How does a D cover this offense?

scribo

If he could make the passes as a backup, why not as a starter? Same pass patterns , right? Same guy throwing the ball? He's probably both an average starter and average backup.

Yea we always use the same criteria to judge starters and backups.... If we expand the field out to all 64 though, he's probably just about in the mix of average.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea we always use the same criteria to judge starters and backups.... If we expand the field out to all 64 though, he's probably just about in the mix of average.i gue

what makes a good backup ? I understand the thought process, but basically, if he's not a good starter, chances are he's not a very good backup. If the expectations are incredibly low for backups, and it may be these days, then that might make him a good backup.

If he could make the passes as a backup, why not as a starter? Same pass patterns , right? Same guy throwing the ball? He's probably both an average starter and average backup.

I just think that Cassel's ship has sailed in terms of being the guy you are counting on to be your season long starting QB. He's 32 and the last time he was counting on to be "the guy" and was successful in that roll was five seasons ago.

I think that he's probably moved on mentally from having that burning desire to be the starting QB. Once you've lost that, you're kind of done as a true starting QB if that is the case. That doesn't mean that he can't be good in a back up role and win a couple of games for your team if pressed into action. I think he fits that roll very nicely.

IMO, Matt Cassel as the Bills 2015 starting QB for the full season is like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. The only way I see Cassel starting over Manuel is if Manuel fails to show leadership which is possible. Bills players will be expecting EJ to bring the swagger and confidence this year. You can hear it all of their interviews. If he doesn't then the Bills will be forced to start either Cassel or Taylor.

I just think that Cassel's ship has sailed in terms of being the guy you are counting on to be your season long starting QB. He's 32 and the last time he was counting on to be "the guy" and was successful in that roll was five seasons ago.

I think that he's probably moved on mentally from having that burning desire to be the starting QB. Once you've lost that, you're kind of done as a true starting QB if that is the case. That doesn't mean that he can't be good in a back up role and win a couple of games for your team if pressed into action. I think he fits that roll very nicely.

IMO, Matt Cassel as the Bills 2015 starting QB for the full season is like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. The only way I see Cassel starting over Manuel is if Manuel fails to show leadership which is possible. Bills players will be expecting EJ to bring the swagger and confidence this year. You can hear it all of their interviews. If he doesn't then the Bills will be forced to start either Cassel or Taylor.

Don't know why you think he's moved on from wanting to be a starter, everything he's said is that he wants to start, he was starting last year before his injury, and he's only 32, perfect age for a QB.

what makes a good backup ? I understand the thought process, but basically, if he's not a good starter, chances are he's not a very good backup. If the expectations are incredibly low for backups, and it may be these days, then that might make him a good backup.

It comes down to expectations clearly being different and to a strong degree lower. And you know that. The 35th best qb is a nightmare to go into the season relying on, but if you have to go 2-2 in a month to keep the season alive facing injury - there's a big gap between 35 and 70

Like everyone else says, this offense is weakest at QB... Stack the box and force the QB to beat you. Blitz all day, stop the run, ignore the WRs until the QB can prove he can handle it.

You're not serious are you? You don't think Bills could run a quick slant to Sammy or screen passes if teams blitz all day? Ignore the WRs? Some of these comments are getting ridiculous. Unless you're being sarcastic, then I apologize. I need a break until the draft.

Yup, they'll have 8 in the box.

Let's hope they try this approach...it will be short lived!

Way too many ways to get the ball to play-makers in space and/or misdirection plays with a eight in the box.

Roman & staff > Mudd & Jeff (pop warner's approach)

Yup. Make the Bills QB beat them.

Such simplistic and tired logic. The current staff went and got players such as Harvin, Clay, McCoy , who ( along with Watkins) will make it difficult to " stack the box" . They are running an offense based on formations and mismatches. Great skill position players can make an average QB better. They know they can't just say " we will beat you with our QB" so they loaded up elsewhere. I think they realized teams would not be worried about covering Chandler out of the backfield.

