Debbie Downer and/or reality check?

I hear Mookie Blaylock and Avon Barksdale are still available. Would either of these guys be an improvement or are they just coming from another team?

yes.

This summarizes the way I feel. Seems like we ignore our OL needs year after year.

The drafted 3 last year and signed and FA to address the line.

It did not pan out so well.

But they did not ignore it last year like they have some years under Nix's watch.

My concern is they think that more highly of last years draft picks then we fans do.

One more guard in FA please and i will stop whining. I prefer Evans or Blalock at this point.

I will remain hopeful for Clay

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what FA guards are you hoping that they sign?

Short answer is someone that doesn't suck. The individual person we get is better settled by our GM and FO. What I know is if we are to build a bully, this present OL ain't it -- yet. I do have faith in DW but all I said in my post is I'd like to see it sooner than later as I'm admittedly impatient. I have seen so many years of not getting the OL right that I anxious to see it. We've had lots of activity in the past to address the O-line but not the results. I am somewhat comforted by the notion we may actually have offensive coaches that know what they are doing.

This summarizes the way I feel. Seems like we ignore our OL needs year after year.

Drafted Glenn, Henderson, Richardson, Kouandijo in last few years, signed Wood to extension, Williams and Incognito as FA's last 2 year's...numerous waiver wire pickups like Urbik...

Maybe it didn't turn out as well as they hoped, although I still blame the coaching since I find it hard to believe a decent enough line could have regressed so badly on its own that it couldn't pick up simple stunts last year...I think we will see how important a top flight OLine coach like Aaron Kromer is in making them much better...

However to say this area is ignored year after year is just false and simply silly

Drafted Glenn, Henderson, Richardson, Kouandijo in last few years, signed Wood to extension, Williams and Incognito as FA's last 2 year's...numerous waiver wire pickups like Urbik...

Maybe it didn't turn out as well as they hoped, although I still blame the coaching since I find it hard to believe a decent enough line could have regressed so badly on its own that it couldn't pick up simple stunts last year...I think we will see how important a top flight OLine coach like Aaron Kromer is in making them much better...

However to say this area is ignored year after year is just false and simply silly

This.

And yet, the zombie complaint refuses to die. Much like the "we never sign our good young talent, but let them walk" trope shambles on from thread to thread no matter how many times it is refuted by experience.

Edited by RJ (not THAT RJ)

Exactly who is this player?

And are you honestly arguing that on paper Bills' aren't better off now than they were on January1?

Kiko Alonzo. Yes, I'm honestly saying they're not better on paper than they were a year ago. Where is the improvement? Incognito? An unknown. McCoy? Looks like an upgrade, but at the cost of losing Alonzo and Spiller, I would say it's a wash at best. Meanwhile, they lost Chandler and Searcy, so they added more holes. Ease up on that Koolaid, GG.

It's inconceivable that anyone could looks at this team, as it stands today with FAs still to be signed and the draft on the horizon, and not think there have been big improvements.

We've replaced several players with lots of "potential" to be great with players that have actually proven to be great. We replaced a lower tier college coaching staff with actual NFL level coaches. And there are still moves to be made.

Yes, some of the moves are risky (i.e. Harvin). But I prefer to take that risk and have Harvin on the field and not rely on Hogan continuing to develop. And, yes, we still have to see how or even if it all comes together on the field in September. But, there's no doubt the Bills FO is serious about making moves to improve this team, and there seems to be no one that's hindering them moneywise.

Finally, yes, I'd love to see several good linemen brought in like most everyone. But, I think we also have to consider that with the completely inept offensive coaching we've had the last couple years, its entirely possible we have decent young linemen on the team right now (if they're put in the right position and coached properly).

So, yeah, anyone looking at the Bills' off season to date and thinking its not going well is definitely not seeing the picture with open eyes. Step back for a day, go out get some sunshine, then get geared up for the rest of the ride. Because it's actually looking really good to be a Bills fan for the first time in nearly 20 years.

It's inconceivable that anyone could looks at this team, as it stands today with FAs still to be signed and the draft on the horizon, and not think there have been big improvements.

We've replaced several players with lots of "potential" to be great with players that have actually proven to be great. We replaced a lower tier college coaching staff with actual NFL level coaches. And there are still moves to be made.

Yes, some of the moves are risky (i.e. Harvin). But I prefer to take that risk and have Harvin on the field and not rely on Hogan continuing to develop. And, yes, we still have to see how or even if it all comes together on the field in September. But, there's no doubt the Bills FO is serious about making moves to improve this team, and there seems to be no one that's hindering them moneywise.

