Blount asked if he orchestrated Steelers release

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember Gary Anderson, when he deliberately missed field goals for the Bills in the 1982 pre-season because he did not want to play for them?

I do, and I think there's a difference between tanking because you know you're good enough to hook on somewhere else, and tanking because you have an agreement with another team. One is being a douchebag. The other is being a douchebag AND tampering.

Pretty cut and dry...he had a wink-nod agreement with NE in place.

Let's not be naive.

Of course, it can't ever be proven, just like everything else NE does that is against the rules.

I recall reading recently about how after Spygate, Goodell wrote to the owners and expressed a personal interest in lowering the burden of proof needed to discipline rogue teams. I suspect this is a direct acknowledgement from Goodell that he's seen ample evidence (in his mind) of various actors being willing to play in the gray in the pursuit of championships.

I don't think the conspiracy has anything to do with his lack of carries with Pittsburgh. It has to do with the fact that he started acting out and then left the field before a game was over with little worry of consequences. Probably because he knew if he got cut, he'd have a job in NE.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-other-patriots-conspiracy-theory--legarrett-blount-s-scheme-to-reunite-with-bill-belichick-233502306-nfl.html

I'm sure nothing will come of it, maybe the Pats did absolutely nothing wrong. I don't believe that though.

Blount wasn't tanking it. He was pissed that he wasn't being played. That has nothing to do with NE. Tomlin decided not to play him much all season and that the walkoff was enough to cut him.

If there was a conspiracy for the pats to poach Blount after Ridley was hurt, Blount would have pulled his walkoff stunt a month sooner than he did. Why would he wait for that game?

The media are asking and Blount is denying he forced his way out of Pittsburgh so he could return to the Pats*. I mean it's not like the Pats* stash players on other teams. That would be cheating.

Hey Mister, I think you owe the whole Patriots* organization an apology!

:lol:

somebody help me understand how getting cut automatically places him back on the New England roster when he'd have to clear waivers from a bunch of other teams first.

Your agent tells teams his client won't report so don't bother claiming him.

somebody help me understand how getting cut automatically places him back on the New England roster when he'd have to clear waivers from a bunch of other teams first.

some feel he cleared waivers because of how he quit on his team and that it was orchestrated that way for that reason. No other team felt he would be a good player to sign, perhaps because of his very public display and selfish act of quitting while his team was actually winning (I think it was on MNF). There were indeed other RB-needy teams out there like SF, AZ, Indy.

Why did we get rid of him?

Chuck Knox was the resident HC at the time. He drafted Anderson.

Anderson went through TC and the preseason and did not make a single field goal during a game.

He was given tons of opportunities to do so and he went 0 for the Preseason.

Knox had no choice but to cut him and go with Nick Micke-Mayer - whom he later cut and picked up Efren Herrera.

The following year they picked up Joe Danelo.

I've never forgiven Anderson for what he did that summer.

The Bills would have won SB XXV and maybe others had he been their kicker during that part of his career.

They would have won the Hometown-Throwup game too.

Edited by Nanker

Your agent tells teams his client won't report so don't bother claiming him.

Sorry, but that feels like a stretch,

some feel he cleared waivers because of how he quit on his team and that it was orchestrated that way for that reason. No other team felt he would be a good player to sign, perhaps because of his very public display and selfish act of quitting while his team was actually winning (I think it was on MNF). There were indeed other RB-needy teams out there like SF, AZ, Indy.

So what did the Pats* gain by cutting/reclaiming him? Did they get him cheaper? If that's the case, why would he have been complicit?

Sorry, but that feels like a stretch,

So what did the Pats* gain by cutting/reclaiming him? Did they get him cheaper? If that's the case, why would he have been complicit?

The Pats* actually didn't cut him. He was a FA and was offered a pretty good contract by the Steelers, so he went there. But they did end up getting him cheaper, because he passed through waivers, the Pats* did not need to honor that contract once they signed him. The Pats* did not claim him off waivers, they waited until he passed through. However, he did see the guaranteed $ from the Steelers.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The Pats* actually didn't cut him. He was a FA and was offered a pretty good contract by the Steelers, so he went there. But they did end up getting him cheaper, because he passed through waivers, the Pats* did not need to honor that contract once they signed him. The Pats* did not claim him off waivers, they waited until he passed through. However, he did see the guaranteed $ from the Steelers.

