cutting the cable (or direct) tv cord

birdog1960

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big problem cable companies have is they created so many shows and channels and most of them are the same bull **** year after year. Most people are smart enough to realize it now and have plenty of other options for entertainment and simply turn it off

My parents have a few shows they like and I'll watch some with them, but most of TV is just garbage.

If it weren't for sports, I'd rarely watch TV.

Reality TV is a joke too. How many reality shows are on TV? 600?

I would watch a lot more TV if I could actually learn something on there once in a while.

Edited by Captain Hindsight

• 3 weeks later...

The issue with going streaming that if your equipment ***** the bed you're out of TV. Our wifi router went out and we couldn't stream TV for a couple of days. Luckily we don't watch that much TV but it did suck a bit.

BTW we still watch a lot of broadcast TV. As I mentioned news in the morning but we dig all the old shows on MeTV. There's something quaint and nostalgic about having to me there on the hour or on the half to get the full episode and then mute the commercials. :D

Edited by Chef Jim

I cut the cord a year ago. I pay for Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, Netflix, and NFL Sunday Ticket. All combined around $54 a month (if you divide Sunday ticket over 12 months). Still less than half of what cable was. I literally haven't missed it for a second, and use the Internet for weather and get the WSJ at work for news.

I cut the cord a year ago. I pay for Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, Netflix, and NFL Sunday Ticket. All combined around $54 a month (if you divide Sunday ticket over 12 months). Still less than half of what cable was. I literally haven't missed it for a second, and use the Internet for weather and get the WSJ at work for news.

How is the HD quality on your streaming? Is it consistent or as good as DTV ? I use Netflix from time to time and it's pretty good as long as the internet connection is solid. The only thing from me cutting the cord is losing nice HD.

how do you get sunday ticket without direct tv?

i've been paying close attention to my watching habits the last couple of weeks and the only things i watched that i couldn't get without an antenna were justified and americans both of which fx streams. It's really only the NFL that keeps me on direct tv once hbo goes rogue. it's really a no brainer to cut the cord at that point.

How is the HD quality on your streaming? Is it consistent or as good as DTV ? I use Netflix from time to time and it's pretty good as long as the internet connection is solid. The only thing from me cutting the cord is losing nice HD.

mirroring through apple tv is ok but not as good quality as the dish overall. directly steaming through apple tv is just as good as the dish. i believe antenna received signals will be better than dish since they are not compressed.

Edited by birdog1960

To answer both questions above: my streaming used to be pretty hit or miss through wifi. I bought an XBoxOne when I canceled cable. I don't own a single video game but the Xbox hooks everything (my tv, music, streaming) together. So I now use a direct Ethernet cord to stream everything. As far as Sunday ticket? Yet another reason I bought the Xbox. There's an NFL app and I stream Sunday ticket through that. I'm sure the Xbox is cool for video games, but I'm old now.

I have att uverse, and they going to buy directv in the future. I'm going to stick with att and see what happens. I cancelled directv a year ago and bought nfl rewind to watch the games if they won.

I'm going to move to Buffalo this year and get seasons tickets. So i'll se the home games live, watch the away games on broadcast tv. att uverse basic package carries local channels.

To answer both questions above: my streaming used to be pretty hit or miss through wifi. I bought an XBoxOne when I canceled cable. I don't own a single video game but the Xbox hooks everything (my tv, music, streaming) together. So I now use a direct Ethernet cord to stream everything. As far as Sunday ticket? Yet another reason I bought the Xbox. There's an NFL app and I stream Sunday ticket through that. I'm sure the Xbox is cool for video games, but I'm old now.

Don't you need to live in an area where there is No satellite service in order to get sunday ticket without the dish?

Edited by JR in Pittsburgh

Don't you need to live in an area where there is No satellite service in order to get sunday ticket without the dish?

Nope. You just literally click one button that says you've tried and can't get the Dish. I'd feel bad about lying if I didn't pay the full price for the ticket every year, which I do.

