What happens with Marquise Goodwin?

QB Bills

I think he was referring to a tall, physical WR. A "throw it up to" guy. I believe the Bills will target that kind of guy in the draft, early. Possibly Jaelen Strong or DGB. Don't sleep Austin Hill from Arizona. May slip in draft because of ACL tear.

Yep maybe he was, but regardless, Rex often only kept 5 receivers on the roster at the Jets to keep extra DBs and LBs.... if they bring a 4th guy in and want to keep Easley for his special teams prowess then it leaves Goodwin vulnerable.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bingo.

And that's ignoring things like hogan dressing over MW when we needed a red zone threat

And if spillers gone and Leo is cb2 Goodwin can contribute on ST too.

You wouldn't have dressed Hogan? He emerged as a legitimate #3 WR last year. As someone else pointed out there's no way Goodwin is durable enough to take on that type of role.

If he could just stay healthy, he'd be awesome. He showed us in his rookie year (when Stevie and Woods were out) that he has hands and route running capabilty, but Marrone/Hackett only used him to run fly routes most of the time. Throw a 4 WR set out there, and have Goodwin run something other than a fly route, use his speed to get separation over the middle of the field and room to run? This guy can change the game for us. So yeah, it all depends on if he can get healthy, and if we can actually use him correctly. I'm not confident in either.

The absolute worst thing about Marquise Goodwin is that he can only run 2 or 3 routes on the tree. A post, a flare and maybe a hook route. The post has to be downfield and a 12 yard break and the hook has to be 20 yards down field.

Goodwin has value to this team but it is not as much as someone like Hogan, Graham, David Nelson, Easley, or a bunch of others have because they can actually play football.

You are astute and perspicacious.

Some players excel in a combine setting and others regularly make contributions on the field. I just don't see him overcoming his fragility in such a brutal sport.

At this point, I don't really see Goodwin having any significant role on the Bills offense. Chris Hogan has had a much bigger role to play and then if you figure that Watkins and Woods are pretty much 1/2, there's not a lot of passes going Goodwin's way. As others have said too, small speedsters don't often have a ton of success in the pros. Goodwin is all of 5-9 and 175 pounds soaking wet and can't stay healthy. Add now the fact that Roman is more of a possession receiver type of O.C., and it doesn't look good for Goodwin. His career disappearance warning light is blinking.

yes lets dump a player whos speed it took 3 draft picks to get.

If we lose goodwin we have spent in just 3 years, a 4rth a 3rd another 3rd, a 2nd, and two 1sts, all to get two receivers- woods and watkins!

Goodwin represents what we gave up to get speed at the position, a 3rd for him, a 3rd for graham and a 1st for ej since no russel wilson. Now why wouldnt we want a guy that can catch a quick TD and make the defense back up an extra 10 yards when hes on the field? anyone remember dante hall? he was about the size of goodwin. big guys like hogan are a dime a dozen. if goodwin is fragile heres the solution, bring him in in 4-5 wide sets and let him run deep.

Well, a lot of guys (spikes, Goodwin, spiller) are refugees from another coaching regime, the "dead men walking" just coaching and waiting for Ralph's demise and the inevitable blow up of the coaching staff and change in philosophies that come with it. So, this is just natural, the real one is does this coaching staff move on from EJ as yet another refugee from the Marrone college coaching regime.

yes lets dump a player whos speed it took 3 draft picks to get.

If we lose goodwin we have spent in just 3 years, a 4rth a 3rd another 3rd, a 2nd, and two 1sts, all to get two receivers- woods and watkins!

Goodwin represents what we gave up to get speed at the position, a 3rd for him, a 3rd for graham and a 1st for ej since no russel wilson. Now why wouldnt we want a guy that can catch a quick TD and make the defense back up an extra 10 yards when hes on the field? anyone remember dante hall? he was about the size of goodwin. big guys like hogan are a dime a dozen. if goodwin is fragile heres the solution, bring him in in 4-5 wide sets and let him run deep.

I think he has a place on the team. But as you mentioned it's as a role player and needs to be put in a position to succeed. Not put into traffic !!

But that being said , he gets dinged once in OTA etc Bills gotta move on.

My only issue with him is health. i think he can play football.

I know his whole thing was that he is a football player, not a track star. But I still don't see it. He basically has to be wide open to catch a pass. He's not going to win any jump ball balls. He just doesn't seem to savvy on the field. I like the fact that he can stretch the field, but it seems that's pretty much all he does.

Let's just get the smart-ass response of "he gets injured" out of the way first.

Disclaimer: I'm a sucker for the blazing fast guys. I held out hope for Roscoe Parrish and TJ Graham longer than most so take this all with a grain of salt.

Having said that. I love watching this guy play and I think he needs to be used more. The separation he gets is not something I've ever seen from a Bills player. Yes he gets hurt a lot, but he's not a wimpy player. The guy goes into the middle and will take a hit to make a catch.

For those who have seen their share of Niners games, what role do you see him playing in Roman's offense? I can't recall if they had a guy like him before. Brandon Lloyd is fast, but not really the same kind of player. From everything Rex and Roman have said, it seems like they prefer size and power over the small, fast guys.

Watkins and Goodwin on the ends with Woods in the slot would scare defenses (if we had a QB, that is).

Goodwin has not amounted to anything so far.

Further, he will not amount to anything, ever, in terms of being an NFL WR.

Other than that, I'm not sure what there is to write about.

Goodwin has not amounted to anything so far.

Further, he will not amount to anything, ever, in terms of being an NFL WR.

Other than that, I'm not sure what there is to write about.

um maybe we had lame qbs and systems that in a whopping 2 seasons didnt get him the ball more than 25 times? maybe that 2 seasons doesnt mean squat otherwise we would have thought eric moulds and SJ were busts and that trent edwards was a franchise QB . maybe dante hall and other role players didnt really have roles, we keep crap WRs like easly just to do ST dont we?. other than that your point is really logical and relevant.

um maybe we had lame qbs and systems that in a whopping 2 seasons didnt get him the ball more than 25 times? maybe that 2 seasons doesnt mean squat otherwise we would have thought eric moulds and SJ were busts and that trent edwards was a franchise QB . maybe dante hall and other role players didnt really have roles, we keep crap WRs like easly just to do ST dont we?. other than that your point is really logical and relevant.

Thanks, Enlightener! Pleasure meeting you too!

I totally agree our QB play for like the last, oh, 20 years or so hasn't been superlative.

But you must watch these games like the rest of us. Goodwin is made of balsa wood, cellophane, and rubber bands...and like a lot of track stars turned NFL WR...he doesn't amount to a heap of dog #*%.

Sorry.

Thanks, Enlightener! Pleasure meeting you too!

I totally agree our QB play for like the last, oh, 20 years or so hasn't been superlative.

But you must watch these games like the rest of us. Goodwin is made of balsa wood, cellophane, and rubber bands...and like a lot of track stars turned NFL WR...he doesn't amount to a heap of dog #*%.

Sorry.

the several nfl tds he caught speak othertwise

it is and he has caught all hes been thrown which proves your point wrong. you just backed yourself into a corner. admit it.

lets not do a back and forth here, read my first retort to your short sighted clueless post...

from now on start your post like this..."hi i know nothing about football or analysis, but now im going to write something..."

Edited by enlightener