Crystal Ball: Top Prospects for 2016 NFL Draft

Haha. Good pull. Didn't Williams from Auburn get kicked off the team?

Either way, I'm excited to label players busts seconds after the draft!

I don't hate this idea. But we created a big hole in the d line though.

He sure did!! People were mad that he got a combine invite!! He went from a "top 10 pick or a 2nd rounder with question marks" to a guy that shouldn't have been invited to the combine.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He sure did!! People were mad that he got a combine invite!! He went from a "top 10 pick or a 2nd rounder with question marks" to a guy that shouldn't have been invited to the combine.

One pattern I see is that Qbs who are rated highly should probably come out right away. It always seems like there is s guy who is going to be a top pick, goes back for another year, and his stock falls big time. I call it the Matt Leinart Wants More College Girls Effect.

Leave when you're hot.

@walterfootball

Lots of updates to the 2016 NFL Draft Prospect Meetings Tracker - http://walterfootball.com/prospectMeetings/byteam

Buffalo Bills

• Roberto Aguayo, K, Florida State (COM)
  • Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson (COM)
  • Su'a Cravens, OLB, USC (COM)
  • Josh Doctson, WR, TCU (COM)
  • Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson (COM)
  • Jared Goff, QB, California (COM)
  • B.J. Goodson, ILB, Clemson (COM)
  • T.J. Green, S, Clemson (COM)
  • Christian Hackenberg, QB, Penn State (COM)
  • Tyler Higbee, TE, Western Kentucky (COM)
  • Kevin Hogan, QB, Stanford (COM)
  • Jayron Kearse, S, Clemson (COM)
  • Shaq Lawson, DE/3-4OLB, Clemson (COM)
  • Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis (COM)
  • Emmanuel Ogbah, DE/3-4DE, Oklahoma State (COM)
  • Charone Peake, WR, Clemson (COM)
  • Dak Prescott, QB, Mississippi State (COM)
  • Jalen Ramsey, CB/S, Florida State (COM)
  • D.J. Reader, DT, Clemson (COM)
  • Rashawn Scott, WR, Miami (EW)
  • Noah Spence, OLB/DE/3-4OLB, Eastern Kentucky (COM)
  • Charles Tapper, DE/3-4DE, Oklahoma (COM)
  • Anthony Zettel, DE/DT, Penn State (EW)

One pattern I see is that Qbs who are rated highly should probably come out right away. It always seems like there is s guy who is going to be a top pick, goes back for another year, and his stock falls big time. I call it the Matt Leinart Wants More College Girls Effect.

Leave when you're hot.

100% agree

I said Cardale Jones should have left last year and not worked out for anyone. Just let them go off of his 3 games. He would have still been a 1st round pick. The more scouts see of guys the more they pick them apart.

100% agree

I said Cardale Jones should have left last year and not worked out for anyone. Just let them go off of his 3 games. He would have still been a 1st round pick. The more scouts see of guys the more they pick them apart.

Agree. I hate that it's bad for kids to go back to school but it's a business decision.

I will say on a weird way, this might help Jones develop into something. If he was drafted high last year, he would been forced on the field before he was ready and people would be ready to give up on his after year one.

I thought Joe B. just brought up a good point on WGR just now

The bills could very well go OT with that first round pick

Yes, they have a need, but what OT that will be available will be worthwhile? I could live with Conklin, but don't really love Taylor Decker. I am struggling to think of Spriggs as a 1st rounder despite his very good combine performance. Who would be worth that pick? I could live with solid starter that isn't spectacular.

For those old enough to remember, could Spriggs be this year's John Fina? Fina was an under-powered athletic OT who became an OK starter for a number of years. He was the target of a lot of fan's anger, but he wasn't nearly as bad as his critics suggested.

Edited by OldTimer1960

First Draft Podcast On The Bills' Draft Targets

Mel Kiper Jr., Todd McShay and Chris Sprow discuss the Bills' needs heading into the NFL Draft and talk about some potential targets for Buffalo.

