Doug Whaley: 11 Trades in Two Years

Full article here: http://t.co/AZaV61QEVr

Trade 1
St. Louis gets: 2013 Round 1 pick (WR Tavon Austin), 2013 Round 3 pick (S T.J. McDonald)
Buffalo gets: 2013 Round 1 pick (QB EJ Manuel), 2013 Round 2 pick (LB Kiko Alonso), 2013 Round 3 pick (WR Marquise Goodwin), 2013 Round 7 pick (TE Chris Gragg)
Trade 2
Indianapolis gets: LB Kelvin Sheppard
Buffalo gets: DE Jerry Hughes
Trade 3
Detroit gets: LB Chris White
Buffalo gets: QB Thad Lewis
Trade 4
Tampa Bay gets: 2014 Round 6 pick (WR Robert Herron)
Buffalo gets: WR Mike Williams
Trade 5
Cleveland gets: 2014 Round 1 pick (CB Justin Gilbert), 2015 Round 1 pick, 2015 Round 4 pick
Buffalo gets: 2014 Round 1 pick (WR Sammy Watkins)
Trade 6
San Francisco gets: WR Stevie Johnson
Buffalo gets: 2015 Round 4 pick (traded to Philadelphia in Trade 8)
Trade 7
St. Louis gets: 2014 Round 2 pick (S Lamarcus Joyner)
Buffalo gets: 2014 Round 2 pick (OT Cyrus Kouandjio), 2014 Round 5 pick (OG Cyril Richardson)
Trade 8
Philadelphia gets: 2015 Round 4 pick (acquired from San Francisco in Trade 6)
Buffalo gets: RB Bryce Brown
Trade 9
Tampa Bay gets: 2014 Round 5 pick (OT Kevin Pamphile)
Buffalo gets: 2014 Round 7 pick (LB Randell Johnson), 2015 Round 5 pick
Trade 10
Philadelphia gets: LB Kiko Alonso
Buffalo gets: RB LeSean McCoy
Trade 11
Minnesota gets: 2015 Round 5 pick, 2016 Round 7 pick
Buffalo gets: QB Matt Cassel, 2015 Round 6 pick

Not sure if trade 1 was Nix's or Whaley's.

He fleeced the Colts on the Hughes-Sheppard trade.

The McCoy-Alonso trade may just get us into the playoffs.

Overall, more good than bad on the trades.

Its about time NFL GM's start making more trades. I dont understand why the NFL in particular is so finnicky when it comes to trading players...perhaps a lot of it has to do with scheme....Every team in the NFL has players that arent performing to their organizations expectations, you would think they would be more willing to swap these guys and give them a change in scenary.

all pretty decent. he missed on the Mike Williams and Bryce Brown deals. but how well he did on the others makes up for that

man. you and i agree on precisely zero.

missed on mike williams? anything that costs later than a third round pick can't be categorized as a "miss," IMO.

and it's WAAAAAAAAAAY too early to close the book on BB.

Edited by The Big Cat

Whaley's total background is pro scouting before he became GM. Most of the time, guys will have moved around to work in both college And pro scouting depts before becoming a dir of player personnel (and then GM). And many times, the biggest strength is college scouting. I think this is why Whaley seems to be more comfortable with player trades than other GMs. And has hit on some lower profile FA signings. He seems to have a really good handle on personnel around the league and scheme fit. As long as he has a strong dir of college scouting in place, it should be fine. Not sure how to evaluate his drafts yet. Too early IMO.

missed on mike williams? anything that costs later than a third round pick can't be categorized as a "miss," IMO.

Mike Williams didn't even sniff the field last year. I would count that as a miss

Mike Williams didn't even sniff the field last year. I would count that as a miss

And if I took two sips from a $0.39 cup of coffee and threw it away, I wouldn't count it as a loss. I'm not sure you're understanding what I'm saying here.

Also, Mike Williams has been free to sign with any of the 31 other teams for two and a half months now. How's that going?

And if I took two sips from a $0.39 cup of coffee and threw it away, I wouldn't count it as a loss. I'm not sure you're understanding what I'm saying here.

Also, Mike Williams has been free to sign with any of the 31 other teams for two and a half months now. How's that going?

a miss is a miss. i bet they are wishing they had that 6th round pick instead of Mike Williams on the bench last year.

Why is Bryce Brown a fail? They kept him out of games as we didn't need him and it kept his compensation pick lower. We'll see what he's got this year.

i'll agree that perhaps the jury is still out on him. but nobody can say they were impressed by what they saw from him last year.

Why is Bryce Brown a fail? They kept him out of games as we didn't need him and it kept his compensation pick lower. We'll see what he's got this year.

i would not be surprised at all to see him between the tackles and goal line carries. I would say we will see McCoy used like Gore and Brown used like Hyde in last years 49ers run game. Edited by YoloinOhio

Yeah he should be a great complement to LM, and FJax of course will give us good reps. And Boobie.

It's funny how this works. For years the Bills didn't do any trades when other teams were and then people complained that the team wasn't doing enough trades. Now that they are people are complaining.

Sometimes I just hate people.

I think Whaley is great. He's young and 'seems' to be very good at what he does (imo). I mention young simply because I like the idea of him being here a long time. He is clearly bold and isn't afraid to 'put his name' on a move. I think our talent level has improved drastically since Whaley (and a nod to Buddy as well) 'took over.' Whaley also seems to churn the roster a lot more than other GM's. I.e. lots of signings and releases throughout the season in a continuous attempt to find good players. He makes huge deals...but he also grinds. It's not ever going to be perfect....but he's made more good moves than bad. You have to love his conviction.

My biggest fear this offseason was that he would somehow be forced out. I, for one, am extremely glad that did not occur.

Yeah, I reserve judgement on him. Our OL was a joke this past season. No RB really had a great season for the Bills...

Trades aren't just players. It's the cap hit one takes on to acquire a player, and in Williams' case the Bills took on some of that, which was somewhat off-set by only surrendering a low round pick.

The McCoy deal included an even larger degree of that.

As for Bryce Brown, well, the backfield is awfully crowded right now. That deal doesn't look so good in light of the deal made Tuesday night.

Edited by BillsVet