Scott Chandler RELEASED (Now signed by Pats)

KDIGGZ

I don't understand this move. Chandler is a starting caliber TE in the NFL. He's the best we've had since Jay Riemersma (or however it's spelled).

I dread the Robert Royal, Derek Schoumann, Tim Euhus years that we have suffered.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand this move. Chandler is a starting caliber TE in the NFL. He's the best we've had since Jay Riemersma (or however it's spelled).

I dread the Robert Royal, Derek Schoumann, Tim Euhus years that we have suffered.

the bills are upgrading at the position

"Starting caliber" isn't good enough

@ChrisTrapasso: As @JDForrest129 just mentioned to me, cutting Scott Chandler gave the #Bills the money to re-sign Easley and Wynn.

the bills are upgrading at the position

"Starting caliber" isn't good enough

@ChrisTrapasso: As @JDForrest129 just mentioned to me, cutting Scott Chandler gave the #Bills the money to re-sign Easley and Wynn.

No Mario restructure? Then we could keep everybody.

the bills are upgrading at the position"Starting caliber" isn't good enough

I would have liked to see them actually upgrade it before releasing Chandler. What happens if Clay signs with Cleveland or Miami matches the Bills offer?

If we miss out on Clay I would assume that we sign Fasano. He isn't that inspiring but isn't that different from Chandler in terms of skills. He is probably a better blocker and Chandler probably a better WR. Neither guy is going to strike fear into opposing DC's the way that Clay is capable of. Hopefully the Bills have the numbers crunched and can get the front loaded part of the contract north of $10M this year. I would think that may get it done.

If we miss out on Clay I would assume that we sign Fasano. He isn't that inspiring but isn't that different from Chandler in terms of skills. He is probably a better blocker and Chandler probably a better WR. Neither guy is going to strike fear into opposing DC's the way that Clay is capable of. Hopefully the Bills have the numbers crunched and can get the front loaded part of the contract north of $10M this year. I would think that may get it done.

I don't think Roman has a want for a guy like Chandler even though he's a decent TE in other systems. Roman wants a guy like Clay for sure, or one that blocks, or one that is athletic. Chandler is none of those. Fasano is the blocker. Gragg is the athletic type. Gray is the Hybrid HBack type like Clay. None of those three are good players but they fit the type. Clay is needed here.

I don't think Roman has a want for a guy like Chandler even though he's a decent TE in other systems. Roman wants a guy like Clay for sure, or one that blocks, or one that is athletic. Chandler is none of those. Fasano is the blocker. Gragg is the athletic type. Gray is the Hybrid HBack type like Clay. None of those three are good players but they fit the type. Clay is needed here.

What's that quote about coaches and systems?

What's that quote about coaches and systems?

I know you're being snarky because you don't even believe half the stuff you post, but I'll answer anyway. Good coaches fit their systems around their players strengths, but that is after they are already on the team. Chandler is no longer on the team.

Secondly, but maybe more importantly, it's true of all players but it's more true about your best and most important players, and Chandler was going to be the worst skill player on the Bills starting unit, if he started. So the snarky comment doesn't work there either.

Thirdly, the quote about coaches and systems in no way is meant to be absolute, as in you should always be looking for players that fit your system. You always should be, and that's what the Bills are doing, going after guys like Clay and Fasano, who would be there just as a cheap blocker. But thanks for playing.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I know you're being snarky because you don't even believe half the stuff you post, but I'll answer anyway. Good coaches fit their systems around their players strengths, but that is after they are already on the team. Chandler is no longer on the team.

Secondly, but maybe more importantly, it's true of all players but it's more true about your best and most important players, and Chandler was going to be the worst skill player on the Bills starting unit, if he started. So the snarky comment doesn't work there either.

Thirdly, the quote about coaches and systems in no way is meant to be absolute, as in you should always be looking for players that fit your system. You always should be, and that's what the Bills are doing, going after guys like Clay and Fasano, who would be there just as a cheap blocker. But thanks for playing.

What backwards logic are you using for your first point? As long as you cut a guy, you don't have to worry about adapting schemes? Okay.

As to 2, our starting TE right now is Gragg. Is he not the worst skill player on the starting lineup? Let's say we don't land Clay, do we adapt to Gragg or just cut him so it's "problem solved."

As to 3, of course you pursue other, better fits. The real question is do you cut guys who can at least start before you get someone else?

Bonus question: If we couldn't afford Clay (zero cap) would we have cut Chandler?

2nd bonus question: Why are we cutting guys for cap room when we can just have Mario restructure?

What backwards logic are you using for your first point? As long as you cut a guy, you don't have to worry about adapting schemes? Okay.

As to 2, our starting TE right now is Gragg. Is he not the worst skill player on the starting lineup? Let's say we don't land Clay, do we adapt to Gragg or just cut him so it's "problem solved."

As to 3, of course you pursue other, better fits. The real question is do you cut guys who can at least start before you get someone else?

Bonus question: If we couldn't afford Clay (zero cap) would we have cut Chandler?

2nd bonus question: Why are we cutting guys for cap room when we can just have Mario restructure?

1] It's not backwards logic, it's the fact of the quote and what it means. Chandler was likely never in the plans after they had weeks of meetings, discussed what the offense was going to look like with the players we have and want, and they got a chance to look at all the film.

2] There is FA and the draft and June 1 and training camp. The quote you referred to, as I said, is about who is on your team when you are playing. You think Gragg is going to be #1? No. You already know the answers to these questions.

3] You cut guys that cost to must for their perceived production. Chandler is a slow non blocking TE. He's not going to play much. So you cut guys like that because you know you are going to replace them with either guys who can do what you want them to or cheaper ones.

4] In all likelihood yes we would cut Chandler without Clay. We just did.

5] Because we still have OL and other positions to and players to sign, as evidenced by the three players they signed after Chandler was released and the holes that still exist.

1] It's not backwards logic, it's the fact of the quote and what it means. Chandler was likely never in the plans after they had weeks of meetings, discussed what the offense was going to look like with the players we have and want, and they got a chance to look at all the film.

2] There is FA and the draft and June 1 and training camp. The quote you referred to, as I said, is about who is on your team when you are playing. You think Gragg is going to be #1? No. You already know the answers to these questions.

yes he does. he just likes to play games...