Best NFL Columnist

plenzmd1

Just curious, between all the talking and print journalists that yap about the NFL who is your favourite, and which do you hate.

For me Greg Easterbrook at NFL.com(TMQ) is far and away my favorite. His column today on the Superbowl is great!!!. Really dissects how the Eagles were outcoached . These dude sees things the way I do.

Least Favorite is Salisbury. Typical ESPN, where shouting is valued over sense

Jerry Sullivan!!!  (Hes pointing a gun to my head as i type!!)  :w00t:  :lol:

232596[/snapback]

It is ironic that everyone hates Sully so much, when so many who hate him, regurgitate what he writes....he is negative, so are a lot of Bills fans..."Moe's their leader!" :lol:

I like Easterbrook, but I'd have to go with Peter King. TMQ is pretty thorough and a nice read, but it's the same column each week: don't blitz, look at these babes, don't run up the score, haiku, Star Trek complaint, etc). I'm not complaining. I just read his NFL.com column and his NY Times column for this week. Both are interesting, and no doubt that Easterbrook is the smartest NFL writer (he's a fellow at the Brookings Institute and editor of the National Review). I just enjoy King a little bit more.

Bill Simmons is really funny, but I wouldn't consider him strictly and NFL columnist. I like his picks each Friday, especially since he doesn't seem to do any better than any other gambler I know.

I like Easterbrook, but I'd have to go with Peter King.  TMQ is pretty thorough and a nice read, but it's the same column each week:  don't blitz, look at these babes, don't run up the score, haiku, Star Trek complaint, etc).  I'm not complaining.  I just read his NFL.com column and his NY Times column for this week.  Both are interesting, and no doubt that Easterbrook is the smartest NFL writer (he's a fellow at the Brookings Institute and editor of the National Review).  I just enjoy King a little bit more.

Bill Simmons is really funny, but I wouldn't consider him strictly and NFL columnist.  I like his picks each Friday, especially since he doesn't seem to do any better than any other gambler I know.

232635[/snapback]

I liked Simmons a lot better before the Pats started their run. It has never been easier to be a Pats homer, and this guy is definitely taking the easy way out. TMQ rules, though. His names for teams based on logos (ie. "Flaming Thumbtacks" for the Titans) have me laughing out loud. So what if he's a little formulaic? He's always interesting.

I like Easterbrook, but I'd have to go with Peter King.  TMQ is pretty thorough and a nice read, but it's the same column each week:  don't blitz, look at these babes, don't run up the score, haiku, Star Trek complaint, etc).  I'm not complaining.  I just read his NFL.com column and his NY Times column for this week.  Both are interesting, and no doubt that Easterbrook is the smartest NFL writer (he's a fellow at the Brookings Institute and editor of the National Review).  I just enjoy King a little bit more.

Bill Simmons is really funny, but I wouldn't consider him strictly and NFL columnist.  I like his picks each Friday, especially since he doesn't seem to do any better than any other gambler I know.

232635[/snapback]

Agree about the same column every week, but still love it. Used to like PK, but he is starting to get on my nerves. His rant, I believe this week, about Emmit, was to me just plain vindictive. And being a father of two small children who travels quite a bit, the nonsence about his daughters and travel problems are starting to get to me.

232580[/snapback]

I actually like Salisbury, even though he's gotten a bit over the top lately. He'll call them as he sees them, but occasionally takes the company line.

My favorite would have to be Vic Carucci. I like him because he's not loud, he doesn't assume anything, and he's very down-to-Earth. He's usually on the Bills radio pregame and/or postgame every week, so I get to hear him a lot. Also, he doesn't talk up the Bills so much just because he (kinda) works for them. He's been straightforward and fair ever since I've been listening to him - about 3-4 years now. No BS with him.

Least favorite would have to be Jerry Sullivan. He should work for the Globe, since all he does is say how bad things are and rarely offers a solution that's not already obvious. Even if he did work in Boston right now, he'd be griping about what a horrible idea it was to let Weis & Crennel go.

Don Banks is pretty decent. Easterbrook mixes the NFL with pop culture the best. Jaworski is the best when it comes to the details. Details are important.

The worst? Besides Mike Lupica? Lets see.... I would say Ron Borges (Boston). The master of saying nothing.

Oddly enough my least favorites would ahve to be Easterbook and that Simmons guy. Neither one of them seem to have much interest in the actual game (or perhaps know much about it) and instead are more interested in babbling on about their vapid observations regarding bad music and worse television. They are the American Idol of football journalists.

Also a dishonorable mention to Peter King whose columns usually seem to focus on his favorite subject, Peter King.

I like Len Pasquarelli(sp) because he's a decent writer, tells it likes he sees it, seems to have pretty good sources (particularly in Buffalo) and keeps his commentary to football.

My favorite is probably DrZ. Many dislike his often abrasive style but it doesn't elicit much reaction from me aside from the occasional chuckle. He doesn't waste his time or mine writing about personalities, soap-opera storylines or salary nonsense; aside from occasional snippets about wine(which I skip) or old stories(which I love) he sticks to what he's supposed to be sticking to, football. I also like the fact that he often represents the feelings of the real fan (as opposed to the imaginary corporate demographic), giving our knowledge and understanding the credit it deserves while at the same time taking frequent shots at the frequent stupidity of the networks and league offices.

When you consider he's a former player and watches more ball than any other writer (with nobody else even being a close 3rd), it goes without saying that he sees and knows more about whats going on than any other journalist on the planet.

Also an honorable mention to the late, great Ralph Wiley whom I really miss. An old school guy who wasn't just a journalist, but instead was actually a writer. And a good one to boot. We miss ya' Ralph.

Cya

Just curious, between all the talking and print journalists that yap about the NFL who is  your favourite, and which do you hate.

For me Greg Easterbrook at NFL.com(TMQ) is far and away my favorite. His column today on the Superbowl is great!!!. Really dissects how the Eagles were outcoached . These dude sees things the way I do.

232580[/snapback]

dr. z, by far and away. i want to like easterbrook, but often i feel like he's not really watching the game. in this week's column for instance, his take on what the eagles did after dexter reid came in at safety was simply wrong. that happens too often.