Joe B QB take

vegas55

So Bills "beat" reporter Joe B weighed in on WGR with his take on QB situation. His take was that the Bills would still pursue one of top free agent QBs available (Locker, Sanchez) even after the Cassell trade. Of course, as is always the case, this was just his opinion, and not based on any inside source within the organization. This is because Joe B has no sources within the Bills organization. He has never developed any.

But his take is ridiculous and even Sal and Bulldog were taken aback. If he knew anything about football he would realize that it is simply impossible for a team to fairly evaluate three QBs. There are not enough reps in practice, and not enough preseason games to completely evaluate three QBs. He should know this. And bringing in one of these QBs would mean that the Bills would be committing in excess of 10 million dollars to the QB position, without having a top flight, clear cut starter. Ridiculous.

I wish Joe B would develop some actual inside sources/information and spare us his opinions, which are no better or worse than your average drunk er er fan sitting at a local watering hole.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Bills "beat" reporter Joe B weighed in on WGR with his take on QB situation. His take was that the Bills would still pursue one of top free agent QBs available (Locker, Sanchez) even after the Cassell trade. Of course, as is always the case, this was just his opinion, and not based on any inside source within the organization. This is because Joe B has no sources within the Bills organization. He has never developed any.

But his take is ridiculous and even Sal and Bulldog were taken aback. If he knew anything about football he would realize that it is simply impossible for a team to fairly evaluate three QBs. There are not enough reps in practice, and not enough preseason games to completely evaluate three QBs. He should know this. And bringing in one of these QBs would mean that the Bills would be committing in excess of 10 million dollars to the QB position, without having a top flight, clear cut starter. Ridiculous.

I wish Joe B would develop some actual inside sources/information and spare us his opinions, which are no better or worse than your average drunk er er fan sitting at a local watering hole.

Except for the Seattle Seahawks did just that and it worked out okay for them. I think Joe B is right.

Maybe they really don't like EJ. Don't forget that last season the plan was pretty much "let's hope EJ is good" until the team panicked due to his absolutely incompetent performance during camp and the preseason and signed Orton right before Labor Day.

It took just a few games for them to bench EJ. What does that tell you?

"Marrone just wanted to win games! It wasn't FAIR!"

Exactly. Marrone wanted to WIN GAMES. EJ was benched because he was getting in the way of that happening. They put in an out of shape guy who drinks Jack instead of Gatorade and whose heart was only halfway into playing in there at QB and the offense instantly looked better.

EJ faces an extremely steep climb in earning this franchise's trust after that. They went all in on him last offseason and it blew up in their faces.

With somewhat established guys like Cassel and Locker you have a bunch of NFL film to watch on them, so you have a good idea of what you're getting.

It could very well end up being Locker/Cassel (whoever wins the camp competition) and a rookie or EJ as a developmental prospect. If they do sign Locker or Sanchez I would almost expect them to cut EJ.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Maybe they really don't like EJ. Don't forget that last season the plan was pretty much "let's hope EJ is good" until the team panicked due to his absolutely incompetent performance during camp and the preseason and signed Orton right before Labor Day.

Exactly. Marrone wanted to WIN GAMES. EJ was benched because he was getting in the way of that happening. They put in an out of shape guy who drinks Jack instead of Gatorade and whose heart was only halfway into playing in there at QB and the offense instantly looked better.

EJ faces an extremely steep climb in earning this franchise's trust after that. They went all in on him last offseason and it blew up in their faces.

With somewhat established guys like Cassel and Locker you have a bunch of NFL film to watch on them, so you have a good idea of what you're getting.

It could very well end up being Locker/Cassel (whoever wins the camp competition) and a rookie or EJ as a developmental prospect. If they do sign Locker or Sanchez I would almost expect them to cut EJ.

To be fair, the game plan for EJ was to learn from a vet QB but Fitz's departure & Kolb's injuries derailed the plan.

Also I'd rather judge EJ's potential with a quality offensive mind & coaching staff before I will go with the debacle Mutt & Jeff turned out last year offensively (no pun)...sure Orton initially jump started that pop warner offense but eventually that pig reared its ugly head. The entire offense sputtered under his leadership...every player on that side of the ball regress during the season including Orton.

By all accounts EJ did learn a lot from the Orton experiment, that's testament in itself, IMO.

Wow. What a dumb thread. Could you grasp for straws anymore? I was listening to the segment when it happened. He said "it wouldn't surprise him" if they still brought in another free agent. He didn't even say he thinks it will happen. And Bulldog agreed with him. Sal, everybody's darling at the moment, disagreed with him. I happen to agree with Joe Buscaglia here. It wouldn't surprise me either. What is with all the vitriol constantly directed toward Buffalo media members? It's ridiculous. I live in Denver and I cannot even begin to tell you how much better Schopp and the Bulldog are than the afternoon drive guys in Denver. The only guys I'm not cool with are Gleason and Sullivan. The WGR guys are just fine. Joe B is good at what he does. So is Jeremy White. And I honestly believe that all you who say otherwise are just jealous that guys like Joe B worked to a point that they get to cover the Buffalo Bills for a living while you are sitting at a desk somewhere doing some mundane job and you're pissed off about what you didn't do with your career.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Doug Marrone is an offensive line coach in Jacksonville. Orton had the same qbr as EJ's rookie year. Maybe the problem with the offense was bigger than just EJ.

But if the Bills cutting EJ for 2 older guys with similar stats would be such a Bills move. Dumb.

The Bills will be drafting a QB probably now.

Doug Marrone is an offensive line coach in Jacksonville. Orton had the same qbr as EJ's rookie year. Maybe the problem with the offense was bigger than just EJ.

But if the Bills cutting EJ for 2 older guys with similar stats would be such a Bills move. Dumb.

Don't worry they won't just use stats... Whoever wins in TC starts.

I agree with every single word you said here and you made me laugh with the Jack instead of Gatorade comment. Orton's crowning moment of the season was when the camera showed him throwing in that monster dip after they sealed up a win.

Here we go again. It would only be dumb if EJ went on to be good somewhere else. Let me ask you this (let's not argue OK?): what if, WHAT IF, they bring in, say Jake Locker, and all throughout camp and all throughout preseason Manuel is CLEARLY a distant third. Are you OK cutting him then? Honest question.

I don't think the Bills are done at QB.

I think they will still add another FA or even trade. Worse add a QB in the draft.

By pure numbers they have to. Ryan and Whaley were talking about going to camp with 4. I honestly don't see Tuel in the mix. So with Manuel and Cassel, they need to add 2 more.

I also don't see the Bills trying to "get by" at the position. They will load up, even if it means cutting a guy in camp.

That's just how I see it

Who are our three QB's? EJ, Cassell and Tuel? You really think they are staying with Tuel?

I don't think the Bills are done at QB.

I think they will still add another FA or even trade. Worse add a QB in the draft.

By pure numbers they have to. Ryan and Whaley were talking about going to camp with 4. I honestly don't see Tuel in the mix. So with Manuel and Cassel, they need to add 2 more.

I also don't see the Bills trying to "get by" at the position. They will load up, even if it means cutting a guy in camp.

That's just how I see it

Right. And as Joe B pointed out in that very segment, the Bills could always just cut Cassel and all they'd owe him is $600K and he wouldn't count against the cap. But let's start a thread slamming a guy for saying it wouldn't surprise him if they brought in another FA QB.

Here we go again. It would only be dumb if EJ went on to be good somewhere else. Let me ask you this (let's not argue OK?): what if, WHAT IF, they bring in, say Jake Locker, and all throughout camp and all throughout preseason Manuel is CLEARLY a distant third. Are you OK cutting him then? Honest question.

You think EJ sucks. I get it. You probably would have thought Locker sucked if you watched him his first 2 years too.

Give Nate Hackett and Doug Marrone's vast track record of developing NFL Qbs, I can't ever imagine second guessing them. I mean they got top coaching gigs in a high profile situation.

You think EJ sucks. I get it. You probably would have thought Locker sucked if you watched him his first 2 years too.

Give Nate Hackett and Doug Marrone's vast track record of developing NFL Qbs, I can't ever imagine second guessing them. I mean they got top coaching gigs in a high profile situation.

Dude I'm really not trying to argue, I swear. I'm just asking you that IF EJ sucks again in camp and the preseason and everyone agrees that he is a distant third behind Cassel and whoever else (there will be a third guy, mark my words- Jeff Tuel is not a real guy), would you be OK cutting him then?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Put aside your feeling about Marrone for a second.

He and Whaley had their choice of any QB in EJ's draft, and they picked EJ. They then made the Watkins trade a year later to help EJ develop. They did basiclaly nothing at QB last offseason, leaving the team's fate entirely in EJ's hands.

In short, EJ was their guy. The fact that they brought in ZERO compeition/help at the QB spot last offseason should be even more proof of that.

What happened? EJ was absolutely freaking HORRIBLE in OTA's, camp, and pre-season. Whaley and Marrone finally panicked and started sifting through the free agent leftovers for someone to play QB in August.

Finally they found Orton, who sighed and said "What the hell...I guess I'll take your money," downed his beer, packed his mouth full of chew, and headed on up to Orchard Park.

EJ was embarassingly bad. Marrone might be a jerk, but EJ was HIS GUY and he cut the cord that quickly.

Rex has no connection to EJ, and Whaley's fate seemingly has little to do with whether EJ pans out at this point. Everyone misses sometimes. If they sign another QB I would not expect to see EJ start a regular season game here again.