@RQUINN619

45 #Bills centric NFL Draft Scouting reports by @RQUINN619 & @RDotDeuce up. Follow along http://buildingtheherd.com/category/scout-team/scouting-reports/

CcmLBupWwAA3CC-.jpg

I'm curious if any of you have players in mind that you would hate the Bills to draft. For any legit reasons at all (athletic testing, on-field play, off-field issues).

I'd hate Robert Nkemdiche (severely overrated/off-field), Jayron Kearse (soft) and Kevin Hogan (javelin thrower).

Yes, they have a need, but what OT that will be available will be worthwhile? I could live with Conklin, but don't really love Taylor Decker. I am struggling to think of Spriggs as a 1st rounder despite his very good combine performance. Who would be worth that pick? I could live with solid starter that isn't spectacular.

For those old enough to remember, could Spriggs be this year's John Fina? Fina was an under-powered athletic OT who became an OK starter for a number of years. He was the target of a lot of fan's anger, but he wasn't nearly as bad as his critics suggested.

If we went o line with the 1st pick I'd want to trade deep into the 1st in order to get a 2nd but I don't think the value hold up for the 19th pick. Maybe we could get another 3rd

I'm curious if any of you have players in mind that you would hate the Bills to draft. For any legit reasons at all (athletic testing, on-field play, off-field issues).

I'd hate Robert Nkemdiche (severely overrated/off-field), Jayron Kearse (soft) and Kevin Hogan (javelin thrower).

Hogan is on my list for sure (I think he's brutal).

Other guys I really don't want:

Paxton Lynch - looks too erratic and timing-based for me

Will Fuller - good short-area quickness/speed combo, but his overall body of work doesn't agree with the workout numbers

Miles Killebrew - I watched 3 full games, and I honestly don't remember him making a single impact play, yet I see him talked about as a top-50 pick

Also, I wouldn't hate Leonard Floyd, but I think he's got a long way to go before he can make an impact as an edge defender.

Will Fuller - good short-area quickness/speed combo, but his overall body of work doesn't agree with the workout numbers

Miles Killebrew - I watched 3 full games, and I honestly don't remember him making a single impact play, yet I see him talked about as a top-50 pick

Also, I wouldn't hate Leonard Floyd, but I think he's got a long way to go before he can make an impact as an edge defender.

I'm with you on Lynch. Nothing about him screams NFL starter to me. Fuller is going to get pressed in the NFL so I don't think his speed is going to get fully utilised unless he adds some functional strength to release consistently. Not seen enough of Killebrew.

Floyd isn't a guy I chase around the board but if he was there in the 3rd, I'd take him for his athletic ability alone. Doubt he lasts that long but I agree that he's going to need time to play where the Bills have a hole. Kinda like how I see Darron Lee as a Bills fit - not ready to do it now (Floyd @ SLB/Lee @ ILB) but, at some point, there's value in the athlete alone. Could justify either going much earlier for more optimal fits.

I'm with you on Lynch. Nothing about him screams NFL starter to me. Fuller is going to get pressed in the NFL so I don't think his speed is going to get fully utilised unless he adds some functional strength to release consistently. Not seen enough of Killebrew.

Floyd isn't a guy I chase around the board but if he was there in the 3rd, I'd take him for his athletic ability alone. Doubt he lasts that long but I agree that he's going to need time to play where the Bills have a hole. Kinda like how I see Darron Lee as a Bills fit - not ready to do it now (Floyd @ SLB/Lee @ ILB) but, at some point, there's value in the athlete alone. Could justify either going much earlier for more optimal fits.

Agreed on all counts.

I'm starting to think that they may try to move down from the 19 spot if someone wants a shot at the #1 RB or #3 OT; put themselves in a position to add another 3rd or 4th round pick and take a guy like Fackrell or Correa in the late 20's to play the edge. They can come back in round 2 and grab an ILB or a DL if they love one there.

