NHL Playoffs

LB3

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Dynasty?

Maybe. Not supposed to be dynasties in capped game... Yet, you see them in all the games except MLBaseball... Go figure.

Kings have two cups, 'Hawks have 3, Bruins picked up one... That's the last 6 years.

One again, salary capped sports prove that big markets and fewer different teams make it to the big dance. They just raise the amount that is capped. Finally Cleveland and Golden State are in basketball, but looks like Cleveland may fall (good)... And hold on there, Golden State and the Bay Area w/one team really isn't that small!

Back to NHL. Who were the winning Cup team's opponents the last half decade? New York, Philly, Boston, Vancouver... All big markets. Gotta go back a bunch years... A decade ago to find Carolina (yes, I still cringe... But hey, they are small) and over a decade to see Tampa pick one up. That's it.

It will be an uphill battle for a team like the Sabres. Habs will enter the fold. I shudder to think Toronto too... Oh well...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Maybe. Not supposed to be dynasties in capped game... Yet, you see them in all the games except MLBaseball... Go figure.

Kings have two cups, 'Hawks have 3, Bruins picked up one... That's the last 6 years.

One again, salary capped sports prove that big markets and fewer different teams make it to the big dance. They just raise the amount that is capped. Finally Cleveland and Golden State are in basketball, but looks like Cleveland may fall (good)... And hold on there, Golden State and the Bay Area w/one team really isn't that small!

Back to NHL. Who were the winning Cup team's opponents the last half decade? New York, Philly, Boston, Vancouver... All big markets. Gotta go back a bunch years... A decade ago to find Carolina (yes, I still cringe... But hey, they are small) and over a decade to see Tampa pick one up. That's it.

It will be an uphill battle for a team like the Sabres. Habs will enter the fold. I shudder to think Toronto too.. Oh well...

Winning has nothing to do with market size. The Blackhawks were terrible for a decade before the salary cap era, making the playoffs ONCE in that time.

They caught lightening in a bottle because they were terrible for a decade, missing the playoffs nine out of ten years. They picked in the top seven 4 straight seasons, which netted them Toews and Kane. The rest of the roster was filled out the normal way, with mostly non-first round draft choices that were developed, a few veterans acquired via free agency or trades and a couple of firsts they didn't miss on (Seabrooke, Teravainen).

The secret to the whole thing was essentially the tank. The Kings weren't built much differently. The Sabres are following the model because it works. It has nothing to do with market size and everything to do with having your best players be your best players. Toews and Kane are regularly the Blackhawks best players in the post season. Kane's assist on the first goal last night was the dagger in the series.

And the Sabres are now as "Big Market" as any team in the NHL because our owner is rich. That's what being a big market generally means - it's about resources and revenue. The Sabres used to be forced to spend less money because the owners couldn't afford to compete. There was one season when the Redwings signed 3 or 4 free agents to deals that when added together were more than the Sabres' entire payroll. That ship has sailed.

Good post AD. If there is any truth to the notion that "big markets" have an advantage, well, the Sabres are pretty much a big market now because of the resources available to them.

That was a pretty good Final; hard to believe that when Kane put the game away it was the first 2-goal lead for either team in the entire series.

Damn this would be awesome in the streets of Buffalo, one of these years (please)....

Dynasty?

What if LA were to win the cup next year? Dynasty? Can there be overlapping dynasties? I guess there would have to be, if 3 out of 5 or 6 is the criteria. I think 1 more in the within the next 5 years and it's a dynasty for sure, right now it's a great run...IMO...

Edited by ricojes

Good post AD. If there is any truth to the notion that "big markets" have an advantage, well, the Sabres are pretty much a big market now because of the resources available to them.

That was a pretty good Final; hard to believe that when Kane put the game away it was the first 2-goal lead for either team in the entire series.

I agree... Thanks for that explanation AD, you put it in good perspective. Let's just hope it plays out this way!

Damn this would be awesome in the streets of Buffalo, one of these years (please)....

What if LA were to win the cup next year? Dynasty? Can there be overlapping dynasties? I guess there would have to be, if 3 out of 5 or 6 is the criteria. I think 1 more in the within the next 5 years and it's a dynasty for sure, right now it's a great run...IMO...

Where were those fans a decade ago... You couldn't give tickets away. Not that I am knocking the bandwagon... They really are fickle, which is annoying...

I agree... Thanks for that explanation AD, you put it in good perspective. Let's just hope it plays out this way!

Where were those fans a decade ago... You couldn't give tickets away. Not that I am knocking the bandwagon... They really are fickle, which is annoying...

