Can the Bills win 11+ games without a great OL?

Big Hurt

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incognito upgrades the LG spot as well as helping Glenn and Wood. Urbik is best suited at RG (he played, poorly, at LG last year) and will upgrade that spot. The question is whether Henderson or Kujo (or someone else) plays well at RT, and I think the Bills are concerned seeing as how they tried to sign Bulaga. But I think that Henderson will do well.

Edited by Doc

They don't need the OL to be great. They need it to be better than average. Last year's incarnation was well below average. How much of that was due to poor coaching and scheming vs poor talent is still to be determined. Considering how aggressively they went after BB and RI, I would think the front office realizes there's work to do there and I wouldn't bet against them bringing in more help.

That said, I don't expect the Bills to draft more than one or two OL in April. They sunk three picks last draft into the OL and unless they know for certain Cyrus and Richardson are busts (which, considering their age would be somewhat surprising) I don't see them doing it again this year.

Veteran help will be added, I'm quite certain. But with the way this team has been overhauled in the past month, I don't think the OL is as big of a concern as it was headed into the off season. Time will tell.

Incognito upgrades the LG spot as well as helping Glenn and Wood. Urbik is best suited at RG (he played, poorly, at LG last year) and will upgrade that spot. The question is whether Henderson or Kujo (or someone else) plays well at RT, and I think the Bills are concerned seeing as how they tried to sign Bulaga. But I think that Henderson will do well.

Optimistically, this is how I view it as well. I do believe we need to draft another G and RT for competition, even if they are in the 7th round. it is too soon to call kujo a bust, but man did he look horrible. And henderson struggled later in the season.... seems like a bad idea to go into camp without real competition added for RT.

And I still think the Incognito signing was a good move, but hardly a fix. He looked like he regressed a bit before he was suspended and when he takes the field it would be almost 2 years he played football. I wouldn't pencil him in as a fix.

I'm gonna hafta disagree. RB can't run through holes that aren't there.

I used to think so too. I scoffed whenever Madden would say that line, then I played with a truly great RB. A guy who would have had a chance to play on Sundays had he not blown out his knee. It was amazing how our entire line got better with just a change at running back. Not just a little better, significantly so.

Of course the NFL isn't college, so who knows. But it wouldn't shock me to see the line make a massive jump just with Shady and the new scheme.

The o-line significantly regressed under Marrone. It was stated in numerous articles that Marrone meddled with the O-line all the time, so they had him telling the guys to play one way, the O-line coach tell them something else, then had Hackett tell him something completely different, so it's no wonder why those guys did so bad, not to mention how many pairings Marrone went through during the season. Aaron Kromer was brought in to help fix the O-line. Kromer did an outstanding job in New Orleans when the Saints won the Super Bowl, so I'm willing to cut the current guys on the roster some slack.

They need a "good" O-line they don't need a "great" O-line. I am still a tad worried though. What if Incognito does not pick things up from day 1 having not played in two years? Then we are basically left with last year's situation at guard (only without Eric Pears). Whilst I think Chris Williams would have proved a few people wrong had he played all season (he'd have been at least serviceable) the back injury is a long term worry. Urbik was terrible last year but maybe a move back to right guard will help? Henderson wasn't as bad as his PFF grade but he was up and down and overall below average at right tackle.... and that it before we get to the horrible year Eric Wood had.

At the moment the only position on the line I think we are set in is LT. Glenn is a stud and even in a down year played pretty solidly. There was clearly a health issue there that ran through camp but if they can get him back at 100% I think he is a cornerstone for the Franchise.

Kromer provides an immediate improvement to the OL from coaching and likely could have this group performing very well without anyone else brought in

I truly think this is the key to the equation. Roman and Kromer.

still want an FA guard though and swing tackle at least. Bring Hairston back if he isnt useless.

Coaching Coaching and more coaching will undo what Marrone and Morris and the kid messed up

Great? They just need to be better then last year.

sounds easy doesn't it ? :thumbsup:

We won 9(some say 8) with putrid OL play last season. We essentially have the same great D and ST and have added a legit RB, TE and FB. Also added another top WR....and Watkins won't be a rookie, making our 1-4 WRs all excellent. Even ignoring the possible effects of changing coaching one would have to surmise that even with a putrid OL we should win a game or two more than last year. With a decent OL we could win 11+ games, let alone a great OL.