cutting the cable (or direct) tv cord

birdog1960

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so glad I don't watch that much TV. It's been priced through the roof for mainly a bunch of crap.

exactly how i feel. i think the pressure of people jumping ship may bring prices down but it'll be too little, too late.

I'm dubious about the legality of this and whether it will be around very long, but FWIW (haven't tried it):

https://bgr.com/2015/06/05/free-streaming-tv-ccloud-tv-dvr-features/

In a nutshell, cCloud TV doesn’t host any pirated content. Instead, the service points to publicly available video streams hosted elsewhere on the Internet. It’s unclear whether that explanation will satisfy the companies that own the content cCloud TV helps people stream for free, but a disclaimer detailing how the service works can now be found on the cCloud TV homepage.

As for news from the service, its lineup has grown from just over 40 channels in late May to nearly 100 at the time of this writing. The channels available through the cCloud TV site constantly change as some feeds go down and new feeds are added.

Even more interestingly though, the service’s developers have confirmed that they are working on a cloud-based DVR service that will let users schedule recordings and stream them back at any time. As exciting as this new feature sounds though, it may bring about an entirely new set of legal issues.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

• 1 month later...
This makes almost no sense. Sling has around 250,000 users and ESPN is considering pulling the deal because they are down over 3M subscribers?? I think they may be looking in the wrong place for their problems.

Oh well, I haven't watched ESPN in years because I won't pay for the cable subscription. If they pull from Sling, they lose their ad revenue from that platform as well.

On a different note, this article could be pretty important as we continue to discuss the unending increase in the NFL salary cap and how that affects continuing negotiations. I doubt it's imminent, but this could be the beginning of lower TV deals and advertising revenue.

it's been about a month since i suspended direct tv. the only time i missed it was watching the pga and missing the end of the tourney. not enough to make it worth the extra money. doing more reading, listening to and playing music and watching hbo and recently released movies (which still adds up to way less than direct tv costs). but, i've got to make the call to turn back on direct tv for the nfl and negotiate what i'll pay for direct ticket. interested to see how that plays out. btw, HBO now works great on apple tv. if anyone can break through the cable monopoly, i'd put my money on apple.

I've actually gone old school a bit. I've been watching a lot of MeTV and Decades. Something about actually having to turn on the TV on the hour and on the half hour to get the full show and actually having to mute commercials. :lol:

I've actually gone old school a bit. I've been watching a lot of MeTV and Decades. Something about actually having to turn on the TV on the hour and on the half hour to get the full show and actually having to mute commercials. :lol:

MeTV starting coming OTA for me and then I lost it. Welcome Back Cotter was cracking me up.