Whaley not happy Bills haven't done more to address OL

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fine with that opinion; I get stuck at the point where no credit is given for investing 3 picks on the OL last year alone (etc). Obviously I'm not pointing the finger at you specifically.

I also think that there's a fair chance that they prioritize OL during next month's draft.

I don't think reaching for need in the draft is a good idea.

I'm sure he is trying, but I think it's fair to question whether they've made it the top priority as some of us argue that it should've been. They seemed to have put Clay at the top of their FA list and applied the full-court private-jet press to land him. Not saying that flying Air Pegula to Wisconsin on Day 1 of free agency would've landed Bulaga, but perhaps it may have. I'd rather they overpay a lineman than overpay Charles Clay (if we can't overpay both). Maybe it's unfair to link this back to the Levitre decision which was under a mostly different regime, but at some point they need to devote significant time, attention and resources to fixing the line, even if it means paying more than they think they ought to. Some of us would argue that they should do it first, because otherwise their investments in fancy dancers are rendered worthless. They can't seem to draft these guys with any consistency so they need to start buying them.

From all reports, we actually did attempt to overpay for Bulaga. We offered more than the Packers, who ended up making him the 2nd highest paid RT in the league.

I don't think reaching for need in the draft is a good idea.

they may not need to reach. In the mocks I have done, BPA at 50 is a OL. Draft guys are projecting lots of skill players and edge rushers in the 1st and that would push linemen down. Let's hope.

I am wondering why we are at least talking to him. I saw an article that he was on worng side of 30 but i thought he was younger than that. Same thing with guy that was center for Raiders

Blalock is 31.....Wisniewski is only 26 though.

They need to take a hard look at their scouting department, including on the pro personnel side. Whomever is evaluating Chris Williams and CK needs to be put under serious scrutiny.

This has been the main problem with this team for years, and years. It still hasn't changed under Whaley because If it did the 3 O line draft picks last year might have actually worked out.

A RB for 10 mil per when this years draft is supposed to be loaded with RB talent. The team paid 100 million to Mario because they couldn't distinguish the great talent at DE vs the bums ( Maybin).

I know I'm not holding my breath when they draft an O line player in the second or third round again this year.

The team knew they needed a top OG-RT, and when they didn't get their guy... they let it go. Seems to me they had contingency plans in case Clay got away. (Gresham- Fasano) The fact is they made all the right moves to sign a decent TE, and good for them. But that isn't going to help open holes in the middle of the line, and a great FB can't do that either. There needs to be a hole to lead block thru, and not run into the backs of the linemen.

For some unknown reason these men in the FO who are paid millions to do their jobs just don't understand the basic reasoning behind needing top players on the offensive line. The Eagle, Cowboys, 49ers have had top lines, and at times they still don't always create a hole or allow their backs to make a 3rd and short by running. If the top teams with some elite pro bowl players have difficulty achieving these things against NFL defenses. Then how on earth can you expect a some below average players to accomplish it?

The Bills have one of the best D lines in the league, and they can't possibly go all out in practices or the coaches would actually be able to see what they are dealing with. If they did go all out McCoy would never make it past the LoS, and the QB would have great difficulty throwing to Sammy while on his back.

The O line was clearly the weakest area of the team last season, and looks to be again this season. Just remember with the playoffs on the line the Bills rushed for 13 yards on 13 carries against the 2-12 Raiders...how freaking pathetic!! :doh:

*The team did dump the pro personnel scout. They are still very lacking in evaluating elite talent on the offensive side of the ball from the college side, and they still need some serious help.

I'm starting to sense that Whaley may be mad about Rex's power. Sounds like he didn't want harvin and wanted an OLINE problem fixed. I think Rex is really making his presence felt. Please God, I don't want our team to look like the jets.

