FA QB Chase Daniel

Matt Moore QB 30 MIA TBD $5,500,000 UFA Jake Locker QB 26 TEN TBD $4,004,637 UFA Kyle Orton QB 32 BUF TBD $4,000,000 UFA Michael Vick QB 34 NYJ TBD $4,000,000 UFA Matt Hasselbeck QB 39 IND TBD $3,750,000 UFA Christian Ponder QB 26 MIN TBD $3,232,313 UFA Mark Sanchez QB 28 PHI TBD $2,250,000 UFA Blaine Gabbert QB 25 SF TBD $2,011,587 UFA Shaun Hill QB 35 STL TBD $1,750,000 UFA Jason Campbell QB 33 CIN TBD $1,500,000 UFA Tarvaris Jackson QB 31 SEA TBD $1,250,000 UFA Brian Hoyer QB 29 CLE TBD $1,250,000 UFA Matt Flynn QB 29 GB TBD $1,078,750 UFA Ryan Mallett QB 26 HOU TBD $776,976 UFA Tyrod Taylor QB 25 BAL TBD $671,327 UFA T.J. Yates QB 27 ATL TBD $645,000 UFA Scott Tolzien QB 27 GB TBD $645,000 UFA Jimmy Clausen QB 27 CHI TBD $645,000 UFA Joe Webb QB 28 CAR TBD $635,000 UFA Dan Orlovsky QB 31 DET TBD $635,000 UFA Luke McCown QB 33 NO TBD $635,000 UFA Colt McCoy QB 28 WAS TBD $635,000 UFA Kellen Moore QB 25 DET TBD $576,668 RFA Austin Davis QB 25 STL TBD $570,000 RFA Josh Johnson QB 28 SF TBD $335,294 UFA Matt Simms QB 26 NYJ TBD $262,058 RFA Ryan Lindley QB 25 ARI TBD $234,706 UFA Jordan Palmer QB 30 TEN TBD $67,058 UFA Case Keenum QB 26 HOU TBD $58,235 UFA Tyler Thigpen QB 30 CLE TBD $33,529 UFA Kyle Newhall-Caballero QB 26 OAK TBD - RFA G.J. Kinnie QB NYJ TBD - RFA Tyler Hansen QB 25 CIN TBD - RFA Chester Stewart QB 26 BAL TBD - RFA

These are the FA QBs and the cap hit numbers.

Jason Campbell was the QB for the Browns when Josh Gordon went nuts in 2013. I don't know what he does to wear out his welcome in so many places. 5 teams in 9 years, 4 teams in last 4. He's 33 now though.

I missed that the Chiefs signed Terrelle Pryor. Too bad. I would've liked to see Roman try to turn him into a Kaepernick.

As for Chase Daniel: well, nobody on that list of free agent QBs is going to excite anyone, but I think there's more upside there than with a Matt Moore, who is precisely Kyle Orton 2.0.

"Chase" is not a QB name.

Re-sign Tank Carder and see if he can throw the ball.

I remember when Chase Daniel was competing with Chase Patton to be the starting Missouri QB. That's when it became 100% clear to me that something went horribly wrong with American baby name conventions in the 1980s. Said by a child of the early 1960s with an old school name. George Carlin said it best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxqCGTkV5wg

Not trying to be a jerk but how many times have you seen him play? You seem to be totally against him and I am just wondering what I am missing? I don't love him but he's in the Hoyer tier to me. Who are the guys that you prefer?

Which better QB(s) would you prefer that are available to sign?

Kyle Orton is like Joe Montana compared to Chase Daniel. We need someone who has at least been the guy somewhere and has some experience. No more career backups please. We deserve better.

I fully expect them to make a splash and go out and get someone like a Foles or Bradford. If not then Sanchez or Locker or maybe Ponder are the next level down and could compete with EJ and bring some experience to the table to fill that veteran role. Additionally, grab Petty or maybe Grayson (or both) in the draft.

I missed that the Chiefs signed Terrelle Pryor. Too bad. I would've liked to see Roman try to turn him into a Kaepernick.

As for Chase Daniel: well, nobody on that list of free agent QBs is going to excite anyone, but I think there's more upside there than with a Matt Moore, who is precisely Kyle Orton 2.0.

Encore un foit gentlemen...we have noted that Chase Daniel is NOT on that list of FA QBs, yes? That isn't an omission, it's because....he's not a FA

It is possible that the Chiefs might cut him, it is possible that the Chiefs might trade him, but at the moment, he plays (or sits on the bench) for the Chiefs.

Kyle Orton is like Joe Montana compared to Chase Daniel. We need someone who has at least been the guy somewhere and has some experience. No more career backups please. We deserve better.

I fully expect them to make a splash and go out and get someone like a Foles or Bradford. If not then Sanchez or Locker or maybe Ponder are the next level down and could compete with EJ and bring some experience to the table to fill that veteran role. Additionally, grab Petty or maybe Grayson (or both) in the draft.

I'm a little bit puzzled here.

First you say that we need someone who has some experience. OK, I can see that. Except that most of the guys who have experience and are really good, aren't going anywhere.

