Polian critical of Bills not drafting a QB

He got 1.2 mill per from Buffalo with a chance to earn 7 mill if he becomes a starter.

You just answered your own question.

a.) He was not going to see the field in Baltimore

b.) Ergo, he would never have the opportunity to get paid $7 million

c.) In Buffalo he might get that opportunity

d.) He was a UFA and made the decision to leave--it had nothing to do with how Ozzie perceived his value as a backup

Easy peasy lemon squeezy....

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure the Ravens had a choice. Like I said, If he were a top backup QB then I don't see Ozzie Newsome letting him leave at all. Ozzie keeps his good players, and its a big reason why they make the playoffs / super bowls.

Some backup QB's are making upwards of 5+ mill per nowadays. He got 1.2 mill per from Buffalo with a chance to earn 7 mill if he becomes a starter. I think the big reason he took the Bills offer is because Rex has had past interest in him, and he does appear have a legit shot against EJ & Cassell from what Rex is saying. Hence my comparison to Gailey in 2010. In Denver he knew he had no chance to start.

Still, the guy has to be better then Tuel to get an actual backup spot, and he is no big deal in my view. 6'1 208, and drafted in the 6th round of the 2011 draft. In his four year career 19 of 35 for 199 yards 0 TD's 2 INT's. Basically a short, running QB with accuracy issues. A Russell Wilson he isn't. JMO

https://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/2011/03/22/tyrod-taylor-qb-virgina-tech-scouting-report/

Can't read the link here at work but will later - predictable what's in there, though. Too short to be a starter, doesn't look downfield long enough, NFL DE and LB are faster so he won't be able to buy as much time with his feet, and misses some throws he should make consistently. Close ? And it was in '11 before he had 4 years to have actual QB coaching - most of his VT issues are traceable to a QB coach that was just Beamer's buddy - think Marrone and Hackett here - awful.

So these are just the types of people and reports that TT can't wait to prove wrong. Speaks volumes in today's world that he'd take less $ for a chance to start. Wanting it isn't the same as getting it, tho... I'm rooting for him and if he actually gets picked to start over Cassel and EJ, there's no doubt he'd have earned it and would have done at least some "proving wrong".

At the risk of getting ahead of ourselves, not sure what the standard would be for shocking the NFL.

Just starting a season or two ain't it.

Super Bowl W and MVP would do it.

Lots of distance between those two scenarios .. can't wait to see it all play out.

Watching the post draft analysis on espn and polian said he thought the bills had a good draft, but then went all melancholy about the fact they didnt take a Qb and would be entering the season with EJ manuel and "retread" Matt Cassel. He sounded like Eeyore.

Imo the bills signing TT is just like drafting a qb. The benefit is he's been a disciple already behind a SB winning qb for a few years. I didn't think any of the QBs left after the top 2 would be able to play in the NFL this year. The experts said all had big flaws and were all projects, none projected starters. So wth is Polian's issue. Plus we have 3 project QBs as it is.

He might be right. I'll leave it at that, like him, nobody had any idea.

Can't read the link here at work but will later - predictable what's in there, though. Too short to be a starter, doesn't look downfield long enough, NFL DE and LB are faster so he won't be able to buy as much time with his feet, and misses some throws he should make consistently. Close ? And it was in '11 before he had 4 years to have actual QB coaching - most of his VT issues are traceable to a QB coach that was just Beamer's buddy - think Marrone and Hackett here - awful.

So these are just the types of people and reports that TT can't wait to prove wrong. Speaks volumes in today's world that he'd take less $ for a chance to start. Wanting it isn't the same as getting it, tho... I'm rooting for him and if he actually gets picked to start over Cassel and EJ, there's no doubt he'd have earned it and would have done at least some "proving wrong".

At the risk of getting ahead of ourselves, not sure what the standard would be for shocking the NFL.

Just starting a season or two ain't it.

Super Bowl W and MVP would do it.

Lots of distance between those two scenarios .. can't wait to see it all play out.

