Kyle Orton and the Read Option: A missed opportunity

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude smoke another. I really hope your kidding. But if your not God help you. To run a read option the QB must be mobile

Not true. The beauty of the read option is that you don't need a mobile QB. The architect of that offense at Texas Tech actually used a QB who ran a 5.8 40. The guy rushed for 1500 yards. Orton runs a 5.2.

Not true. The beauty of the read option is that you don't need a mobile QB. The architect of that offense at Texas Tech actually used a QB who ran a 5.8 40. The guy rushed for 1500 yards. Orton runs a 5.2.

Did that guy wear a skirt?

Doesn't the guy have to be willing to run to gain 1500 yards?

Did you even watch a game?? How many times did we see Marrone & Hackett call Spiller up the middle for one yd?? It is that brand of bullheaded playcalling that neglected to consider the God given talents of our field general with two very healthy and rested legs. The potential was there and Doug wasted the opportunity. Orton's legs were worth another three TD's...and a trip to the playoffs.

Our offense would have flourished with Kyle playing a read option style offense. Great blocking by Freddie. Chandler in the flat. Sammy open if needed. Kyle would have stayed here if the coaches let him run it. #highmotor #fastlegsquickbrain

nice try :lol:

What you naysayers fail to comprehend is with a beefy O-line, reliable back field blocking and Kyle's ability to evade hard hits to his body, he could have potentially constituted a gameplanning nightmare for defensive coordinators. Doug Marrone was too bullheaded to see this and I'm sure KO wanted to call his own number in the huddle. #legendcutshort. #russwilsonwho

man you are really working this good, (bravo emoticon)

He's a lot like Magic Johnson in that respect...more of an assist man. Still, I think that was pounded into his head by Marrone. If he had kept it more, ohhhhh boy.

:worthy:

Did you even watch a game?? How many times did we see Marrone & Hackett call Spiller up the middle for one yd?? It is that brand of bullheaded playcalling that neglected to consider the God given talents of our field general with two very healthy and rested legs. The potential was there and Doug wasted the opportunity. Orton's legs were worth another three TD's...and a trip to the playoffs.

Welcome back Crayonz!!!

my finger is hovering...is it "thread gone awry" or "misleading title" or "duplicate thread" or "fergy done it again?" So many options, so little time.

Wait until after the Superbowl...when you watch Russ Wilson, pay close attention to his uniform. You'll see a small #18 on his uniform somewhere (usually handwritten in Sharpie on his jersey). It's Wilson's tribute to a veteran who inspired his gameplay. Yes, THAT #18 and we let him walk.

This reminds me of that scene from Animal House with Kevin Bacon

"REMAIN CALM, ALL IS WELL!"

To the OP, do you remember the play where Orton slid three yards short of the first down mark as he wanted nothing to do with getting hit. To have a read option, you have to at least a minority of times be willing to run as well as a QB for it to work, so there is that threat.

This reminds me of that scene from Animal House with Kevin Bacon

"REMAIN CALM, ALL IS WELL!"

To the OP, do you remember the play where Orton slid three yards short of the first down mark as he wanted nothing to do with getting hit. To have a read option, you have to at least a minority of times be willing to run as well as a QB for it to work, so there is that threat.

kevin bacon did not appear in animal house.

Kyle Orton reminds me of this movie i saw awhile ago. I cant remember the name, or who was in it. Or the plot, but it was about this guy, who was trying to do sonething, and i think the guy had brown hair.... Can anyone help me out? You know the movie in talkin about?

Our offense would have flourished with Kyle playing a read option style offense. Great blocking by Freddie. Chandler in the flat. Sammy open if needed. Kyle would have stayed here if the coaches let him run it. #highmotor #fastlegsquickbrain

If nothing else, you have a hell of a sense of humor :lol: