Motorcycle

Corp000085

I'm 36 years old and I will be finishing my masters program in the next couple of weeks. Driving a motorcycle has really intrigued me since childhood, but I had an epiphany recently; I can actually do this. So, I'm signing up for the weekend training course at my local community college sometime in May or June. I've never sat on a bike before, but assuming all goes well, I'll be a licensed driver shortly, and I'll be in the market!!!

I'm not "married" to a certain style or brand of bike... With that said, anyone got any suggestions for a soon-to-be new rider willing to drop money on a first bike? Some have said get a small junker to practice with for a few months before upgrading. Others have said, try a bunch out and get the one that fits you... I truly don't know where to begin. Any suggestions would be welcome!

I waited until I was 42 to learn how to ride/get a license.

Taking the course at the community college is a great first step. If it's possible for you to learn the basics prior to the course, that'll be even better. I had literally never even sat on a motorcycle, running or otherwise, before I decided to learn. If you can drive a standard car, you'll be fine.

As far as a bike to get, are you going to be a cruiser rider or a crotch rocket rider? I chose cruiser.

I bought a 2002 Yamaha V-Star 650 for $3,000 two years ago on Craigslist. It had less than 1,200 miles on it, so it was like brand new. If you're in a position to buy new or newer, I'd suggest anything between a 650cc and 1100cc.

Part of me, after two years with my bike, wants to upgrade to a bigger bike. But a bigger part of me says, "hell, the thing goes at least 80MPH and gets there in a hurry, so why the hell do I need something bigger?" I invested about $600 in a new exhaust, and when I chose to do that, I chose to commit to keeping the bike for at least a few years.

However, if I had the money, I'd likely upgrade to an 1100. Anything more than that, in my opinion, is too much bike for a new rider. I'm not sure where you live, but where I am (Glens Falls area) the riding season is from May - September, for the most part. That means I'm not riding for half the year. So I'm not going to consider myself an "experienced" rider until I get some more long trips under my belt.

If you're going new, any make bike is going to be decent. Many want the Harley - including me, sometimes - but they do have more problems than the Japanese bikes. I think if I was going to go American, I'd go Triumph or Indian.

I'm very happy with my Yamaha and the guy who taught me to ride has a V-Star 1100 and he loves it, too.

Good luck and ride safe.

I specifically waited to start riding until I had "settled down" and trusted myself not to be an idiot. I grew up around riding and have known riders who have had accidents that resulted in everything from broken bones to paralysis and death. I love to ride, but I know the dangers of it.

I always planned on going the small/cheaper bike route when I started riding, but I changed my mind when it was time to buy. I got a Yamaha Raider (1900) and I'm glad I did. As long as you go into it knowing you can't max out speed and fly around turns and corners, there's nothing wrong with a big bike. If I had bought it 19, I'd probably have killed myself out of stupidity. As it stands I've been riding for 5 years and haven't laid it down (yet).

I'd say it depends on how much money you have to spend and how responsible you think you are. Can you afford to buy two or three bikes as you decide you want something bigger (it will happen). If so, that's probably the way to go. For me, I didn't want the expense or hassle of trying to sell my bikes along the way.

I have a Suzuki Boulevard 750cc. Its a great bike, cruiser style, looks like a Harley. Now that I'm more experienced would like a larger bike. This one is for sale, I'll give you the discount price of $3000. It has low miles 2832.

That's a sweet deal.

You first have to decide if you want a bike to ride around town or if you plan on taking it on longer rides. That will help determine what size of bike. Also do you plan to have your wife or girlfriend ride on mc with you? That is also something you want to consider.

I've had several bikes. I got my motorcycle license before my car license. I've had everything from crotch rockets to small cruisers to large cruisers. My biggest regret in life is getting rid of my Harley Davidson Fatboy. It was an 1100 but was so well balanced it drove like a dream. The only downfall was on long rides, without a windshield, it would get tiring because you're battling the wind. What I learned is if you think you may want a Harley or any particular bike in the future get it now. The learning curve isn't bad as once you learn to balance and ride any bike will be easy to adjust to. If you're taking a beginners course at a CC they usually have their own bikes that are a smaller cruiser type bike. You'll gain plenty of confidence throughout that course to feel comfortable riding. One other thing. Unless you buy one equipped with after market pipes I would highly suggest getting them. Yes they are loud but what a lot of people don't understand is it's for your protection. If a car can hear you they are much more likely to look for you. If they can't you can be difficult to see for obvious reasons.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions guys... I registered and paid for the course. It's over a weekend in the middle of May. I work near the local DMV, so I can stop by on lunch and get the motorcycle endorsement, assuming that I pass the coursework. After that, I'll just see what's available. The HD dealer is also close by, so I'll probably start there. If I'm confident enough after the course to try a big bike, I may just drop coin on a new Harley. If I feel the need for a smaller/clunker bike to build confidence, I'll go Craigslist shopping. From all of your responses, it does not seem that there is a right or wrong answer for a first bike. Just get the one that feels good. So, assuming I pass Step A and Step B, the Step C for me, which is shopping, should be loads of fun!!

Thanks for the suggestions guys... I registered and paid for the course. It's over a weekend in the middle of May. I work near the local DMV, so I can stop by on lunch and get the motorcycle endorsement, assuming that I pass the coursework. After that, I'll just see what's available. The HD dealer is also close by, so I'll probably start there. If I'm confident enough after the course to try a big bike, I may just drop coin on a new Harley. If I feel the need for a smaller/clunker bike to build confidence, I'll go Craigslist shopping. From all of your responses, it does not seem that there is a right or wrong answer for a first bike. Just get the one that feels good. So, assuming I pass Step A and Step B, the Step C for me, which is shopping, should be loads of fun!!