• 2 months later...

update: apple likely to announce a new version of apple tv June 8th. it's expected to have networks and all current offerings and my broadcast at 4K definition. cost is expected to be $40/month. hoping that fx, amc, pbs, espn are part of package. http://www.ecumenicalnews.com/article/new-apple-tv-2015-release-date-rumours-all-new-apple-tv-box-and-streaming-service-could-launch-this-fall-if-announced-at-wwdc-30073 i'm doing the free trial of HBO now through the current apple tv and at $15/ mo it seems a no brainer. virtually identical to hbo go. i'm calling to suspend dss today until NFL begins and will cancel altogether if i can stream sunday ticket by hitting a button as noted above.

update: apple likely to announce a new version of apple tv June 8th. it's expected to have networks and all current offerings and my broadcast at 4K definition. cost is expected to be $40/month. hoping that fx, amc, pbs, espn are part of package. http://www.ecumenicalnews.com/article/new-apple-tv-2015-release-date-rumours-all-new-apple-tv-box-and-streaming-service-could-launch-this-fall-if-announced-at-wwdc-30073 i'm doing the free trial of HBO now through the current apple tv and at $15/ mo it seems a no brainer. virtually identical to hbo go. i'm calling to suspend dss today until NFL begins and will cancel altogether if i can stream sunday ticket by hitting a button as noted above.

I've been waiting to see what apple tv will offer. I don't currently have cable, but I plan on getting either apple or sling once football season starts. It'll be nice to only pay for the extra service for half the year while football is on. Off the bat I'd say sling is going to be the better deal, but we'll see once all of the apple details come out.

So you think you're coming out ahead by paying $60/mo for a stripped down version of TV, plus about $50/mo for internet access?

(Besides, Apple's TV service won't launch on June 8th because they don't have programming deals in place yet)

Edited by GG

So you think you're coming out ahead by paying $60/mo for a stripped down version of TV, plus about $50/mo for internet access?

(Besides, Apple's TV service won't launch on June 8th because they don't have programming deals in place yet)

i pay $120/ mo for direct tv now + sundy tix. direct tv doesn't have internet but have some deals with the phone company. i priced them. it was cheaper and faster from a local cable company. i think it's $40/mo. so the starting point is $160/mo or thereabouts + sunday. tix.

the proposed deal: $40 for apple+ 15 for hbo now + 40 for internet= $95. 95<<<<160. over a year it's about $800. some of the current cost is hardware rental and dvr fees. there's no need for that if it's all on demand like HBO now. the unobtrusive apple tv boxes are now $69. even if you don't have one, it doesn't take long to recoup from not renting and they'rew about 1/5 the size of a satellite box.

additionally, you could turn off the dish for 6 mos and save 1/2 on that bill but the same can be done for apple tv. personally, i'd rather have apple tv all year for the price of about 6 mos of Direct tv. one more thing,: never have to deal with some of the worst customer service people in all of business!

Edited by birdog1960

i pay $120/ mo for direct tv now + sundy tix. direct tv doesn't have internet but have some deals with the phone company. i priced them. it was cheaper and faster from a local cable company. i think it's $40/mo. so the starting point is $160/mo or thereabouts + sunday. tix.

the proposed deal: $40 for apple+ 15 for hbo now + 40 for internet= $95. 95<<<<160. over a year it's about $800. some of the current cost is hardware rental and dvr fees. there's no need for that if it's all on demand like HBO now.

additionally, you could turn off the dish for 6 mos and save 1/2 on that bill but the same can be done for apple tv. personally, i'd rather have apple tv all year for the price of about 6 mos of Direct tv. one more thing,: never have to deal with some of the worst customer service people in all of business!

That will work for you if you only watch a small amount of TV.

If you want to watch even one show that's not part of Apple's bundle, you may need to pay another $10 to add another tier. Before you know it, you'll be almost at the price of DTV for less channels. You're also not factoring in the surcharge Apple will sock you to watch local channels, plus the $100 equipment for each Apple TV. The biggest reason cable rates are so high is their programming cost is through the roof. And Apple is not getting a discount to carry the channels on its service. So you will save on the monthly cost, but you'll get far less channels.

20-30

That will work for you if you only watch a small amount of TV.

If you want to watch even one show that's not part of Apple's bundle, you may need to pay another $10 to add another tier. Before you know it, you'll be almost at the price of DTV for less channels. You're also not factoring in the surcharge Apple will sock you to watch local channels, plus the $100 equipment for each Apple TV. The biggest reason cable rates are so high is their programming cost is through the roof. And Apple is not getting a discount to carry the channels on its service. So you will save on the monthly cost, but you'll get far less channels.

i guess will have to see what comes out June 8. the article i cited gives the $40 number for possibly 20-30 channels including networks. from what ive heard nbc isn't playing ball and might be out, fortunately, that's the easiest to get for me on a decent inside antenna. the article also states service might start in the fall or might start june 8.

finally, apple tv allows mirroring from any apple computer or iphone or ipad. with most networks having archived shows, that's a whole bunch more available free content.

and no, i don't work for apple...but i do despise direct tv.

Edited by birdog1960

I'll never be without directv.

I'd rather be broke.