Jameis Winston sued for sexual assault 2 weeks before draft

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me that's exactly what he's doing with the counter-suit. It's an aggressive stance to take in his defense.

It would only make sense to sue her after she loses her suit. They both can't win these suits. A counter suit isn't a defense at all. He still has to defend the suit agaisnt him. An "aggressive stance" suit doesn't accomplish that.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post. In order to win, he has to show damages. Obviously it hasn't harmed his football earning power. How will he prove it has hurt his endorsements?

Also, the notoriety of the case was already maxed out prior to her suing him, so the case seems baseless. If he did lose endorsements it's because endorsers think he raped the girl, not because she is suing him.

And what is going to be his plan of attack? He's going to get up in fron t of a civil jury and explain away the behavior of the cops, the university, his pals and then tell them how the girl "moaned" her consent?

His best move would be to vigourously defend the civil suit against him. Suing this woman, who won't "go away" as the result of his suit, is a bad business decision. Shocking....

Suit is for foregone endorsements, not draft position. I would think his agent and lawyer have a fair amount of information and ammunition to support that otherwise they wouldn't have made the claim.

It would only make sense to sue her after she loses her suit. They both can't win these suits. A counter suit isn't a defense at all. He still has to defend the suit agaisnt him. An "aggressive stance" suit doesn't accomplish that.

Actually counter suits are quite common in civil matters.

If you have daughters, I want you to think about what kinds of idiots are out there in the world to protect them from. This includes people who rush to give the benefit of the doubt to somebody with mounting evidence against them, and people who want to slander anyone who claims to be a victim of someone in a powerful position.

But given your uncanny ability to read between the lines and find something that isn't there, I am not surprised that this went over your head.

The troll stuff is rich, though. A-plus.

It wasn't an argument, it was a statement to consider for someone who is making a lot of baseless claims about the accuser. WEO laid out the real argument, which I haven't seen you refute with any authority.

what baseless claims did he make about the accuser? I don't think that you've read as much about the case as you think you have. If your entire base of knowledge on

the Jameis Winston/Erica Kinsman incident is solely from that new york times article you're leading a flawed arguement.

It wouldn't make any sense whatsoever to sue her after she loses to her suit. Why on earth would he want to extend the legal entanglements around this issue or have people continue to write about it? He's not doing it to win money from her, he's doing it in an attempt to discredit her claims and to force her to defend his lawsuit, costing her more resources. Now you have competing lawsuits that will certainly be settled together.

Yikes

@finebaum: "I think it's a consensus among FSU fans and boosters that he was an embarrassment to the University" - Bobby Bowden on Jameis Winston

i dont think thats shocking. though they wouldnt admit it publicly in a national championship hunt. which is also embarrassing for them.

Yikes

@finebaum: "I think it's a consensus among FSU fans and boosters that he was an embarrassment to the University" - Bobby Bowden on Jameis Winston

Yeah okay. Two of the most successful seasons in recent FSU history, and millions to the school. Sure.

really embarrassing people can still make a lot of money or win games.

No, they can't. Their "embarrassment" is cancelled out by both of those things. Especially when the "embarrassment" is petty theft, an allegation, and saying some curse words really loud that one time.

No, they can't. Their "embarrassment" is cancelled out by both of those things. Especially when the "embarrassment" is petty theft, an allegation, and saying some curse words really loud that one time.

We can agree to disagree as history shows this one could last years without you giving an inch. When you like a qb, you like a qb!

Suit is for foregone endorsements, not draft position. I would think his agent and lawyer have a fair amount of information and ammunition to support that otherwise they wouldn't have made the claim.

Actually counter suits are quite common in civil matters.

Any loss of endorsements came as a result of her claims he raped her and the subsequent revelations of the behavior of the police, the university and the testimony at the disciplinary hearing---not as a result of her lawsuit. Her lawsuit changed nothing regarding his marketability.

It wouldn't make any sense whatsoever to sue her after she loses to her suit. Why on earth would he want to extend the legal entanglements around this issue or have people continue to write about it? He's not doing it to win money from her, he's doing it in an attempt to discredit her claims and to force her to defend his lawsuit, costing her more resources. Now you have competing lawsuits that will certainly be settled together.

Well, for one, if she wins her suit, he has no basis to sue. If a civil jury finds he was responsible for sexually assaulting her, another jury isn't going to find that she ruined his endorsement value.

