Lancaster

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/schools/lancaster-students-returning-to-school-after-walkout-over-mascot-20150319

oh dear, the middle schoolers, too?

Several hundred Lancaster students bolted from the high school and middle school Thursday morning and marched through the community to protest the district’s dropping of the Redskins nickname and mascot.

They left shortly after classes began about 7:30 a.m., and marched to the school administration building, the middle school and back to the administration building before returning to the high school. The protesters chanted “Let’s Go, Redskins” when they stopped at the various buildings.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn I thought this thread was about the iconic Lancaster Bomber from WW2. Alas, it's just this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Lancaster

Great plane. Only shame of it is that it overshadows the Halifax, which was also a great plane. Not quite the same bomb load - the fuselage configuration wouldn't really allow it - but I always liked the quirkiness of the wing bomb bays.

Great plane. Only shame of it is that it overshadows the Halifax, which was also a great plane. Not quite the same bomb load - the fuselage configuration wouldn't really allow it - but I always liked the quirkiness of the wing bomb bays.

kinda like the Spitfire overshadowed the Hawker Hurricane. Workhorse plane in the Battle Of Britain but gets absolutely no credit.

Just followed up and read wiki on it. Damn I going to get warned for hijacking a thread.

"The Hawker Hurricane is a British single-seat fighter aircraft that was designed and predominantly built by Hawker AircraftLtd for the Royal Air Force (RAF). Although largely overshadowed by the Supermarine Spitfire, the aircraft became renowned during the Battle of Britain, accounting for 60% of the RAF's air victories in the battle"

Edited by Dante

I thought it was about the Lancaster City F.C.

160px-Lancaster_City_FC.png Let's go Dolly Blues !

I think this team is sexist! We're still calling the strong modern women of the new millennium Dollies? They must be forced to change their handle. I'm really offended unless by "dolly" they mean the thing you move your couch with.

Edited by Dante

I think this team is sexist! We're still calling the strong modern women of the new millennium Dollies? They must be forced to change their handle. I'm really offended unless by "dolly" they mean the thing you move your couch with.

dolly blue or washing blue is a household product used to improve the appearance of textiles, especially white fabrics. Used during laundering, it adds a trace of blue dye (often synthetic ultramarine, sometimes Prussian blue) to the fabric.

dolly blue or washing blue is a household product used to improve the appearance of textiles, especially white fabrics. Used during laundering, it adds a trace of blue dye (often synthetic ultramarine, sometimes Prussian blue) to the fabric.

Somebody named their team after a cleaning product? Or is this the official team sponsor? No matter I'm just relieved it's not harmful to women. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dante

kinda like the Spitfire overshadowed the Hawker Hurricane. Workhorse plane in the Battle Of Britain but gets absolutely no credit.

Just followed up and read wiki on it. Damn I going to get warned for hijacking a thread.

"The Hawker Hurricane is a British single-seat fighter aircraft that was designed and predominantly built by Hawker AircraftLtd for the Royal Air Force (RAF). Although largely overshadowed by the Supermarine Spitfire, the aircraft became renowned during the Battle of Britain, accounting for 60% of the RAF's air victories in the battle"

Overshadowing all the above was the A-24 Banshee. Not because of any particular role or capability it had, but because it was also called the SBD.

Overshadowing all the above was the A-24 Banshee. Not because of any particular role or capability it had, but because it was also called the SBD.

Actually, the SBD was also called the A-24.

SBD was a Navy plane. A-24 was the Army designation, after they decided "Hey, we need dive bombers [spoiler alert: they didn't]" and bought some of the Navy's.

Not quite the same. The Hurricane was a derivative of the Hawker Fury - a good derivative, but still as such not an original design. The Halifax, on the other hand, was a a straight-up green field design - designed to the same specification as the Lancaster, in fact. The Halifax even started as a two-engine bomber, like the Lanc, but Handley-Page had the foresight to see that the Rolls Royce Vulture engine was a piece of ****, and switched to four Merlins (and then Hercules radials) much earlier than Avro.

Actually, the SBD was also called the A-24.

SBD was a Navy plane. A-24 was the Army designation, after they decided "Hey, we need dive bombers [spoiler alert: they didn't]" and bought some of the Navy's.

The SBD sank more Japanese ships than any other plane. I took a pic of one when I was 9 at the Smithsonian but its no long on display there.

Damn I thought this thread was about the iconic Lancaster Bomber from WW2. Alas, it's just this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Lancaster

I saw one at the Geneseo air show in the nineties and it was gigantic!

In Hamilton , Ont they have a WW2 museum at Mt. Hope airport and they used to take the Lancaster up and they flew over from time to time. What stuck with me the most was the bass like noise that went right through you. I could only imagine what it was like when you had a few hundred of those things flying over dropping bombs. Had to out of this world fear.

http://www.warplane.com/