How has this winter been

Ice bowl 67

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The winter has been mild in Southern WV until Monday 16. A foot of snow made driving a challenge.

More road clearing equipment is needed, but that is probably true anywhere.

Temps in the -10*F range are projected for Wed through Sat.

I used the snow-blower this morning for the first time all winter.

Does everybody assume that everybody else knows where you live? :wallbash:

Grumpy this winter... I should have said what I did last winter now. :D It holds true.

Anyway, so says the guy who never uses the quote feature! :nana::nana::nana:

I assume you are referring to the OP. Their handle is "Ice Bowl 67" and did mention "GB" in the original post.

Reading is fundamental... :nana::nana: :nana: Three more tongues because I am just gving you a hard time.

It's been a typical winter in Austin, TX - lots of 50's & 60's with only a handful of nights under 32 degrees. No ice storms yet, not a single flake of snow. It was 83 degrees this past Sunday.

And Austin is a whole 11 (Chicago) and 12 (Buffalo) degrees south too. You are closer to the Tropic of Cancer than you are to the two cities I mentioned. Betcha the angle of the sun in Austin is higher this time of the year too... :thumbsup:

http://coasTOtwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/glsea/cur/glsea_cur.png (That hole of open water in Superior is exactly where the deepest spot of the lake is)

This season is pointing to being "slow and steady." Less wild dips than last?

The Lakes are officially beating last year for this date (Day 48) for first time this season. Just passed it @ 82.3%. Yet, last year took a hit with a mini-warm up @ this time in February... BUT cold returned w/ a vengence late February and pushed The Lakes up over 90% frozen. I think first time in 34 years???

This year looks like Ontario is freezing more, Superior is taking the slow steady route.

These sub-zero nights will knit them up quick though!

Redux of the late 1970's cold? Seems back then, the vortex was shifting w/years... Eastern Basin getting the cold one year, Western Basin getting it the next or prior year.

The more you look @ it, these last two winters seem to be shaping up as what we normally expect from a mid-continent winter. 1970's, 1980's, 1990's... The first decade of the 2000's appears to be more an anomally? We will see who's right in the coming years! /devil... :-)

Anyway you slice it, these cooler Lake temps will make for higher water elevations (levels)... Most of the evaporation happens in August, but with cooler temps, the water will stay "more" put and not get dumped outside the basin ... = higher Lake waters. Ice hunks were still falling out of The Sea Caves in JULY of last year on Lake Superior. "Ice Out" for Superior last year was June 6th or so!!! I already see the elevations returning on work's water guages. This is good news for the Middle Lakes (Michigan, Huron, & Erie) that do not have their elevations controlled by human structures.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Buffalo is awful. Temps have not gotten above 0 for the last 48 hours. Easy 3 feet on the ground with drifts in areas higher than my chain link fence. I legit had to shovel around the outside of my yard, near the fence, so that my puppy couldn't walk over the fence and escape. Not that she wants to spend more than 2 minutes outside anyways...

Got to agree, this is the worst winter I could remember. It started with the 8 feet of snow. Okay that was kind of fun, got to work from home all week & it melted a week later. December was awesome, we got no snow, temps were above average. I drove my corvette actually 4 or 5 time in December. These last 6-7 weeks though have been the most brutal stretch I could remember. They said on the news that we are 11 degrees below normal for highs in the month of Feb. The news person said that is unheard of, she said 3-4 degrees would be a lot to be below normal. I can't say we have gotten clobbered with snow, no really big storms, but it has been 4 inches one day, 3 inches the next & none of it is melting so I say there is probably a good 3-4 feet on the ground. It looks like maybe towards the end of next week we should get some relief with temps in the 30s & 40s. Temps the last few days are as cold as I think it could get around here. Monday it was -10 in the morning. Not the wind chill the actual temperature. I never remember it being that cold before.

It's been chilly in Tucson, only averaging low 70s. We actually did have two inches of snow on New Year's Day.

I really feel for you, I don't know how people down there manage everyday life with that kind of brutal weather.

I can't even get a good snow storm... Where I love is just a hole... Octavia dropped 5 freaking inches. Now another storm coming but for some reason going to be in the 20's but when the storm comes it will be in the 40's! I can't stand it I just want a nice big winter storm!

I can't even get a good snow storm... Where I love is just a hole... Octavia dropped 5 freaking inches. Now another storm coming but for some reason going to be in the 20's but when the storm comes it will be in the 40's! I can't stand it I just want a nice big winter storm!

life-long WNY'er here..live in southtowns. setting aside the november crazy snow, january and february have been snowy and cold...best year i've ever had on my snowmobile. getting out again tonight.

These are the attitudes i love! My father loved winter, and he passed it on to me.

Ask him about the weather in July.

Haven't experienced it yet but I am not looking forward to it to be honest. I'm just kidding about the weather here now though, it's absolutely gorgeous and I really do feel for you guys back in the northeast, it must be brutal.

These are the attitudes i love! My father loved winter, and he passed it on to me.

Here, we usually get the cold and not much snow... That is much better, IMO... But still love the snow. I told this to my brother a few years ago and almost ripped my head off with: "You wake up every freaking morning with 6 inches of snow to shovel!" He was hurt @ work w/a fall and and broke both feet and an ankle... Still not fully healed and will be probably on disability for the rest of his life. I guess stuff like that makes one hate winter. I got two good feet and can handle a slip in the winter and heavy manual labor/work. The one's that can't probably should head to the lazy South. Yet, as I get older and put more labor behind me, my attitude does change slightly.

BTW... It is 2 above now and I need to head out and fill up the diesel air compressor @ work... I am still in just a hoodie and knit hat... I am starting to wimp out a little and use gloves, metal pump on the transfer barrel gets a tad cold @ 0 degrees F. :nana: There's that pesky :nana: again! :D

No stop being a frozen dumbass and move somewhere warm.

I like being a frozen dumbass! :D

It adds character! :D

Edited by ExiledInIllinois