraft order for all seven rounds http://usat.ly/1WSP5q2

ChD1szvWUAAr8uO.jpg

BUF.png19. Bills

Noah Spence, DE, Eastern Kentucky: Rex Ryan can snag a talented but troubled defensive lineman who doesn't have the same baggage as someone like Robert Nkemdiche.

While I like Spence as a football player (truth be told there's not much to dislike on-the-field), I keep coming back to what fits and what does not fit in Rex's Defense...And of all the good edge rush guys I think Spence may fit the least...He's not an OLB...He's too slow to cover and very, very rarely did it in College...He's on the smaller side...He's not fast...Look at the last 3 D-Linemen that were Drafted for/by Rex...Wilkerson, Richardson, and Coples...These were all VERY big dudes...And they still played Coples outside...

Spence is a picture perfect fit for a 4-3 DE...But I'm not sure about him in Rex's Defense, especially when you're talking about replacing Mario...I think if you're going to take him and have him stand up and do nothing else but rush the passer...Then he would be OK...But I think the OLB's in Rex's scheme have more responsibilities than that...

I just feel like adding one of these big DT's to the rotation that can play multiple positions on the front is the way they are going to want to go to fill what I think is the biggest hole, and that's the hole left by Williams departure...I don't know if Spence fits...I'm not even sure Lawson or Dodd fit...Heck...They do not think Jarius Wynn fits on the D-line...I know Chris Jones, Vernon Butler, and Jarran Reed fit...Nkemdiche fits great too...but...you know... B-)

While I like Spence as a football player (truth be told there's not much to dislike on-the-field), I keep coming back to what fits and what does not fit in Rex's Defense...And of all the good edge rush guys I think Spence may fit the least...He's not an OLB...He's too slow to cover and very, very rarely did it in College...He's on the smaller side...He's not fast...Look at the last 3 D-Linemen that were Drafted for/by Rex...Wilkerson, Richardson, and Coples...These were all VERY big dudes...And they still played Coples outside...

Spence is a picture perfect fit for a 4-3 DE...But I'm not sure about him in Rex's Defense, especially when you're talking about replacing Mario...I think if you're going to take him and have him stand up and do nothing else but rush the passer...Then he would be OK...But I think the OLB's in Rex's scheme have more responsibilities than that...

I just feel like adding one of these big DT's to the rotation that can play multiple positions on the front is the way they are going to want to go to fill what I think is the biggest hole, and that's the hole left by Williams departure...I don't know if Spence fits...I'm not even sure Lawson or Dodd fit...Heck...They do not think Jarius Wynn fits on the D-line...I know Chris Jones, Vernon Butler, and Jarran Reed fit...Nkemdiche fits great too...but...you know... B-)

I can't see them drafting Spence because, like you said, he doesn't play Mario's position. He plays Hughes' position and they're not putting Hughes on the bench. It would be a wasted pick.

Lawson, Dodd, Jones, Butler, and Bullard are the right fit.

The 2016 NFL Draft kicks off at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday and wraps up on Saturday. Here's the schedule for Rounds 1-7, including TV coverage times and networks.

The top 100 prospects

With quarterbacks Goff and Wentz expected to be off the board after the first two picks, the real drama begins with the Chargers at No. 3. Will San Diego take the top-rated prospected in tackle Laremy Tunsil, go defense and take the versatile Jalen Ramsey or opt to trade down?

Complete list of prospects: Overall and by position

Dane Brugler recently updated the 100 prospects on his draft board. Tunsil, Myles Jack, Ramsey, Joey Bosa and Ezekiel Elliott were his top five.

In-depth summary on all 100 players: Complete list

1. Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss (6-5, 305, 5.23, Jr.)
2. Myles Jack, LB, UCLA (6-1, 245, 4.56, Jr.)
3. Jalen Ramsey, DS, Florida State (6-1, 202, 4.49, Jr.)
4. Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State (6-5, 275, 4.82, Jr.)
5. Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State (6-0, 225, 4.42, Jr.)
6. Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss (6-2, 210, 4.52, Jr.)
7. DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon (6-7, 290, 4.87, Sr.)
8. Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville (6-1, 303, 4.92, Sr.)
9. Jared Goff, QB, California (6-4, 210, 4.82, Jr.)
10. Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State (6-5, 231, 4.84, RSr.)