Such simplistic and tired logic. The current staff went and got players such as Harvin, Clay, McCoy , who ( along with Watkins) will make it difficult to " stack the box" . They are running an offense based on formations and mismatches. Great skill position players can make an average QB better. They know they can't just say " we will beat you with our QB" so they loaded up elsewhere. I think they realized teams would not be worried about covering Chandler out of the backfield.

they didn't bother covering Chandler or Hogan which is why they would (sometimes) have a lot of catches (with no YAC) but Sammy would be blanketed. Can't do that anymore. Chandlers and Hogans are backup material. They aren't terrible but they don't scare anyone either. Edited by YoloinOhio

they didn't bother covering Chandler or Hogan which is why they would (sometimes) have a lot of catches (with no YAC) but Sammy would be blanketed. Can't do that anymore. Chandlers and Hogans are backup material. They aren't terrible but they don't scare anyone either.

Agreed. Hogan is a role player that can make a contribution on STs and limited appearances on Offense. He's not a guy you want on the field for the majority of snaps at a WR spot.

The weaknesses of this team, as it stands right now - are OL and QB.

So the defense will attack the weaknesses. They'll come after it with both run and pass blitzes. They'll aim to overwhelm the offensive line.

At least, that will be one tactic attempted.

From a personnel to personnel standpoint, the Jets aren't far off matching up with this offensive unit. Revis, Cromartie, Buster Skrine, Dee Milliner along with Demario Davis, Calvin Pryor and Marcus Gilchrist - yeah, they aren't too worried.

The weaknesses of this team, as it stands right now - are OL and QB.

So the defense will attack the weaknesses. They'll come after it with both run and pass blitzes. They'll aim to overwhelm the offensive line.

At least, that will be one tactic attempted.

Remember when teams figured out that Fitz was not ever going to throw deep?

Sure they are going to have to prove it. but get Goodwin on a fly just once and all bets are off.

Gotta make them believe we can get on top of them.

after last year i think you are right. The O line as the weak point.

So the defense runs some stunts and see if Kromar had coached these 5 up better than Pat Morris and Marroon did.

From a personnel to personnel standpoint, the Jets aren't far off matching up with this offensive unit. Revis, Cromartie, Buster Skrine, Dee Milliner along with Demario Davis, Calvin Pryor and Marcus Gilchrist - yeah, they aren't too worried.

How are Revis and Cromartie against us running between the hashes i wonder?

Remember when teams figured out that Fitz was not ever going to throw deep?

Sure they are going to have to prove it. but get Goodwin on a fly just once and all bets are off.

Gotta make them believe we can get on top of them.

after last year i think you are right. The O line as the weak point.

So the defense runs some stunts and see if Kromar had coached these 5 up better than Pat Morris and Marroon did.

How are Revis and Cromartie against us running between the hashes i wonder?

Simple, their secondary allows them to stack the box... Come on cupcake.

Simple, their secondary allows them to stack the box... Come on cupcake.

and then we motion and move em around.

Depends on who they have on the field , eight in a heavy nickel ? we should still pound it behind Felton.

I truly think this team is designed to deceive , much as Rex's defenses.

but they should own that line and get 3-4 even when " stacked"

and then we motion and move em around.

Depends on who they have on the field , eight in a heavy nickel ? we should still pound it behind Felton.

I truly think this team is designed to deceive , much as Rex's defenses.

but they should own that line and get 3-4 even when " stacked"

I didn't say that they would shut this offense down at all. Just that the Jets can match up well personnel wise with the players we have.

I didn't say that they would shut this offense down at all. Just that the Jets can match up well personnel wise with the players we have.

Jets made a great move getting the Band back together with Revis and Cromartie. and they are nothing to be scoffed at !

Nor is their formidable D line.

Not trying to be argumentative : )

BUt if anyone know how to beat the Jets personnel it probably Rex Ryan.

Should some great games in the division this year !

Jets made a great move getting the Band back together with Revis and Cromartie. and they are nothing to be scoffed at !

Nor is their formidable D line.

Not trying to be argumentative : )

BUt if anyone know how to beat the Jets personnel it probably Rex Ryan.

Should some great games in the division this year !

Which is exactly why I said "personnel to personnel standpoint" my friend.

I think we get the better of them in both games, however I doubt it will be as dominant as it could be against other defensive units.

Which is exactly why I said "personnel to personnel standpoint" my friend.

I think we get the better of them in both games, however I doubt it will be as dominant as it could be against other defensive units.

fair enough. i will work on my reading comprehension :thumbsup: