Article - "Ryan talks a good game, but will wins follow?"

webtoe

Rex seems like the type of coach where it's going to be fun for the first 2-3 years and then the crash is spectacular. Players coaches seem to be that way in general, good initial boost but a bad downfall as they tend to lose the locker room towards the end.

I wish I didn't agree.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I didn't agree.

When has Rex ever lost a locker room in his coaching career? It never happened in New Jersey, it never happened in Baltimore. This is a falsehood being spread by folks who don't like the hire. It's fine not to like the hire, to argue it and debate it, but let's keep it to reality rather than hyperbolic fantasy.

Yep, which is why I don't patronize his **** or Rodak's. Sullivan doesn't know what he's talking about and Rodak is a troll. This is the internet age, neither the Buffalo News nor ESPN has the market share of Bills information that would allow them to keep these clowns relevant.

So do like me and do your part. They're only as relevant as you make them.

Many many many many many other writers/analysts out there have much much much much much much much better insight than either of these tools.

So don't patronize them.

Can you give some recommendations? I'm serious, there's so many hacks I don't know who to read to get original insight.

Can you give some recommendations? I'm serious, there's so many hacks I don't know who to read to get original insight.

Generally anyone who says everything about the Bills is rainbows and unicorns is considered good and has original insight by many here.

But the reality is very few have any original insight, they mainly just rehash stuff they have read elsewhere. Particularly in the offseason where there isn't much to report on, yet they keep writing.

The most reviled writer here is Sully. He often has "original insight" I suppose, but it is 99% negative. Which you might expect writing about a team that hasn't sniffed the playoffs in a decade and a half I suppose.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Sullivan actually brings up a valid point. Jet's fans have first hand experience with this and would tell you the exact same thing.

The Jets FO situation was a mess. They brought in Geno and Vick and completely screwed up the roster that made the playoffs the first two years under Rex. Yes he was the coach of those losing Jets teams, but the talent just wasn't there. The Bills are ten times more talented than last year's Jets team.

When I talked to Jets fans I play basketball with, after the signing happened, they basically all said that he's a good coach, that was screwed over by a bad FO. They predicted he'll do well in Buffalo, and the Bills will instantly be better for hiring him.

This bit gets repeated endlessly here, but Rex took the same 11-5 AFCC game appearing team to 8-8 and 6-10 in the 2 seasons before the evil Idzik showed up.

Generally anyone who says everything about the Bills is rainbows and unicorns is considered good and has original insight by many here.

But the reality is very few have any original insight, they mainly just rehash stuff they have read elsewhere. Particularly in the offseason where there isn't much to report on, yet they keep writing.

The most reviled writer here is Sully. He often has "original insight" I suppose, but it is 99% negative. Which you might expect writing about a team that hasn't sniffed the playoffs in a decade and a half I suppose.

:thumbsup: My point exactly, what do you expect a sports writer to say about this organization since 1999; lousy coaching, horrible drafts, poor scouting, and the bottom line - no playoff appearance since 1999!! I love this team and sat in War Memorial Stadium in 1966, I have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. But until this team hits the post season, I have no issues with any writer, Sully or others critiquing this team. If you want poms poms, just read past posts on this board, hilarious, going back years that "this is the year."

:thumbsup: My point exactly, what do you expect a sports writer to say about this organization since 1999; lousy coaching, horrible drafts, poor scouting, and the bottom line - no playoff appearance since 1999!! I love this team and sat in War Memorial Stadium in 1966, I have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. But until this team hits the post season, I have no issues with any writer, Sully or others critiquing this team. If you want poms poms, just read past posts on this board, hilarious, going back years that "this is the year."

What do I expect? Balanced coverage. That doesn't mean unicorns farting rainbows. But it does mean being unbiased.

Couching everything the Bills do in terms of the 15 year playoff drought is biased. No one from the owner on down has anything to do with that drought so why bring it up? What does Shady McCoy have to do with the playoff drought? Rex Ryan? Clay? Harvin? Felton? They have NOTHING do with it. So why hang that on them?

Sorry haters but Sully is biased, not objective.

What do I expect? Balanced coverage. That doesn't mean unicorns farting rainbows. But it does mean being unbiased.

Couching everything the Bills do in terms of the 15 year playoff drought is biased. No one from the owner on down has anything to do with that drought so why bring it up? What does Shady McCoy have to do with the playoff drought? Rex Ryan? Clay? Harvin? Felton? They have NOTHING do with it. So why hang that on them?

Sorry haters but Sully is biased, not objective.

But he has us talking about him! BTW once upon a time I did hear positive laudatory comments from Sully, think it was back in the 1990's, I could be wrong.

His first two seasons there I believe. And then?

And then the FO completely screwed up the roster and gave him very little talent to work with. Even when handcuffed by the FO his teams always played hard and were competitive in every game, regardless of their W-L record. And I'll take back to back AFC championship games in the first two years btw.

This bit gets repeated endlessly here, but Rex took the same 11-5 AFCC game appearing team to 8-8 and 6-10 in the 2 seasons before the evil Idzik showed up.

Here's my take: the Jets were Rex's first HC job. He didn't really know what he did or didn't need, but he was an aggressive, motivational leader and he got the best out of his guys. I don't think he ever assembled a full staff headed in the same direction, and had the full support of the front office, at any point while he was there. By the end the conflicts and talent gap got to be too much for him to overcome. But he never "lost the locker room."

Now, on his second and "last" chance, it appears everyone in the organization is working together, and Rex has learned a lot from the previous six years. I don't think it's fair to predict he will "crash and burn" in Buffalo.

And then the FO completely screwed up the roster and gave him very little talent to work with. Even when handcuffed by the FO his teams always played hard and were competitive in every game, regardless of their W-L record. And I'll take back to back AFC championship games in the first two years btw.

See the quote above from WEO. But we can only hope he has learned what not to do from his Jets experience.

And yes, I'd even take just a playoff game at this point as progress.

WEO

I am sure that you know that there is so much more to a situation then that

Even though Idzik did show up after 2 losing seasons.....that doesnt mean the situation was good before he got there.....more like making a bad situation worse

Personally I love Rex Ryan the coach.....and there have been coaches in this league that when they get to their SECOND HC job they do things a bit differently (or have a better synergistic relationship with the decision makers over them)

I hacked into Sully's computer and found that he's written all his Bills columns ahead of time:

If they go 4-0 "We've seen this before. They always fall apart. Don't get sucked in"

If they are in contention in December "They've been in contention for the past 15 years. So what? They still don't have a QB."

If they make the playoffs "It will be another 15 years before they do it again."

If they win a Super Bowl "Big Deal. The Pats have won four."

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I hacked into Sully's computer and found that he's written all his Bills columns ahead of time:

If they go 4-0 "We've seen this before. They always fall apart. Don't get sucked in"

If they are in contention in December "They've been in contention for the past 15 years. So what? They still don't have a QB."

If they make the playoffs "It will be another 15 years before they do it again."

Very insightful!

The last 20 years have REALLY scarred you. You are such an insecure Bills fan.

Damn. You should start your own Miss Cleo 900 line. I bet you nailed it.