Then you say "no more career backups please" - well, the guys with experience who are available tend to have "career backup" type numbers. And that includes Sanchez, Locker, and Ponder.

So what is it exactly, that you want (except maybe to have the Bills trade Dareus and our 2nd round pick for Bradford and his $$$ salary and his fragile knees)?

I guess this is where there is some disagreement. I've seen that Ponder can't play. Daniels hasn't had much of an opportunity but has been good in those limited chances. I'd rather take a chance on a guy that may or may not be able to play than a guy like Ponder or Sanchez that has proven time and time again that they cannot.

I guess this is where there is some disagreement. I've seen that Ponder can't play. Daniels hasn't had much of an opportunity but has been good in those limited chances. I'd rather take a chance on a guy that may or may not be able to play than a guy like Ponder or Sanchez that has proven time and time again that they cannot.

Understood but these guys fill a role as veterans with a lot of playing experience. We need someone on the team that knows what they are doing to guide the young players. Then we have EJ who it seems they want to give one more shot to. Then you have the rookie (or rookies) they bring in. Taking a chance with someone like Daniels would be too risky in case EJ or the rookie don't pan out. The guys I mentioned might be mediocre but at least you know what you are getting

Understood but these guys fill a role as veterans with a lot of playing experience. We need someone on the team that knows what they are doing to guide the young players. Then we have EJ who it seems they want to give one more shot to. Then you have the rookie (or rookies) they bring in. Taking a chance with someone like Daniels would be too risky in case EJ or the rookie don't pan out. The guys I mentioned might be mediocre but at least you know what you are getting

Fair enough, I'll buy that.

You seem to be the voice of reason around here these days. There's very few of us anymore. Why can't people just say, "hey I'd be shocked if he's good, I'm skeptical, etc." rather than "no he sucks?" WE DON'T KNOW IF HE'S GOOD OR NOT. He probably isn't good but mark brunell and matt hasselbeck probably weren't gonna be good either. It's an identical situation. It usually doesn't work but neither does EJ manuel which we've seen play out with losman and edwards. Maybe daniel would at least look good in practice. Edited by metzelaars_lives

Fair enough. In an earlier post, you said "no more career backups". I agree, Ponder and Locker and Sanchez are veterans - but aren't they all veterans with career backup type numbers - as you say - mediocre? Aren't you, in fact, in wanting a veteran with a lot of playing experience, lobbying for a career backup to guide the young players?

There is this to consider: Ponder, Locker, and Sanchez are veterans, true, but veterans of pretty bad teams. Chase Daniel has been the backup, but the backup to Drew Brees and Alex Smith (who went to the Conf with '9ers). Teams he's been on have gone to the playoffs 4 of his 5 years in the league and just missed this year. So he should know the level of preparation that a playoff or championship caliber QB needs to put in.

Now I'm not lobbying for Chase - I think he's a dark horse and a long shot. I just want to make the point that possibly the young guys could benefit more from a backup who may have learned the effort that a championship or playoff contending QB has to put in, than a veteran QB who may have spent his years in the league putting in less effort. And to be kept around as the backup in NO and signed to a contract that escalates to millions - someone must see something in the guy.

The good news is that our OL coach should have had a ringside seat to know what he does or doesn't have.

Fair enough. In an earlier post, you said "no more career backups". I agree, Ponder and Locker and Sanchez are veterans - but aren't they all veterans with career backup type numbers - as you say - mediocre? Aren't you, in fact, in wanting a veteran with a lot of playing experience, lobbying for a career backup to guide the young players?

There is this to consider: Ponder, Locker, and Sanchez are veterans, true, but veterans of pretty bad teams. Chase Daniel has been the backup, but the backup to Drew Brees and Alex Smith (who went to the Conf with '9ers). Teams he's been on have gone to the playoffs 4 of his 5 years in the league and just missed this year. So he should know the level of preparation that a playoff or championship caliber QB needs to put in.

Now I'm not lobbying for Chase - I think he's a dark horse and a long shot. I just want to make the point that possibly the young guys could benefit more from a backup who may have learned the effort that a championship or playoff contending QB has to put in, than a veteran QB who may have spent his years in the league putting in less effort. And to be kept around as the backup in NO and signed to a contract that escalates to millions - someone must see something in the guy.

The good news is that our OL coach should have had a ringside seat to know what he does or doesn't have.

The guys I mentioned were all day 1 starters since entering the league and have a lot of playing experience. They might be mediocre in terms of stats so far but they bring a veteran leadership to the quarterback room that we need. They are all first round draft picks so they have been "the guy" and they can teach EJ or whatever rookie we get how to be a pro. Maybe Daniels might end up being good but he might also be terrible. At least you know what you are getting with these other guys. Someone like Chase Daniels might be someone we would take a chance on if we still had Orton to fall back on but I don't think it's a good idea given the lack of experience we have on this team at qb

5 years veteran who backed up Drew Brees and Alex Smith. Got to learn the ins and outs of both Sean Payton and Andy Reids offenses. Limited in game experience.

Played week 17 verses the chargers and went 16/27 for 157 in a win. In 2013 started 1 game going 20/30 for 200 yds 1 TD.

