Thoughts whilst enjoying a homemade burger

Beerball

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta get it good and crusty. I cook the second side lid off so the cheese doesn't melt away.

I go back and forth between charcoal grill and cast iron skillet as favorite way to make a burger. Cast iron the entire burger gets seared, and i can cook onions right smashed in with the burger, ala an Oklahoma burger when i fancy one of those.

Have you guys tried a stuffed burger? (you put the cheddar, or american or swiss cheese into the middle of the burger and form the pattie around the cheese). Not a bad trick but you have to watch for not cooking the burger too well done because there is less meat to cook through.

Have never heard this...explain?

I tried to look up some info on it quickly, but there's not a lot out there. A few years ago I got a pamphlet from a local farm selling beef about the advantages of slow cooking. It helps a lot when cooking meat that isn't finished on grain. I gave it a try with regular beef and it's amazing. I make big patties and cook medium/low until finished. Juiciest, best tasting burgers I've ever made (and that was on a gas grill...it's even better on charcoal). It obviously takes a lot longer, especially when you have to wait for the coals to cool down, but it's really worth it.

Since then I've experimented with a few different styles. Honestly, I think searing and flash heating to "seal in the juices" is all bunk. I do like a blackened crispy burger sometimes so I will occasionally cook that way, but if I want a tender, juicy burger (as I almost always do), it's slow.

Note, I haven't cooked on cast iron in a long time. I don't think going slow would work in that regard.

You are correct. It has been proven to be a myth that searing food seals the juices in more than not searing.

You want to have a juicy burger...mix your ground beef with a half cup (or more) of water or beer before forming the burgers...very juicy.

You are correct. It has been proven to be a myth that searing food seals the juices in more than not searing.

What isn't a myth is the maillard reaction and achieving a visually appealing, texturally appealing, and most importantly, delicious crust on your burgers or steaks.

True dat....and for most of the meat i cook now i do reverse searing...low and slow then sear at the end. Tends to cook the piece of meat evenly with no grey ring around the outer most ...but did not think about doing it that way for a burger

True dat....and for most of the meat i cook now i do reverse searing...low and slow then sear at the end. Tends to cook the piece of meat evenly with no grey ring around the outer most ...but did not think about doing it that way for a burger

You would love Sous-vide, then sear the meat at a super high temp at the end.

I'm somewhat of a minimalist when is comes to burger preference. I usually use 90-10 fat content beef. I mix with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a few dashes of worcestershire. After forming the patties I usually am pretty liberal with the coarse salt and pepper (textural thing). Usually cook my burgers to somewhere between mid-rare and medium so that they are still juicy. I enjoy mayo, melted american cheese and raw onion (thinly sliced). I am really hungry right now.

I disagree. Get your coals as hot as possible and grill fast and hot with the lid closed.

Never with the lid closed, IMO. If you use 80-85% and the coals are hot, 4 min./side should yield great results.

Who around here has tried smash burger?

I work within walking distance from Smashburger. I tried it once. Good, but WAY overpriced. I'll take Five Guys over Smashburger 100% of the time.

Deal ....on my wife's pickles. You and Gugny can look for others in your matching Kiko Alonzo jerseys.

Beerball will be wearing his custom DUCK DOG jersey. Me? SANBORN.

A couple of tips from a burger fan:

1) Form your patties loosely. Don't pack them tight.

2) To help with this, if you put salt, pepper, etc. into the meat before you make the patties, use a fork to mix the meat and ingredients by holding it face down and pulling the meat toward you with the tines

3) When your patty is formed, use your thumb to push a small indentation into the middle of the patty to keep the burger from bubbling up in the middle while cooking

4) Spread mayo on the bottom bun before you put your burger on it. I have no idea why, but the heat of the burger helps the mayo seal the bottom bun and keep it from getting soggy

5) The best burger we've made came from buying a brisket and having the butcher grind it twice. Otherwise, 80/20.

Never with the lid closed, IMO. If you use 80-85% and the coals are hot, 4 min./side should yield great results.

I work within walking distance from Smashburger. I tried it once. Good, but WAY overpriced. I'll take Five Guys over Smashburger 100% of the time.

Beerball will be wearing his custom DUCK DOG jersey. Me? SANBORN.

I'm cooking them like 60 seconds a side over a grill hot enough to finish them in that time. Lid down to avoid total flare up/grease fire.

Do you have any reason for leaving your grill open and letting heat escape when you cook?