I see what you're saying. I do. And I hate the !@#$ing Patriots*. But this has no legs.

The media are asking and Blount is denying he forced his way out of Pittsburgh so he could return to the Pats*. I mean it's not like the Pats* stash players on other teams. That would be cheating.

I'm more inclined to believe that things played out the way they did because of the emergence of LeVeon Bell, who went from being an up-and-coming young RB into an elite, MVP-caliber player. That said, once Blount realized that the Steelers weren't going to do the running back by committee thing, I can easily see him pulling the stunts that he did with the hope that he would be released and, in that case, he almost certainly had his eye on the Patriots as his next stop.

I see what you're saying. I do. And I hate the !@#$ing Patriots*. But this has no legs.

I'm not claiming it does, I was just saying it wouldn't surprise me if that is what happened. Tampering happens all the time. Nothing will come of it. There was an article from the Pittsburgh media about it right after it happened.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/11/23/On-the-Steelers-Twist-in-Blount-s-career-raises-a-suspicious-eyebrow/stories/201411230134

I'm more inclined to believe that things played out the way they did because of the emergence of LeVeon Bell, who went from being an up-and-coming young RB into an elite, MVP-caliber player. That said, once Blount realized that the Steelers weren't going to do the running back by committee thing, I can easily see him pulling the stunts that he did with the hope that he would be released and, in that case, he almost certainly had his eye on the Patriots as his next stop.

If I was a Steelers fan, I'd be pissed about how it all went down. He knew Bell was the #1RB when he signed. It wasn't like Bell just came out of nowhere this year. The Pats* use RBBC as well. The Steelers were put in a position by Blount to where they had to cut him based on what he was doing to the team (teammates were irate about his actions), and then they lose Bell to injury for the playoff game and didn't have Blount to back him up. Maybe he would have made a difference.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm not claiming it does, I was just saying it wouldn't surprise me if that is what happened. Tampering happens all the time. Nothing will come of it. There was an article from the Pittsburgh media about it right after it happened.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/11/23/On-the-Steelers-Twist-in-Blount-s-career-raises-a-suspicious-eyebrow/stories/201411230134

If I was a Steelers fan, I'd be pissed about how it all went down. He knew Bell was the #1RB when he signed. It wasn't like Bell just came out of nowhere this year. The Pats* use RBBC as well. The Steelers were put in a position by Blount to where they had to cut him based on what he was doing to the team (teammates were irate about his actions), and then they lose Bell to injury for the playoff game and didn't have Blount to back him up. Maybe he would have made a difference.

Blount also got into a fight with Joey Porter.

As is always the case in similar situations, it's never one big event, but a culmination of little things that add up.

It's starting to turn on the Pats* and there's way too much noise surrounding that franchise and so much league & media scrutiny that someone is bound to crack the veil of secrecy.

After all, when you have LeGarrette Blounts responsible for state secrets, they will eventually come out.

Based on his response when asked, I'd say it does have legs, but as mentioned above, it'll never be proven. But it's not that hard to fathom his agent saying look, I know you want out of here, you throw a public display of attitude (walking out before the game ends), and I'll drop some hints around the league not to claim him on waivers, and we will be all set.

If it had no legs why not just come out and say " no, this is absolutely ridiculous, when I was with the Steelers they were everything I played for, and I'd never have an arrangement waiting with another team. A little smile, and then a " I don't know nothing" seems pretty damn fishy

What is the conspiracy? By all accounts, Blount came to the Steelers wanting a significant number of carries (I'm sure that's what he was told he would get). He wanted to play. Tomlin didn't want to play him. He acted out in week 11 and Tomlin dumped him.

Did BB use some sort of mind trick to cause Tomlin not to play Blount nearly all season except to rarely spell Bell, thus causing him to walk off the field after a Monday night game, thus giving Tomlin a reason to cut him?

Yes, that is how I mastermind this whole board :devil: :devil: :devil: