SF FA guard Mike Iupati (update: going to Cardinals)

CJPearl2

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top FA guard available. He just made his third straight pro bowl. Pay him and fix a major problem.

There's a real chance given that his HC just left and his team will have a new philosophy.

However, we'd do well to remember that players call the shots in FA and you cannot make someone sign with you. It's a combo of offering the best money and getting a buy-in to what you're doing.

Does Dareus need to be signed this year? I think they have him for one more? Regardless, I think they have the space especially if they let Pears go.

Let Pears go? That will put a serious dent in our offensive sack production. Wait.... that's a good thing.

Top FA guard available. He just made his third straight pro bowl. Pay him and fix a major problem.

I believe this is pretty close how Titans fans felt about Levitre 2 seasons ago. The most recognizable name is not always the best option. Just keeping an open mind here.

I believe this is pretty close how Titans fans felt about Levitre 2 seasons ago. The most recognizable name is not always the best option. Just keeping an open mind here.

disagree. Iupati is everything you want in a guard. Levitre was a converted tackle who definitely works situationally, but isn't a fit for a team seeking big maulers.

Not next year but you still have to factor in his deal.

I think they will let Pears, Rivers, Lawson, and Spikes walk. That frees up another $10 mil., and they are projected to have $17 m available in cap space prior to those moves. They'll need to sign Searcy, Bryant, Wynn, Easely, Hogan, and Hairston. That'll probably cost them around $4mil above their current salaries. Hughes has a $4mil hit this year, so what will it take to sign him? Another $5mil? That leaves a lot of space to sign some other FAs. I assume Iupati would cost about $7-8 mil?

I think they will let Pears, Rivers, Lawson, and Spikes walk. That frees up another $10 mil., and they are projected to have $17 m available in cap space prior to those moves. They'll need to sign Searcy, Bryant, Wynn, Easely, Hogan, and Hairston. That'll probably cost them around $4mil above their current salaries. Hughes has a $4mil hit this year, so what will it take to sign him? Another $5mil? That leaves a lot of space to sign some other FAs. I assume Iupati would cost about $7-8 mil?

I'm all for getting the best free agents we can but a team can only have so many big ticket players. Something to keep in mind.