Oh, for toast sake, people have to manufacture conflict. They wanted Bulaga and tried and didn't get him. They wanted Evans and N'Orleans decided not to trade him. How does this translate into "he didn't want Harvin" and "mad about Rex's power"? The signing of Harvin was delayed - the delay may well have been negotiations about an Evans trade or the like. The point of the article was "we swung and we missed on OL" not "we didn't try because Rex just had to have Harvin at all costs"

(I don't want our team to look like the Jets either. I'm not thrilled with Harvin, but it's mostly based on history and Rex had a ringside seat to know if he's really trouble or not)

This has been the main problem with this team for years, and years. It still hasn't changed under Whaley because If it did the 3 O line draft picks last year might have actually worked out.

A RB for 10 mil per when this years draft is supposed to be loaded with RB talent. The team paid 100 million to Mario because they couldn't distinguish the great talent at DE vs the bums ( Maybin).

I know I'm not holding my breath when they draft an O line player in the second or third round again this year.

The team knew they needed a top OG-RT, and when they didn't get their guy... they let it go. Seems to me they had contingency plans in case Clay got away. (Gresham- Fasano) The fact is they made all the right moves to sign a decent TE, and good for them. But that isn't going to help open holes in the middle of the line, and a great FB can't do that either. There needs to be a hole to lead block thru, and not run into the backs of the linemen.

For some unknown reason these men in the FO who are paid millions to do their jobs just don't understand the basic reasoning behind needing top players on the offensive line. The Eagle, Cowboys, 49ers have had top lines, and at times they still don't always create a hole or allow their backs to make a 3rd and short by running. If the top teams with some elite pro bowl players have difficulty achieving these things against NFL defenses. Then how on earth can you expect a some below average players to accomplish it?

The Bills have one of the best D lines in the league, and they can't possibly go all out in practices or the coaches would actually be able to see what they are dealing with. If they did go all out McCoy would never make it past the LoS, and the QB would have great difficulty throwing to Sammy while on his back.

The O line was clearly the weakest area of the team last season, and looks to be again this season. Just remember with the playoffs on the line the Bills rushed for 13 yards on 13 carries against the 2-12 Raiders...how freaking pathetic!! :doh:

*The team did dump the pro personnel scout. They are still very lacking in evaluating elite talent on the offensive side of the ball from the college side, and they still need some serious help.

The Bills spent only 1 high pick on OL last year. You can't expect much out of a 5th and 7th rounder, although that 7th rounder ended up starting and could be the future at RT, or maybe LT if they let Glenn walk. So it's not like they drafted 3 picks in the first 3 rounds and they all busted.

I'm starting to sense that Whaley may be mad about Rex's power. Sounds like he didn't want harvin and wanted an OLINE problem fixed. I think Rex is really making his presence felt. Please God, I don't want our team to look like the jets.

Harvin wouldn't be the reason we don't have enough, it would be Clay, right? And wasn't Clay Whaley's object of affection? I guess if they do have Clay on the field for every down, that's sort of like having an extra lineman.... looking for the silver lining.

Yes he is and he is not happy that he could not get the players that he tried to acquire.

Tracking like a Q36, I am not a fan of how the comment was made. He still has room, and opportunity to correct the deficiency.

Edited by DirtDart

Dude. Breathe. *In* *Out*.

It's absolutely correct that the O line was one of the weakest areas of the team last season, but 4 of the same 5 guys were servicable under a different scheme and coach, rookies do sometimes improve, and I'll wait until the draft and the preseason FA signings before I declare this season's OL to be pathetic.

It's also a point that our OL acquisitions have been up-and-down. Pears, Urbik, Rinehart picked from the scrap heap and better than what they replaced. Hairston promising until injuries. Legursky pathetic, Green awful, Williams injured. One-for-three able to start of last year's draft class is actually about average for players drafted in or after the 2nd round. The OL talent scouting is a definite question mark in my book.