Awesome, man! Keep us posted. Good luck with the course and be safe!

Did you get your permit yet? Definitely want to get the study guide. There are practice tests online, too, which I found very helpful. You'd think it was all common sense - and it is to an experienced rider; but not necessarily to an inexperienced one.

I have been riding for 30 years, It is a blast. Right now I have a 2005 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe. 1300cc. If you think you might be intrested I am sellinng my bike to upgrade to a Goldwing. You taking the course is a very good first step into the world of Motorcycle

riding. I say if your going to take along a pasenger you might want to look at a 750cc model or larger. It just has the power too haul 2 adults. I would also say that a Harley seems to brake down alot more than others. I believe you can get into a better bike for less money if you stay away from the Harley. But it is a personal chioce on the kind of bike. Again if you think you might be intrested in my bike send me a massage and I will get in touch with you about it. Enjoy and ride safe.

I have been riding for 30 years, It is a blast. Right now I have a 2005 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe. 1300cc. If you think you might be intrested I am sellinng my bike to upgrade to a Goldwing. You taking the course is a very good first step into the world of Motorcycle

riding. I say if your going to take along a pasenger you might want to look at a 750cc model or larger. It just has the power too haul 2 adults. I would also say that a Harley seems to brake down alot more than others. I believe you can get into a better bike for less money if you stay away from the Harley. But it is a personal chioce on the kind of bike. Again if you think you might be intrested in my bike send me a massage and I will get in touch with you about it. Enjoy and ride safe.

I agree about the Harley. I grew up in a Harley house...my mom, stepfather and most of their friends had Harleys. I knew that when it was time to ride I would buy a FatBoy...had the bike picked out and everything. When the time came, I started doing a lot of research just to make sure I was making the best decision and eventually convinced myself to go another direction though it was HARD to overcome my bias.

During my research, I pretty much came to the conclusion that as a whole, Honda makes the best bikes. Unfortunately I couldn't find one that I really liked and that felt right for me. Next up was Yamaha, and I struck gold there with the Raider. A far better bike overall than the Fatboy and about half the price.

The one thing Harley has going for it is the community. You can find Hog groups almost anywhere in the country to ride with if that's important to you. Oh yeah, their apparel line can't be beat!

Yeah, I'd certainly begin with a smaller bike for a year or two.

I'd actually recommend getting a little dual-sport as a first bike. (Kawasaki 250 KLX or similar.) This will give you a chance to hone your motorcycling skills and let you explore more than just pavement.

When you're ready to take the next step, I personally recommend a bike like mine. Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport. GREAT all-around bike.

Good luck, enjoy and PAY ATTENTION!

This is the way to go. You never rode, go for the HD big bike of 900#. How tough can it be?

Seriously, start small and cheap, see if it is for you. Want ads are full of people that bought bikes and found it difficult to ride and scary too. Above posters mentioned a Boulevard and VStar, great starter bikes. Light low center of gravity. Buy used, ride a couple years and sell for almost the same price you bought. I started with a Shadow. Nice bike. Riding is expensive too. You will be stunned with what HD's cost, new or used. Plus clothes, parts, repairs, bike nights, Sturgis trips.................

My baby http://s967.photobucket.com/user/Markymannn/media/picsof7-16-2009025.jpg.html?o=27

Edited by MarkyMannn

I got a Honda Shadow 600 a few years ago for $2200, put 5k miles on it, and sold it to a friend for $1500. It was a great starter bike and I'd recommend that or a similar model to any newby, but my next bike will be at least a 1300. After riding my buddy's 1800 the 600 feels like a moped.

• 1 month later...

Well, I took the MSF Basic Rider Course this weekend and it was very enjoyable. We had 12 people, 11 guys and one lady. One father/son combo, one guy who was 78 years old, and the rest were guys like me, 35-55 who just wanted to learn before buying a bike. Friday night was a classroom course that evolved into an online training. Day 2 was 8am-2pm on the course and 3-6 in the classroom. Yesterday was 8-1 on the course and a classroom test. The end of the 2nd day course was the skills test. The road work was all low speed stuff: turning from a stop, u turns, sharp right and left turns, speeding up, shifting, and slowing/cornering, and hard braking. I did fairly well. If you want some youtube enjoyment, just search for "MSF box". I actually thought the box was the easiest. I lost points on my skills e v a l by stopping mid turn and putting my foot down because a cop came out of nowhere and told the instructor something. I suppose I could have argued for a redo, but I was only dinged there so no big deal.

The lady was asked to leave prior to the skills e v a l because she kept stalling and just wasn't getting it. They were pretty hardcore. They asked her to go to the staging area, had a 2 minute talk and she just left. One of the guys was excused because he failed the skills e v a l. He didn't bomb out or drop his bike or anything, but he accumulated errors enough to put him over the "fail" threshold.

Long story short, I'm finished now. We go to Disney World next week, so after that, I need to convince my wife that I need a bike. That course made riding intoxicating. It's VERY VERY fun, and once you get the hang of it, the basics come very easy. Sorta like riding a bike....

That's my mini update... Next one will come sometime later this summer with a bike!