Which of the seven new NFL head coaches was the best hire?

patfitz

I found it as kind of a back handed ranking. The Bills are more talented than all of those teams except for Denver & SF and they may very well be better than the Broncos. The guy acts like it was such a tough sell. The Bills have a ton of talent and are on the way up.

He meant just QB, which he's right, it's a hard sell. And it is a tough division.

Too early to tell.

But I'm good with that.

In terms of which direction the team is headed....

of the 7 listed other than SF I'd say the Bills should be 1 or 2. Too many distractions in the other Org's

He meant just QB, which he's right, it's a hard sell. And it is a tough division.

Is it though? The division has the Patriots, a mediocre Miami team and a bad Jets team. They won 9 games with Kyle Orton (I think that he is better than what they currently have for sure). They certainly have a QB plan though; the guy is just not yet on the roster. Who has a brighter future: the Bills, Raiders, Bears, Broncos (including them here), Falcons or Jets? Outside of SF, the Bills appear to be a team heading in the right direction that could easily win 11 games next year (in a bad conference). You cannot say that for any of those other teams. The Bills need to catch up with the Patriots but they are not far from the rest of the top of the AFC. That conference is garbage at the moment.

I expect most Bills fans to agree with you . Much like when Marrone was hired, "the Bills swooped in and got the one everyone else wanted" was the perception by most here. We will know in about 3 years.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I found it as kind of a back handed ranking. The Bills are more talented than all of those teams except for Denver & SF and they may very well be better than the Broncos. The guy acts like it was such a tough sell. The Bills have a ton of talent and are on the way up.

I see what youre saying.....

I'm sure Buffalo was barely on Ryan's radar based on what he has seen over the years and reputation...

However speaking with Pegulas and management, he seemed to drop all other possibilities and buy into this franchise. To me that is a great sign that this happened and that he went on a buying spree of coordinators. The fact that the sale happened and they didnt need to provide him ownership stakes or a GM title, makes this very encouraging for me.

IMO Ryan was the best hire and its not close. I said it in Week 5 and I say it now. This man was put on this Earth to coach this team and bring a championship here.

exactly. Whoever got the Bills job with new ownership and $$$$$$ and talent was going to be stepping into a good thing. Rex has a small window to win big, watch out if these guys find a top 15 QB and hang on to the majority of their FAs. Watch out. Go bills.

Some thoughts on this

- The success of a head coach has SOOO much more then just his own talent that determines his success.....not only must he be outstanding but he also must know how to bring in the RIGHT DC and OC's who know how to work well with him AND the people under them that are the positional coaches

- Then you have the GM factor....is the GM giving you the talent that you are asking for and need in order to make what you are trying to do work

- Then there is the owner factor.....is the owner going to say "work that salary cap in a way that gets us what we actually need"

I think there is value in finding "dumpster dive players" but in the end if your talented you are talented......you need the RIGHT free agents and you need to draft well....you need players that fit what you are actually trying to do

For instance.....if we are going to run a "run heavy" offense then you better damn well running backs that are north south runners...you need offensive linemen that actually carry out their assignments....you need wide receivers that are willing blockers down field....and you need RESERVE PLAYERS so that what you are trying to do does not fall apart when a back goes in. You see we are very talented on defense....but one of the key things that makes our D go is you have guys that can play multiple spots.....and guys that you can rotate in and there is not this big drop off in play. It is VITAL to a team because it is a long season.

I feel like we are off to a good start.....lets see how it plays out.

HBW, just speaking my mind, friends, I never posted anything on this site, to impress or make friends, just posting what I think, friends on this site, is about as possible as me changing my mind about what's his name new HC, must be you haven't read the nasty posts directed at me, friends would be the last thing anyone would say about me or my posts, still stand my what I have said, and will continue to say, Bills recent HC hire was the worst of all HC hires