But those good points you make are hidden with all the run-off-the-cliff hyperbole. McCoy seems to be a special player. Yes, you can draft a running back, and take your chances on him becoming a special player, a guy who can block, catch, and be one of the top RBs in the league. You don't know whether they had more contingency plans at TE or who they may have talked to at OG. A lot of our recent talent acquisition has looked really good, including LB, DB, ST, and WR.

I think you also have to give some credit that the current FO is not the FO that drafted Maybin. Why not stick to a few good points and don't stir up a positive goulash of anguish-past studded with selective memory about recent talent acquisition?

Edited by Hopeful

You might want to read the article the thread is based on. Whaley says that's a real possibility. Also, keep in mind the guys the Bills wanted but couldn't get to in free agency were likely coming in so Glenn could move inside.

I did read the article. As Rex said, you've got to make sure you have your tackles first. Glenn is the teams best tackle. Moving him to guard makes no sense unless Henderson and Kouandjio take major steps forward, which is a big if at this point.

I think you also have to give some credit that the current FO is not the FO that drafted Maybin. Why not stick to a few good points and don't stir up a positive goulash of anguish-past studded with selective memory about recent talent acquisition?

Buddy was here in '09. Whaley is Buddy's hand-picked successor. Now, I'm of the opinion that Buddy was an alright GM, but he was here, and Whaley was groomed by him to replace him. It ain't the exact same FO, but it's not a completely different one with no ties to the previous regimes either.

Buddy was here in '09. Whaley is Buddy's hand-picked successor. Now, I'm of the opinion that Buddy was an alright GM, but he was here, and Whaley was groomed by him to replace him. It ain't the exact same FO, but it's not a completely different one with no ties to the previous regimes either.

Buddy was not GM in '09. He was new to the organization as a scout that year. If you want to tie Whaley to Buddy then going back to '10 is more appropriate.

The Bills spent only 1 high pick on OL last year. You can't expect much out of a 5th and 7th rounder, although that 7th rounder ended up starting and could be the future at RT, or maybe LT if they let Glenn walk. So it's not like they drafted 3 picks in the first 3 rounds and they all busted.

They basically all were busts. Just because one of them started doesn't mean he was any good at what he did on the field. The man graded like a 7th rounder in that he finished the season as bad as Erik Pears did at OG, and that was one of the worst players at his position in the entire league (54th of 56th). There was a real reason the Bills graded as the 30th line in the league, and they were worst with Richardson in the lineup.

Even Doug Whaley admits that the Bills went after that GB RT in Bryan Bulaga, and a top OG so he knew they needed upgrades for the line. You don't make the top FA OT an offer if you don't need him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/164148/andrew-brandt-bills-offered-bryan-bulaga-more-than-packers

"The second was an attempt to trade for (OG) Jhari Evans of the New Orleans Saints, but they instead chose to move Ben Grubbs to the Kansas City Chiefs."

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/03/24/whaley-offensive-line-a-loss-in-otherwise-winning-offseason-for-bills/

Apparently the GM doesn't have that much faith that those rookies can be coached up to an acceptable level if he wanted to replace them. Now without the monies to make any further moves the team is stuck with what they have on the roster, or to make moves in the draft. Considering the results of last seasons draft I have little faith the team will find the talent required for the line. This GM and scouting dept knows defensive talent, and are very poor with the offensive side.

We should restructure everybody and sign Jake.

Forget Jake he's to injury prone, Joe Barksdale ranked #11 overall at RT last yr and is young 26 plus the man is a mauling monster in the run gm. He's out there said to be looking for a deal that pays 4-5 mil per yr.

LT Glenn

LG Incognito

C Wood

RG Urbik

RT Barksdale

With this signing Hendy automatically becomes Swing tackle or if he develops enough this off season he moves to LT and kicks Cordy into LG spot. We can also draft a guard like AJ Cann or Laken Tomlinson adding even more depth to this line. Remember Incognito has 1yr deal and we don't know how good he's gonna be after sitting out a yr. We need to add a young Veteran like Barksdale and draft a guy.