• B
    • C
    • D
    • F

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could go through every round of every draft and find a way to say every GM sucks with logic like that. Good work.

We're talking first round, and all rounds are not weighted equally. Also when you trade a first round pick you have to consider opportunity cost. Lastly this was an acknowledged receiver rich draft. If you dont consider opportunity cost then no matter what you give up or who was available, as long as the guy you got is a good player you'd say it worked out. So if bills trade their entire 2015 and 2016 draftw to trade up and take gurley, and he turns onto a 1,000 yard rusher, you wouldn't hold the forgone picks against the GM?

You seriously can't understand? Then you don't belong in this thread.

we ALL belong in this thread. dont be a hater.

This bothers me when you pull this crap.

We all can have our thoughts expressed here. thats the point of the forum. Not being wrong or right.

But again. you are wrong. and thats my opinion : )

we ALL belong in this thread. dont be a hater.

This bothers me when you pull this crap.

We all can have our thoughts expressed here. thats the point of the forum. Not being wrong or right.

But again. you are wrong. and thats my opinion : )

See the conversation was never about wrong or right... It was about one member being angry that I gave Whaley a C. As if I was only allowed to use his grading system... Edited by Beef Jerky

See the conversation was never about wrong or right... It was about one member being angry that I gave Whaley a C. As if I was only allowed to use his grading system...

And i was teasing you. I love you brother. i just have an odd sense of humor.

Go Bills!

wait.. you gave Whaley a C !!!

We're talking first round, and all rounds are not weighted equally. Also when you trade a first round pick you have to consider opportunity cost. Lastly this was an acknowledged receiver rich draft. If you dont consider opportunity cost then no matter what you give up or who was available, as long as the guy you got is a good player you'd say it worked out. So if bills trade their entire 2015 and 2016 draftw to trade up and take gurley, and he turns onto a 1,000 yard rusher, you wouldn't hold the forgone picks against the GM?

While the opportunity cost argument is valid, you are missing two key pieces of information before you know if you are right or not.

1. The impartial comparison of the WR class performance for their first few years. (hindsight)

2. Who would have been available at #19 this year, that would have been the "opportunity cost."

You don't have the first, and the 2nd is hard to determine, because we don't know.

Let's assume it was Ebron since that is something we did hear. Would we rather have Ebron and Dorial Green-Beckham? Or Clay (with a salary) and Sammy Watkins?

I think I'd still take Sammy. If not Green-Beckham, who plus Ebron would you like us to take in 2015? If not Ebron, then who should we have drafted in 2014? Without hindsight.

Edited by What a Tuel

"How can the scale transition from roster overall relent level into actual team performance? That's odd. I could argue the Seahawks lost talent from their Super Bowl winning season but they still got there.... So are they C or are they a-?"

The scale takes winning into account after a certain point because just assembling good talent doesn't translate directly into wins, so team chemistry and other variables play roles too.... And great GMs are not only able to recognize talent, but know what talent fits on the team best as well.... I think we all have seen teams with outstanding talent fall all the way to a losing record because of poor leadership, bad chemistry, etc. On the other hand its is a rare exception that we see "talentless" teams make it to the playoffs. So the scale considers only the talent level of the team until the only indicator of increasing performance is in relation to the other teams around the league not just the teams specific roster makeup.

Remember a GM does a LOT more than just find talent for the team!

The Seahawks would have gotten an A-

Why would measure them based solely on player talent? Talent alone does not translate to wins!

Edited by UticaBill

Whaley has made some good edtitions but made some poor choices in the process.

1. EJ Manuel

2. trading up for Watkins - Watkins should be great, but last years draft was deep in WR so trading up was costly and he really wanted OBJ and then we would have a stud WR and we would have this years 1st rounder.

3. trading a 4rth for Bryce Brown.

4. Trading Kiko for McCoy - McCoy is great but has a lot of miles on him already. We could have signed Demarco Murray and still had Kiko and don't give me that expendable crap, you don't trade young star players. This years draft is DEEP in RB and could have easily filled this position in the draft.

5. trading for Cassel - with an already thin number of draft picks we waste another one on a journeyman QB when there plenty of types like him we could have signed (Shaun Hill, Hoyer)

Over all Doug has done a good job of filling the holes but he could have done it without costing us so much.

