Israeli Elections

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why it's time for Obama to cut off America's subsidies to Israel

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's come-from-behind re-election victory this week, fueled by an overt embrace of apartheid policy and racist fear-mongering about Arab voters, has put the United States in a difficult situation. So long as Netanyahu pretended that he was committed to democratic values and a two-state solution, the Americans could look the other way or blame Palestinian intransigence for a lack of progress.

Now that the Iraq and Afghanistan wars are winding down, Israel has reclaimed its spot as top recipient of American aid dollars. In the 2015 budget, the Obama administration has requested (and will almost certainly receive) $3.1 billion in aid to Israel, or $378.33 per Israeli citizen. As Matt Yglesias shows, on a per-capita basis, this is six times what Afghanistan gets as the second-largest recipient, and 94 times what Nigeria gets as the fifth-largest.

It's a mark of Israel's massive influence in American politics that it keeps getting that money despite the fact that foreign aid is consistently the least popular kind of government spending and doubly so because Israel is a rich country that plainly needs no aid.

If Israel doesn't want to end up as a crumbling pariah police state, like South Africa under John Vorster, then the way forward is clear: negotiate a fair and lasting peace with the Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank. Until that happens, America should treat Israel as it really is, not the ally committed to humane, democratic values that it pretends to be.

http://theweek.com/articles/545294/why-time-obama-cut-americas-subsidies-israel

I was quoting this story here. "the Obama administration has requested (and will almost certainly receive) $3.1 billion in aid to Israel"

You forget that Obama can make up the law as he goes along.

Plus, he has a pen. And a phone.

And this paddle ball game. And this chair.

And that's all he needs. He doesn't need anything else. Just the pen, the phone, the paddle ball game, the chair, and that's it.

Wait. He needs this ashtray.

But that's it.

The pen, the phone, the paddle ball game, the chair and this ashtray and that's it.

Plus, he has a pen. And a phone.

And this paddle ball game. And this chair.

And that's all he needs. He doesn't need anything else. Just the pen, the phone, the paddle ball game, the chair, and that's it.

Wait. He needs this ashtray.

But that's it.

The pen, the phone, the paddle ball game, the chair and this ashtray and that's it.

Nice :thumbsup:

To all of you that claims Palestine is a threat to Israel. Congratulations. You've been sufficiently brainwashed. How does to feel to have no rational thoughts and no common sense when it comes to Israel?

I mean we're talking about one of the strongest armies in world vs a bunch of guys without uniforms. No army. No navy. No marines. No nothing. It's not like some of you guys aren't intelligent, some of you are, so what else could it be? It's gotta be that you're brainwashed. Programmed, so to speak.

To all of you that claims Palestine is a threat to Israel. Congratulations. You've been sufficiently brainwashed. How does to feel to have no rational thoughts and no common sense when it comes to Israel?

I mean we're talking about one of the strongest armies in world vs a bunch of guys without uniforms. No army. No navy. No marines. No nothing. It's not like some of you guys aren't intelligent, some of you are, so what else could it be? It's gotta be that you're brainwashed. Programmed, so to speak.

Nice spin. I already answered you, you agreed and now say Im brainwashed?

Accusing people of being brainwashed is a low tactic left for lemmings like jtsp. You should remain above that.

Edited by meazza

an alternative explanation is that they, like you, have a dog in the hunt. i'd like to see a poll of americans with no close ties to either side (like me), and that includes fundamentalists that think israel must fulfill bible prophecy. i think such a poll would be quite unfavorable to netanyahu's israel.

Edited by birdog1960

Nice spin. I already answered you, you agreed and now say Im brainwashed?

Accusing people of being brainwashed is a low tactic left for lemmings like jtsp. You should remain above that.

I just can't see any rational reason why anyone would say Palestine is a threat to Israel. I debated greatly whether or not I should hit the "add reply" button.

an alternative explanation is that, they, like you, have a dog in the hunt. i'd like to see a poll of americans with no close ties to either side (like me), and that includes fundamentalists that think israel must fulfill bible prophecy. i think such a poll would be quite unfavorable to netanyahu's israel.

Lol you are such a hack it's comical.

I just can't see any rational reason why anyone would say Palestine is a threat to Israel. I debated greatly whether or not I should hit the "add reply" button.

And i answered you so and so did tom.

You don't need a navy or an army to threaten civilians. Turn on any tv and you'll see that reality.

Day after day. Year after year. All you hear on the news is Israel's security is being threatened. I don't blame anyone for thinking that way. It simply isn't true.

Lol you are such a hack it's comical.

And i answered you so and so did tom.

You don't need a navy or an army to threaten civilians. Turn on any tv and you'll see that reality.

Terrorist attacks in Israel are a rarity these days. Btw, ever wonder why terrorists are far more effective in their attacks on muslim land as opposed to anywhere else? With the exception of 9/11 of course. Edited by Justice

Day after day. Year after year. All you hear on the news is Israel's security is being threatened. I don't blame anyone for thinking that way. It simply isn't true.

i don't see why it really matters whether that's true or not. ukraine is clearly threatened. are we sending them billions and propping up their military? why should we do it for israel when they insult the office of the president and have more means to fight than the vast majority of nations on the globe? take away the nipple. let em stand on their own. and the glut of oil and energy worldwide makes this argument even stronger.

Edited by birdog1960

You think of threat in military terms but what the leaders of Israel see as a threat Is their well educated productive engineers, scientists, and other professions saying to themselves " we could live anywhere is it really worth living here" Sure their fundamentalists are do or die but a lot of their fundamentalist basically see religious study as their one and only job and that's not what keeps a society going. So any threat that tips the calculus of the professional class from staying to going they see as a long term existential threat.

Terrorist attacks in Israel are a rarity these days. Btw, ever wonder why terrorists are far more effective in their attacks on muslim land as opposed to anywhere else? With the exception of 9/11 of course.

Because they focus on their security?

And what would happen if they wouldn't?

i don't see why it really matters whether that's true or not. ukraine is clearly threatened. are we sending them billions and propping up their military? why should we do it for israel when they insult the office of the president and have more means to fight than the vast majority of nations on the globe? take away the nipple. let em stand on their own. and the glut of oil and energy worldwide makes this argument even stronger.

How on Earth did Israel insult the office of the President?

Because they focus on their security?

And what would happen if they wouldn't?

Unfortunately there would be more attacks. There's no denying that, at least until Palestine is granted statehood. The status-quo just ain't cutting it for anyone. Not the Palestinians, nor the Israelis.

do you even read the news? the prime minister's uninvited speech to congress was a clear affront to the president.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/boehner-netanyahu-congress-invitation-obama

Was the President sending campaign workers to another country an affront to anything? The office of the President and the office of the Prime Minister perhaps?

Was the President sending campaign workers to another country an affront to anything? The office of the President and the office of the Prime Minister perhaps?

you asked how israel insulted the oiffice of the presidency. i answered. lets debate that before addressing your bizarre right wing nut allegation.

Edited by birdog1960

you asked how israel insulted the oiffice of the presidency. i answered. lets debate that before addressing your bizarre right wing nut allegation.

How dare he react to Obama trying to defend his country and by trying to get elected? Obama had spoken.

Like the old song says :oops: There it is:

http://thehill.com/policy/international/236565-netanyahu-pollster-obama-role-in-election-larger-than-reported

Also please define the word uninvited.

Edited by 4merper4mer