I know I'd be happy with a QB that could produce a winning record, as the last one previous to Orton was Doug Flutie, and the one before that was Jim Kelly. I like underdogs too, and that's why I'm rooting for EJ to step up, and stand out this year. Betting on Taylor to get the starting job is like betting on that 100 to one nag.

I know I'd be happy with a QB that could produce a winning record, as the last one previous to Orton was Doug Flutie, and the one before that was Jim Kelly. I like underdogs too, and that's why I'm rooting for EJ to step up, and stand out this year. Betting on Taylor to get the starting job is like betting on that 100 to one nag.

SKILLS:

1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

Arm Strength: 4.0

Accuracy: 2.5

Mobility: 4.0

Decision Making: 3.0

Mechanics: 3.0

Pocket Awareness: 2.0

Intangibles: 3.0

So here were his skill grades in 2011 according to this dude. Pocket awareness is the only weakness at 2.0 which is the one that can be fixed the most with 4 years with NFL QB coaching and OC work - as can Accuracy and Decision making. I disagree with the Mobility of only 4 even back then. He's an elite runner and has elite elusiveness by any metric - best QB 40 time in 10 years - Vick being the last before RG3 and Top 5 3 cone of all time.. These ratings do not take into account that he took less $ for a chance to start - definition of the Intangible "wants it".

100 to 1 ain't it here. I'd say more like 4 to 1 - to start and then win the AFC East - especially in Roman's system with the rest of the weapons.

I hope you're wrong mainly for the Bills sake - best option right now and a very high ceiling IMO.

Edited by moshermw

• 3 weeks later...

So the genius speaks on the topic of the QBs in this draft...

"He's a quarterback. Thats what were looking at Tim as. Were not playing him at any other position. We looked at the prospects that we saw in the draft and didnt think there was a guy that was a draftable guy. And we didnt think it was a great priority free-agent class in terms of quarterbacks."

Philadelphia coach Chip Kelly, on the reasons for signing free-agent quarterback Tim Tebow.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/06/01/nfl-power-rankings-peter-king-daughter-wedding/3/

Edited by YoloinOhio

Well, the acquisition of Matt Simms should certainly shut Mr. Polian and others up. The Bills now have a "developmental QB" on the roster. He must absolutely love us again, now that Whaley's addressed that pressing need. :ph34r:

I respect Bill for his work in Buffalo, but the game has passed him by. This was a terrible QB class and three of the four QBs on the roster are all much better options for the 2015 season than any of the QBs available past the second pick. Enjoy the Hall of Fame, Bill, you earned it. But with respect, it's time to hang up your spurs.

This. Bill was great, but Indy under his leadership was a perennial "close, but no cigar" team with one of the greatest QB of all time at the helm and driven onto the rocks when Peyton went out.

He'd clearly lost a step, and there were all the stories about his terrible temper and behavior.

I was never more happy when he decided not to take whatever position the Pegulas offered him. I was also very under-impressed with his contributions to the media around the Marrone firing. Marrone candidate for coach of the year, "smart enough not to pretend it's a campfire" and so forth.

There is no reason the Bills should have drafted a QB. They needed to bring in 2 QB, and they did.

This. Bill was great, but Indy under his leadership was a perennial "close, but no cigar" team with one of the greatest QB of all time at the helm and driven onto the rocks when Peyton went out.

He'd clearly lost a step, and there were all the stories about his terrible temper and behavior.

I was never more happy when he decided not to take whatever position the Pegulas offered him. I was also very under-impressed with his contributions to the media around the Marrone firing. Marrone candidate for coach of the year, "smart enough not to pretend it's a campfire" and so forth.

There is no reason the Bills should have drafted a QB. They needed to bring in 2 QB, and they did.

Agreed!

Hey, the man said draft a QB. Is he supposed to tell you which one too?

more specifically he criticized them for not drafting a QB to compete for the starting job. This year. Because there were all those guys ready to do that... Er....

No, no, no Nanker it only counts if we DRAFT a QB, Mr Polian says so

Ah! So THAT'S the ticket. So each year we should draft a Brett Favre, or Steve Young like their teams did. :thumbsup:

I'm on board with that.