Kyle Orton and the Read Option: A missed opportunity

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyle Orton reminds me of this movie i saw awhile ago. I cant remember the name, or who was in it. Or the plot, but it was about this guy, who was trying to do sonething, and i think the guy had brown hair.... Can anyone help me out? You know the movie in talkin about?

Yes!!! What was the name of that movie? I cant remember but he failed at the end and the only guy that believed in him quit.....Based on a true story!

. . . To the OP, do you remember the play where Orton slid three yards short of the first down mark as he wanted nothing to do with getting hit. To have a read option, you have to at least a minority of times be willing to run as well as a QB for it to work, so there is that threat.

Do you remember the famous video highlight of Dan Marino faking a spike at the line of scrimmage and then throwing a touchdown pass right in the face of defenders who had relaxed thinking the play was over?

Do you think that play would have worked if he hadn't actually spiked the ball on earlier plays?

C'mon man - - think a little. The Orton "slide" play that everybody here complains about wasn't even on the last drive of the game.

Do you remember the famous video highlight of Dan Marino faking a spike at the line of scrimmage and then throwing a touchdown pass right in the face of defenders who had relaxed thinking the play was over?

Do you think that play would have worked if he hadn't actually spiked the ball on earlier plays?

C'mon man - - think a little. The Orton "slide" play that everybody here complains about wasn't even on the last drive of the game.

This. Kyle Orton is known for two things: having well rested legs and a brain that won't quit. His intentional choice to slide a bit early on one play was a strategic "rope a dope" to soften the defense for the end of the game....once again, Marrone didn't put him in a position to utilize his God given skills at the end of the game. Unbelievable.

that isn't Kevin Bacon.

Speaking of....... Kyle Orton was on the Dallas Cowboys with Tony Romo, Romo used to date Jessica Simpson, Jessica Simpson was in a video with Julie Vargas, Julie Vargas is the niece of Kevin Costner, and Kevin Costner was in "JFK" with Kevin Bacon.

So, as you know, everything does come back to Kyle Orton.

What you naysayers fail to comprehend is with a beefy O-line, reliable back field blocking and Kyle's ability to evade hard hits to his body, he could have potentially constituted a gameplanning nightmare for defensive coordinators. Doug Marrone was too bullheaded to see this and I'm sure KO wanted to call his own number in the huddle. #legendcutshort. #russwilsonwho

Hindsight's 20/20, my friend.

What you naysayers fail to comprehend is with a beefy O-line, reliable back field blocking and Kyle's ability to evade hard hits to his body, he could have potentially constituted a gameplanning nightmare for defensive coordinators. Doug Marrone was too bullheaded to see this and I'm sure KO wanted to call his own number in the huddle. #legendcutshort. #russwilsonwho

By sliding a yard short on 3rd down?

Didn't kyle Orton rush for almost 1000 yards as a RUNNING BACK his senior year of high school? I thought I read that when I was doing my version 8 2005 mock draft.

More evidence of Marrone's misuse of talent. (Mojo 44-- don't even try to dispute this).

+1000

If people would just stop and consider: Kyle was curled up in his recliner from Feb. 2014 - August 2014. He answered our call for help and assured St. Doug he would be back in high school "ground and pound" shape before training camp 2015. When Marrone and Hackett met with him to explain they wouldn't rely on his legs (or his brain) to run the read option next season, our entire team collapsed. Marrone had no choice but to resign. Most every other team knew Marrone screwed up by denying Orton the opportunity to run the read option...that's why he didn't get a head coaching gig (or an OC job). I've been checking Twitter for Orton's workout schedule and will update the thread when he makes it public.

• 1 month later...

He was born to run the read option, but Marrone & Buddy Hackett stifled his creative flow. This left him thinking instead of reacting, which flustered him so much that he'd just curl up in a ball and go full-fetal.

I can guarantee one thing. In between walks on the beach, playing pitch with his buddies and bowling in the Husband Wife Tournament at the Four Pins Bowlarama with his wife, he is spending considerable time doing pilates, running sprints with parachute resistance and drinking kale shakes. I think I read somewhere that he is producing his own 3 disc DVD instructional series called "Running Through the Steps: How to perfect the Read Option". You may laugh but Kyle will rear his head again this summer just in time to offer some lucky team the opportunity to find a diamond in the rough.

I am glad someone bumped this thread.

Per Schefter:

"Kyle Orton working on cone drills with Art Briles and RG3. Look for a comeback opportunity, maybe as mentor to RG3 in DC."

The naysayers will laugh and smirk at him, but when he reads our over zealous run D next year and keeps it for a 17 yard gain, we'll all be scratching our heads. Keep us posted on more tweets or instructional DVD's.

The naysayers will laugh and smirk at him, but when he reads our over zealous run D next year and keeps it for a 17 yard gain, we'll all be scratching our heads. Keep us posted on more tweets or instructional DVD's.

I have a tickler on my calendar for Nov 1st to post this:

"I said Orton was an exceptional read-option QB 6 months ago, and got slammed for it."

Then, i am going to go all NDCUSEBILLSFAN on this place.

It's clear that he's no Jameis Winston.