Who Is the True TBD Resident Culinary Expert?

Gugny

Foie is liver gras is fat in French. So foie gras is fat liver. They "force feed" the ducks and geese to fatten up their livers.

So chicken liver pate would be pate de foie des volaille. I always have some on hand. If I see chicken livers at the store I buy them and freeze them. Make about 4 pounds at a time, put them in small mason jars and top with duck fat to seal. it. And my wife makes bread that we spread it on. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I am a big pate fan. I had a nice one the other day where they put some honey and pistachios on the duck fat.

I have never tried to make the stuff though.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As humbled as I am by my name being brought up, I'll go with Chef Jim.

I was a line cook, and I do love food. There's no way I can compete with 25 years of classical cooking experience.

Though I'll probably take him in the "healthy" category.

I am sure you will be seeking advice on what to see and do before you arrive...

There is a possibility of that

I am a big pate fan. I had a nice one the other day where they put some honey and pistachios on the duck fat.

I have never tried to make the stuff though.

If you've made meatloaf you can make pate. LOL.

By the way the thread title is misleading. Being a graduate of the CIA and classically trained and a well read culinary historian probably makes me the leading Culinary expert. But I think the real question is can I cook? :D

I use brandy in mine. And no offence if your wife is named Brandy. I've never met her.

She's not my wife yet. No offense taken. She tastes as good as she looks. But you're just gonna have to take my word on that.

(See Pilsner's avatar)

I am going to give it a try. There are two things that I have thought about making, but then haven't had the guts to try: (i) pate; and (ii) tamales.

Just find a good recipe for the pate. I can PM you several. The issue is having the right loaf pan. Doesn't really affect the flavor more for the presentation size.

Now tamales? I live in CA. I'll leave that to the experts. The chunky Mexican woman who make them at home and sell them on the street

Edited by Chef Jim

Depends on what you're looking for. I cooked professionally for 25 years and worked at some great places. My specialties:

Classic French Bistro fare. Mostly slow braises like blanquette de veau, beef bourguignon, cassoulet, coq au vin.

Northern Italian

Homemade cheeses and cured meats

Anything from scratch (pasta, ravioli, sauces, soups, stews)

Impromptu meals from the garden or farmers market

Asian, and healthy ****? I ain't your guy. I can do them just not my forte.

Actually had it's own wiki page for a short bit. :D

Braised short ribs is one of my favorites. Use a mirepoix. I can't believe the flavor this method produces. I'm not a advanced cook but this comes out great. Here is the recipe I follow to a T. Feel free to give some input if it adds to it.

You must make two versions, the original BF version, then an alter Chef Jim original version.

That would be !@#$ing awesome! Great idea. I'm in! We'll rent a place either in Ellicottville or the Finger Lakes and do it up.

That would be !@#$ing awesome! Great idea. I'm in! We'll rent a place either in Ellicottville or the Finger Lakes and do it up.

Nice for you two, but what about the rest of us?

I am going to give it a try. There are two things that I have thought about making, but then haven't had the guts to try: (i) pate; and (ii) tamales.

Tamales have always intrigued me. I will be making them this year. Need to find a good source for fresh lard.