Good mobility. Limited arm talent, more of a game manager type. Never has been given the starting job and should be looking for one on the open market if he takes himeslf seriously (What competitor doesnt want a shot after 5 years). Could come as a cheap option for competition for EJ. Thoughts?

No

The guys I mentioned were all day 1 starters since entering the league and have a lot of playing experience. They might be mediocre in terms of stats so far but they bring a veteran leadership to the quarterback room that we need. They are all first round draft picks so they have been "the guy" and they can teach EJ or whatever rookie we get how to be a pro. Maybe Daniels might end up being good but he might also be terrible. At least you know what you are getting with these other guys. Someone like Chase Daniels might be someone we would take a chance on if we still had Orton to fall back on but I don't think it's a good idea given the lack of experience we have on this team at qb

kdiggz, no argument at all that these guys were first round picks and have lots of experience, or that we know what we're getting (a mediocre QB). My point is that these guys aren't just mediocre in terms of stats - they are mediocre in terms of the teams they played on and the results those teams achieved. They also have similar # of passes as several guys who have started a season or more (Moore, Fitzpatrick) ie their on-field experience is similar to some guys regarded as career backups. (Locker, btw, started 0 games his rookie year and Ponder came in game 6, so neither were technically Day 1 starters, but those are nits)

The questions I raise for your consideration is: what, intrinsically, about the experience of being a #1 draft pick and the starter on a mediocre or bad team, is superior to having an equivalent amount of game starting experience/similar demonstrated skill level on several teams? You obviously have thought about this - so what is the benefit, in your view?

I agree with you that Daniel is a dark horse. A number of former and current players on both poor and championship teams have commented that the preparation of a championship team and a losing team differ vastly - way more work and focus. My point is that I think there is value to bringing in someone who has had the experience of how a winning team prepares. It's fine to have experience, but isn't there also a risk in bringing in experience, if it's BAD experience?

Jason Campbell was the QB for the Browns when Josh Gordon went nuts in 2013. I don't know what he does to wear out his welcome in so many places. 5 teams in 9 years, 4 teams in last 4. He's 33 now though.

His production is typically lower than owners want because he's learning the offense and he's had a tough time shaking the bust label. I think he's had 8 OC's in those 9 years so he's never really had a chance to settle into a system.

kdiggz, no argument at all that these guys were first round picks and have lots of experience, or that we know what we're getting (a mediocre QB). My point is that these guys aren't just mediocre in terms of stats - they are mediocre in terms of the teams they played on and the results those teams achieved. They also have similar # of passes as several guys who have started a season or more (Moore, Fitzpatrick) ie their on-field experience is similar to some guys regarded as career backups. (Locker, btw, started 0 games his rookie year and Ponder came in game 6, so neither were technically Day 1 starters, but those are nits)

The questions I raise for your consideration is: what, intrinsically, about the experience of being a #1 draft pick and the starter on a mediocre or bad team, is superior to having an equivalent amount of game starting experience/similar demonstrated skill level on several teams? You obviously have thought about this - so what is the benefit, in your view?

I agree with you that Daniel is a dark horse. A number of former and current players on both poor and championship teams have commented that the preparation of a championship team and a losing team differ vastly - way more work and focus. My point is that I think there is value to bringing in someone who has had the experience of how a winning team prepares. It's fine to have experience, but isn't there also a risk in bringing in experience, if it's BAD experience?

I mention them as first round picks because at one point an organization thought these guys were so good that they bet their entire draft on them. Whether it be circumstance or bad luck or whatever, it didn't work out with that team. However, in the meantime they gathered a lot of experience along the way even if that experience is how not to do something. You want a guy in the QB room to show the other guys this is how it's done around the league and this is how you prepare. Plus there is plenty of tape on them so our new coordinators can sit down and figure out exactly what they want out of a QB and watch the tape to see if that guy can deliver that recipe. That's why you want a veteran on your team.

I'm not saying Chase Daniel can't be a good QB. He might be better than those guys I mentioned. Or he might be way worse. He might be completely incapable of running a team. We don't know. Is that the kind of uncertainty you want as your backup plan when EJ fails (and he will fail)?

As has been rumored, they are trying to make a splash at the QB position. I don't know what that means but I'm assuming they aren't saying omg we have to get CHASE DANIEL. I am guessing they are trying to get a Foles or Bradford and then Sanchez is the backup plan. There are rumors that Philly is trying to get to #1 to get Mariotta. It's a long shot but some kind of multi-team trade with Foles and possibly some other players as the bait would be the only way to make it happen. We'll see though

Someone else brought up Kellen Moore so I want to give that person the credit for bringing up an intriguing qb candidate who is on the Detroit roster. Attached is a link from WGR of an interview with Sam Monson of a pro site that focuses on stats. This is a 10 minute interview in which the guest makes comments about Moore at the 8:30 minute mark.

Moore was a prolific passer in college whose primary negative attribute for the pro game was a limited arm strength. That doesn't necessarily mean that it disqualified him as a prospect but it set a limit at his potential.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/101392175/129-sam-monson-of-pro-football-focus.htm