Happy Tax Day

I explain that to people all the time. They say we know but it keeps us from spending it during the year. I ask them what they usually do with their refund. Their answer? Yup you got it. They spend it. It's their "vacation money" or my favorite is they pay off their credit card debt they ran up during the year. Almost none of them save it. :wallbash:

"But we could use the extra money every April..." No, no, NO! That's NOT how it works!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's their "vacation money" or my favorite is they pay off their credit card debt they ran up during the year. Almost none of them save it. :wallbash:

Last year, one of my employees said he needed me to pay for his hotel, car, etc. for travel because he was in debt up to his eyeballs and didn't have any room on his credit cards. This same guy had a two-week vacation to the Atlantis park with his wife and three kids scheduled. I asked him how he could do that if he can't even cover two nights at a Days Inn. You know what his answer was.

"But we could use the extra money every April..." No, no, NO! That's NOT how it works!

I used to say "would you give your money to a bank that paid you no interest..........." Well that argument doesn't really work these days.

Last year, one of my employees said he needed me to pay for his hotel, car, etc. for travel because he was in debt up to his eyeballs and didn't have any room on his credit cards. This same guy had a two-week vacation to the Atlantis park with his wife and three kids scheduled. I asked him how he could do that if he can't even cover two nights at a Days Inn. You know what his answer was.

"I won the tax refund lottery!!!"

When I see people with huge refunds I immediately know they can't afford their house.

"I won the tax refund lottery!!!"

When I see people with huge refunds I immediately know they can't afford their house.

"We need more deductions!" No, we need fewer deductions and lower taxes, so we get smaller refunds and less binge spending.

I had the discussion with my wife last night about "saving money," too. "We can save $400 on a new 60" TV!"

"So how much will it cost?"

"$700."

"So why don't we just not buy a new TV that we don't need, and save the whole $1100?"

Americans have such a weird, dysfunctional understanding of money.

My tax return is 99 pages long, ridiculous. We have a business and a couple commercial properties and some other investments. It doesn't need to be this hard. Can't even follow much of it. Have to trust the accountant. Oh, and the Democrats can take their fancy new 3.8% tax and shove it you know where.

My tax return is 99 pages long, ridiculous. We have a business and a couple commercial properties and some other investments. It doesn't need to be this hard. Can't even follow much of it. Have to trust the accountant. Oh, and the Democrats can take their fancy new 3.8% tax and shove it you know where.

That 3.8% is your "success penalty".

That's why they won't reform it. The tax code is a jobs program for accountants. Big Numbers will never let it be simplified.

But wouldn't I just be paying more for car repairs when there were more pot holes? the federal government wouldn't give as much money to the states if it didn't have as much. Government spending does improve our quality of life

^^^ The Gatorman Fallacy.

But wouldn't I just be paying more for car repairs when there were more pot holes? the federal government wouldn't give as much money to the states if it didn't have as much. Government spending does improve our quality of life

Just drive around them you idiot. So let's add driving to one of the things you know nothing about.

Your "you guys are so stupid for wanting to do away with government" argument has run it's course several times over.

Just drive around them you idiot. So let's add driving to one of the things you know nothing about.

Your "you guys are so stupid for wanting to do away with government" argument has run it's course several times over.

Ha, because you know I'm right

I suspect a lot of things the government does you take advantage of. Ever gone to visit relatives on the Interstate Highway system? If you want to bomb Iran you gotta have a lot bombs. They're expensive. The War on Drugs keeps you safe from pot heads, so you benefit from that too.

If a person really wanted a smaller government, these would be a few great places to start. End the War on Drugs, downsize the military and stop trying to be the world's police man/woman.

Not small enough to drown in a bath tub, but we'd be getting closer.

Most people can avoid potholes and most potholes are fixed with local and state tax dollars. I don't think you'll find anyone that thinks all government spending is bad, but to effectively defend this current level of Federal spending as beneficial and appropriate and what most taxpayers want would be a big chore.

Most people can avoid potholes and most potholes are fixed with local and state tax dollars. I don't think you'll find anyone that thinks all government spending is bad, but to effectively defend this current level of Federal spending as beneficial and appropriate and what most taxpayers want would be a big chore.

Avoid potholes? Sure, thats the answer.

The tax burden on middle class tax payers is historically at a lower level than since WW2 See the link i posted

Ha, because you know I'm right

You're right about what? The federal government fixes potholes? Not in !@#$ing Oakland they don't. Or that we all want to do away with government? Ummm, no. You're wrong there too.

I suspect a lot of things the government does you take advantage of.

Social Security: Last year, 24 percent of the budget - Nope, not yet

Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP, and marketplace subsidies: Four health insurance programs — Medicare, Medicaid, the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), and Affordable Care Act marketplace subsidies — together accounted for 24 percent of the budget in 2014 - Nope

Safety net programs: About 11 percent of the federal budget in 2014 - Nope

Right there is nearly 60% of the budget that I do not use. But hey I have ****ty roads to visit my relatives on. :rolleyes:

Avoid potholes? Sure, thats the answer.

The tax burden on middle class tax payers is historically at a lower level than since WW2 See the link i posted

You can thank George Bush for that.

You're right about what? The federal government fixes potholes? Not in !@#$ing Oakland they don't. Or that we all want to do away with government? Ummm, no. You're wrong there too.

I live in one of the more heavily taxed areas of the country. I wish they fixed the !@#$ing potholes.

I live in one of the more heavily taxed areas of the country. I wish they fixed the !@#$ing potholes.

The potholes where I live don't last for more than a day before someone is there fixing it. We absolutely get the best services in my county. It's pretty funny because the moment you leave my county for LA County, it's like leaving your driveway to drive through the Grand Canyon.

This says it all about your mentality. You don't have enough faith in your own ability to improve your life? You don't need and shouldn't want a outside entity control and influence your life path. Gatorman find your inner strength and abandon those who insist you need them to get through life pleasurably. It's a lie that in the end benefits only the parasites in power. You can do it.