I wouldn't have gone either. No way I'd have put money in Bill Wirtz' pockets. He was one of the worst owners in the history of American professional sports (Hawks' home games weren't even televised in Chicago until AFTER his death). His son has completely turned that franchise around and deserves the success he's worked so hard for.

I wouldn't have gone either. No way I'd have put money in Bill Wirtz' pockets. He was one of the worst owners in the history of American professional sports (Hawks' home games weren't even televised in Chicago until AFTER his death). His son has completely turned that franchise around and deserves the success he's worked so hard for.

There is 3.5 million people here... If you can't fill a 20k arena even with a guy like Wirtz @ the helm, then they aren't real fans. No need to justify the bandwagon... The team was never in jeopardy of moving, so that is not a threat.

I'd say he is one of the best owners... Purposedly surpressed the market for the benefit of his son. Maybe he just couldn't stand what the bandwagon is all about. He did have a Brown University business degree.

I guess w/me... Especially here, popularity breeds contempt. Oh, and my damn: "Stick to my ideals thing." Obviously, Old Man Wirtz stuck to his and set up Rocky nicely!

Yes. Both have ruled the WC. Except LA this year.

There is 3.5 million people here... If you can't fill a 20k arena even with a guy like Wirtz @ the helm, then they aren't real fans. No need to justify the bandwagon... The team was never in jeopardy of moving, so that is not a threat.

I'd say he is one of the best owners... Purposedly surpressed the market for the benefit of his son. Maybe he just couldn't stand what the bandwagon is all about. He did have a Brown University business degree.

I guess w/me... Especially here, popularity breeds contempt. Oh, and my damn: "Stick to my ideals thing." Obviously, Old Man Wirtz stuck to his and set up Rocky nicely!

Sometimes you're so stupid it defies the word.

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/November-2008/The-Breakaway/

Sometimes you're so stupid it defies the word.

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/November-2008/The-Breakaway/

Exactly what I said... Rocky repudiated everything the Old Man held dear. Why did he hold it dear. Where are they now. The fans that is. Sitting in $70,000 dollar seats. Ain't that great. They may have been perennial loser, but the real fans were there. Yeah, it was a stretch calling Old Man Wirtz, the best... I get the stupid part... But you are clueless where the game is going. That's not stupid. Bill was was set in his ways. Call him Ralph on steriods... Old-school.

The team is bigger, the game bigger, product on the ice way better... BUT is it really ALL that much better. The true fans are swamped/priced right out of the market, forever. It is now an elitist game in Chicago. Fly to Nashville to take in your team Chicago fans!

Blackhawks HC JOEL QUENNEVILLE wins 3 Stanley Cups in his 7 years there. Makes Babcock look like a very high paid slacker.

It's his core of Towes & Kane... And ability to mix 'em all up. I think a lot would produce the same with the flexibility those two players give a coach... Excpet Denis Savard of course... ;-) ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Exactly what I said... Rocky repudiated everything the Old Man held dear. Why did he hold it dear. Where are they now. The fans that is. Sitting in $70,000 dollar seats. Ain't that great. They may have been perennial loser, but the real fans were there. Yeah, it was a stretch calling Old Man Wirtz, the best... I get the stupid part... But you are clueless where the game is going. That's not stupid. Bill was was set in his ways. Call him Ralph on steriods... Old-school.

The team is bigger, the game bigger, product on the ice way better... BUT is it really ALL that much better. The true fans are swamped/priced right out of the market, forever. It is now an elitist game in Chicago. Fly to Nashville to take in your team Chicago fans!

It's his core of Towes & Kane... And ability to mix 'em all up. I think a lot would produce the same with the flexibility those two players give a coach... Excpet Denis Savard of course... ;-) ;-)

I'd rather watch a good team on television every day than a bad team in person even once. Wirtz' team was terrible in every sense of the word - the stars that made the team had nothing to do with them and the guys they developed left as soon as their first deals were up. Missing the playoffs 90% of the time isn't good business, period.

And I'm not clueless where the game has been going. I've been complaining about how the NHL is pricing regular people out of the building for 2 decades. It's greed in the purest form. Luckily my team isn't anywhere near where I live so it doesn't much matter to me. I can follow them for about $100 a year.

Blackhawks HC JOEL QUENNEVILLE wins 3 Stanley Cups in his 7 years there. Makes Babcock look like a very high paid slacker.

Because the Redwings and Blackhawks have similar talent, right? WRONG. All things being equal, the results likely aren't much different if any of the top 10 NHL coaches changed places.