Finally, yes, I'd love to see several good linemen brought in like most everyone. But, I think we also have to consider that with the completely inept offensive coaching we've had the last couple years, its entirely possible we have decent young linemen on the team right now (if they're put in the right position and coached properly).

So, yeah, anyone looking at the Bills' off season to date and thinking its not going well is definitely not seeing the picture with open eyes. Step back for a day, go out get some sunshine, then get geared up for the rest of the ride. Because it's actually looking really good to be a Bills fan for the first time in nearly 20 years.

Good stuff. :beer:

This offseason has been spectacular imo but people still complain

Last season people were PINING like pathetic puppy dogs for the bills to sign incognito during the season. Now we have him and its no longer an upgrade.

We still have young players on this o-line that we drafted last season, maybe the FO still wants to give them another yr.

Maybe we plan on drafting a G in the second round?

Geeze people.

And all of a sudden the loss of Chandler creates panic. Lmao. How many threads were dedicated to Chandler's averageness - the world may never know.

Kiko Alonzo. Yes, I'm honestly saying they're not better on paper than they were a year ago. Where is the improvement? Incognito? An unknown. McCoy? Looks like an upgrade, but at the cost of losing Alonzo and Spiller, I would say it's a wash at best. Meanwhile, they lost Chandler and Searcy, so they added more holes. Ease up on that Koolaid, GG.

Really? Cause Alonso didn't play last year and the D was better than when he did play the year before...

Edited by matter2003

Yup, I'm the koolaid drinker in this discussion.

Let's see, we have a coach who took a mediocre squad to a play away from a Super Bowl appearance, an OC who was in the super bowl 2 years ago and NFC championship last year - replacing a Pinstripe Bowl legend. A top three RB replacing a guy who couldn't gain five yards unless the Red Sea was parted for him. A true blocking FB in a decade. The mascot slot receiver is replaced by a legit NFL talent. A real NFL guard. And more moves to be made.

Yet in your world, this is a worse team on paper than the one that just finished?

Insane is one word.

Let's see, we have a coach who took a mediocre squad to a play away from a Super Bowl appearance, an OC who was in the super bowl 2 years ago and NFC championship last year - replacing a Pinstripe Bowl legend. A top three RB replacing a guy who couldn't gain five yards unless the Red Sea was parted for him. A true blocking FB in a decade. The mascot slot receiver is replaced by a legit NFL talent. A real NFL guard. And more moves to be made.

Yet in your world, this is a worse team on paper than the one that just finished?

Insane is one word.

:lol::worthy:

Insane is one word.

wow :worthy:

It's okay, he also compared Shady and Spiller in the same breath with a straight face. :beer:

It's hard to know how to respond to people who misrepresent one's posts. I mean, is it deliberate? A simple mistake? Or maybe a cognitive disability? Tell you, what, Greggy, I send you my contempt, sympathy or best regards, I'll let you decide which is most appropriate. But I do urge you to read more carefully before you sneer. Doesn't make you look very good.

It's hard to know how to respond to people who misrepresent one's posts. I mean, is it deliberate? A simple mistake? Or maybe a cognitive disability? Tell you, what, Greggy, I send you my contempt, sympathy or best regards, I'll let you decide which is most appropriate. But I do urge you to read more carefully before you sneer. Doesn't make you look very good.

In this thread, I'm not the one who needs to worry about how I appear to others. :beer:

The Felton hire is almost like getting another star OL along with Incognito.

Then we have the draft - in which we will not need to take a QB, WR, or RB.

If still there:

#50 overall - Ali Marpet - Hobart

#81 overall - Laurence Gibson - VT

Both blew up the combine and would push to start on this line.

Find a TE with the remaining picks.

This offseason has been spectacular imo but people still complain

Last season people were PINING like pathetic puppy dogs for the bills to sign incognito during the season. Now we have him and its no longer an upgrade.

We still have young players on this o-line that we drafted last season, maybe the FO still wants to give them another yr.

Maybe we plan on drafting a G in the second round?

Geeze people.

And all of a sudden the loss of Chandler creates panic. Lmao. How many threads were dedicated to Chandler's averageness - the world may never know.

Some people don't know how to react to a Bills team that is legitimately competitive.

Whaley likes to trade. Just saying that their is a strong possibility that if we bring in another guard it might not be a free agent. They could have their eye on someone in the draft. Marpet change to guard?

Edited by SJDK