I'm more or less in favor of waiting until at least round 2 to grab DL unless they're totally blown away by someone. There will be immediate contributors there...and as you know, I'm all about DJ Reader as a day 3 pick.

Agreed on all counts.

I'm starting to think that they may try to move down from the 19 spot if someone wants a shot at the #1 RB or #3 OT; put themselves in a position to add another 3rd or 4th round pick and take a guy like Fackrell or Correa in the late 20's to play the edge. They can come back in round 2 and grab an ILB or a DL if they love one there.

I'm more or less in favor of waiting until at least round 2 to grab DL unless they're totally blown away by someone. There will be immediate contributors there...and as you know, I'm all about DJ Reader as a day 3 pick.

Obviously, free agency will change things as the offseason goes along but I would be tempted to go DL in the 1st and 2nd if the talent falls that way. If I could get a DL combination like Rankins/Billings at 19 and Chris Jones or Austin Johnson (depending on the guy taken in the 1st) in the 2nd, that would be serviceable starters at 0/5-tech for 4 years pretty cheap. Takes advantage of the class depth and fills holes with talent.

I know where you're coming from though. Guys like Tapper, Ward, Reader & Shittu could be 4th rounders (or later) with how deep the IDL class is. I've done dozens of Fanspeak mocks and gone several different ways without feeling like I've had a bad draft. This class has me torn.

Floyd and Lee are in the same boat for me, both of them will be drafted too high for my liking. Both players will need time to make an impact in the NFL and their roles remain undefined for me.

Connor Cook is the guy i hope the Bills avoid, most fans agree on Hogan being terrible but I think they are also missing something on Cook. The ball comes off his hand incorrectly like he is aiming and not throwing. His attitude is another question mark. Stay away. Plenty of other developmental prospects with much higher upsides than Cook. He may be NFL ready quicker than a Jones but his floor is exponentially lower.

Jones was impressive in the one game that everyone watched. Then I heard the next year he got benched. Not sure about the back story. I do like to see him backing up Tyrod but I have no idea where teams may take him in the draft. Too much smoke to see clearly at this point.

Obviously, free agency will change things as the offseason goes along but I would be tempted to go DL in the 1st and 2nd if the talent falls that way. If I could get a DL combination like Rankins/Billings at 19 and Chris Jones or Austin Johnson (depending on the guy taken in the 1st) in the 2nd, that would be serviceable starters at 0/5-tech for 4 years pretty cheap. Takes advantage of the class depth and fills holes with talent.

I know where you're coming from though. Guys like Tapper, Ward, Reader & Shittu could be 4th rounders (or later) with how deep the IDL class is. I've done dozens of Fanspeak mocks and gone several different ways without feeling like I've had a bad draft. This class has me torn.

I'd love to see the Bills come away with two front seven starters in rounds 1 and 2. This is a draft where that's a good possibility.

I'd love to see the Bills come away with two front seven starters in rounds 1 and 2. This is a draft where that's a good possibility.

Would still love Noah Spence or Shaq Lawson in the 1st too. I'm seemingly alone on the Ragland at 19 island now but he still floats my boat.

I'm like a fat kid in a candy store.

What's your take on Darren Lee?

Optimal fit is as a 4-3 Will. Impressive athlete with average instincts and not as good in coverage as the athletic ability would have you think.

Don't like the Year 1 fit with the Bills, likely that his value to 4-3 teams is higher. With all the defensive talent in the class, it would be a shame to reach on him. Impact players can be had at 19.

Optimal fit is as a 4-3 Will. Impressive athlete with average instincts and not as good in coverage as the athletic ability would have you think.

Don't like the Year 1 fit with the Bills, likely that his value to 4-3 teams is higher. With all the defensive talent in the class, it would be a shame to reach on him. Impact players can be had at 19.

I wonder if Ragland has allayed enough concerns about him being just a two down LB given all of the emphasis on the passing game in the NFL. Personally, I think Lee would do well in a 3-4 scheme with a variety of roles as a pass rusher and cover guy on RBs and TEs.