Whaley has made some good edtitions but made some poor choices in the process.

1. EJ Manuel

2. trading up for Watkins - Watkins should be great, but last years draft was deep in WR so trading up was costly and he really wanted OBJ and then we would have a stud WR and we would have this years 1st rounder.

3. trading a 4rth for Bryce Brown.

4. Trading Kiko for McCoy - McCoy is great but has a lot of miles on him already. We could have signed Demarco Murray and still had Kiko and don't give me that expendable crap, you don't trade young star players. This years draft is DEEP in RB and could have easily filled this position in the draft.

5. trading for Cassel - with an already thin number of draft picks we waste another one on a journeyman QB when there plenty of types like him we could have signed (Shaun Hill, Hoyer)

Over all Doug has done a good job of filling the holes but he could have done it without costing us so much.

1. Whaley traded to the Rams the #8 (Tavon Austin) and #71st (TJ McDonald) spot in the 2013 draft for #16 (Manuel), #46 (Alonso), #78th (Goodwin), and #222nd (Chris Gragg) in a year where we needed a QB. I think he did just fine. As expensive as he was, I think we should have kept Fitzpatrick here at least another year rather than relying on Kolb.

2. Watkins will be debated until the end of time, we don't need to rehash that.

3. I'll give you trading a 4th for Bryce Brown. I'm not sure what the plan is there.

4. Trading Kiko for McCoy was a fantastic trade. For starters the top 10 RB's in 2014 were ages: 26, 23, 26, 28, 29, 28, 24, 22, 31, 23. The whole age thing is overblown. Secondly, we traded from our strength (the defense) to bolster our weakness (the offense). They offered CJ money, he declined. What would our running game be like had CJ went to the Saints, and we not had McCoy? You say we could have just simply signed Murray? He was top RB last year by far, he commanded money, and had his pick of who he felt was his best fit. To say he could have simply been signed is a bit like saying we could've just signed Manning in 2012, instead of drafting Manuel in 2013 albeit not as extreme. Picking an RB at 50 could be done sure. It also takes away from our other area of need such as O line. Lastly, who is there at 50 that experts are saying will out rush the top RB's in the league as a rookie?

I have a feeling this will turn into a Beckham thing, when people take that rookie that came out of nowhere, and say "look we could've gotten "rookie RB" and still had Kiko!

Playoffs will make all of that go away though.

5. I'm kind of with you on Cassel, although it seems Whaley wanted to be sure to get that Vet QB since we "lost" out on McCown. He didn't want to be left out with no Vet, like last year. Hoyer, although he is a 7 year vet, he has exactly 2 seasons of games under his belt. Cassel has 90 games in 10 seasons.

Edited by What a Tuel

Pretty simple question, how do you think he's performed so far in building a team? He came on to the Bills in 2010, as Assistant General Manager/Director of Pro Personnel.

Lots of debate on the quality of his moves in general, so let's hear what your grade is, and why.

I'm giving him a B so far.

We have, what could arguably be the best defense in the league on paper. We have lots of young talent at key positions on Offense. YET, we have a major hole at QB, and our OL is weak. Quite possibly the most important positions in the NFL.

That being said, finding a top 5 QB is easier said than done... so I can't fault him *too* much on that, considering who has been available to us the last couple years. But I can fault him for a weak OL.

Strong,affordable (you need 7 of them at least vs. 1 QB) OLineman are as difficult to find as QB these days. Teams ain't givin' em up. They've drafted heavy on OL and they are developing them. Should see a better O Line this year (barring injuries which blows everything up)

Just win,baby. Then the slights disappear.

The funniest part is he didn't even pick Luck, Hilton and fleener. Sure, a circus animal could have picked Luck. But the scouting on the rest of that 2012 draft was Telesco's. Grigson's first 2 years of FA signings, drafts and trades in 2013 and 2014 have been a joke. We will see how this year goes. Edited by YoloinOhio

Whaley? Stud. One of the most talented teams in the league.... other than the most critical position. (No, not long snapper.) Can't blame the guy for that, we just didn't suck bad enough to get Luck. Third round Pro Bowl QB's don't grow on trees.