It seems clear that suing her isn't going to make her drop her suit. I doubt she will settle either. She wants him on record. Her big money payout will come from a generous FSU settlement no doubt in the works. She wants Winston on the stand.

We can agree to disagree as history shows this one could last years without you giving an inch. When you like a qb, you like a qb!

Nah, I just don't like the "hypocrisy," if you can call it that, of college athletics. No one at FSU was embarrassed when Jameis came out of the tunnel to play Oregon this year (they were after, for different reasons). They're pissing on him as he's leaving, and it's pretty obvious.

Any loss of endorsements came as a result of her claims he raped her and the subsequent revelations of the behavior of the police, the university and the testimony at the disciplinary hearing---not as a result of her lawsuit. Her lawsuit changed nothing regarding his marketability.

Well, for one, if she wins her suit, he has no basis to sue. If a civil jury finds he was responsible for sexually assaulting her, another jury isn't going to find that she ruined his endorsement value.

It seems clear that suing her isn't going to make her drop her suit. I doubt she will settle either. She wants him on record. Her big money payout will come from a generous FSU settlement no doubt in the works. She wants Winston on the stand.

By that token if he wins his suit she can't win hers.

And so much for that "Big FSU settlement no doubt in the works"....lol where do you get this stuff from? Like la'el Collins killed the mother of his child, when he always denied he was and tests confirmed!

By that token if he wins his suit she can't win hers.

And so much for that "Big FSU settlement no doubt in the works"....lol where do you get this stuff from? Like la'el Collins killed the mother of his child, when he always denied he was and tests confirmed!

Depends on who's case ends first.

Unlike in Collin's case, there is no question that FSU violated Title IX rules and mishandled this case. They can't successfully defend her suit agianst them. It would only make sense to settle. Don't you think?

Yikes

that wasn't the full quote of what bowden said, fwiw.

Yikes

Honestly, You have to be one of the most self-serving posters on this board. If you are gonna quote something -- you better either include the whole quote or put it in context.

Bowden: (laughing) Well, I think it's a consensus among Florida State fans, and boosters that he was an embarrassment in a lot of ways to the university. He won a lot of ball games, probably one of the best football players that ever attended Florida State, but he hurt himself off the field. The good news is that he's young enough to get over that, ya know it, and he's gotta do that. He just can't make those junior high school decisions that he made while he was in college.

In your haste to post something negative about Jameis, you also apparently missed this Bowden quote:

"This goes back to the best you've ever had -- that's the way I think people are looking at him," former Florida State coach Bobby Bowden said of Winston. "This young man is as good as anybody we've ever had. Maybe as a freshman, that's asking too much, but before he leaves here -- and he might do it this year."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9826209/florida-state-seminoles-quarterback-jameis-winston-living-lofty-expectations

or how about this headline -- since you're into those:

Jameis Winston winning over Tampa Bay teammates with work ethic

http://www.tomahawknation.com/2015/5/12/8589271/Jameis-Winston-Tampa-Bay-bucs-qb-rookie-work-ethic?_ga=1.24480122.112645985.1431522521

If you want to be a lousy blogger/gossip artist -- go apply to espn, wgr ot the Buffalo News.

Winston should counter sue. By the same common sense that Tom Brady must have known what was going on with inflategate, it's also common sense to deduce that Kinsman is lying to try and hit lotto. Her story changed over and over again, and has been dismissed at every level. She even had her aunt try to extort Winston for hush money.

As a parent, I look at the situation through the eyes of what would I do if my child was being framed by a gold digger looking for a payday. I know I would advise him to do exactly what Winston is doing. Pay her nothing, not one thin dime, and fight her every inch of the way. Let her legal bills skyrocket and teach others a lesson who might be tempted to play the same game.

Also as a parent, I would be appalled if my daughter used sex with celebrity athletes as a ways and means to wealth. I'm certainly doing my best as a father to teach my daughter better than that. Reinforce she's worth more than that. That she's not just a vagina cash machine. It's sad that society is still so backward and Neanderthal. In many ways, we're moving backward instead of forward in terms of our attitudes towards women and sex. We have devalued both to nothing more than a game of orgasm for dollars.

Honestly, You have to be one of the most self-serving posters on this board. If you are gonna quote something -- you better either include the whole quote or put it in context.

You do realize he copy & pasted a tweet and didn't make the quote himself, right? You might want to save your ammo for Paul Finebaum, who actually tweeted the quote that got you so upset.