Your thoughts on the new offensive coaching staff

BmarvB

Not a fan of the QB coach, David Lee, at all.

I don't think there was a lot there with Geno Smith to begin with, but what else can I judge someone who's title is quarterback's coach, then by the play of his quarterback?

Fitzpatrick did not look great with this guy, and a glance at this resume leads me to wonder who he's worked with that actually showed success? Don't even get me started with the wildcat.

No one can speak intelligently about any position coach.

I agree with this for the most part. I mean, even if you were able to speak intelligently, almost no important decisions are theirs to make.

I will say this though: When position coaches come in with a long resume and no success, it's hard to justify or understand what it is they bring to the table.

I agree with this for the most part. I mean, even if you were able to speak intelligently, almost no important decisions are theirs to make.

I will say this though: When position coaches come in with a long resume and no success, it's hard to justify or understand what it is they bring to the table.

If you are speakng of Mr Lee, he has ben a QB coach since 1975.

I don't think there was a lot there with Geno Smith to begin with, but what else can I judge someone who's title is quarterback's coach, then by the play of his quarterback?

Fitzpatrick did not look great with this guy, and a glance at this resume leads me to wonder who he's worked with that actually showed success? Don't even get me started with the wildcat.

I tend to agree. To my eyes, Fitzpatrick regressed significantly after Lee was hired. Not necessarily Lee's fault, but I certainly didn't see any noticeable positives. And the Jets' QB play has been undeniably horrible the last 2 years. Again, not necessarily Lee's fault, but still doesn't inspire me with confidence.

I tend to agree. To my eyes, Fitzpatrick regressed significantly after Lee was hired. Not necessarily Lee's fault, but I certainly didn't see any noticeable positives. And the Jets' QB play has been undeniably horrible the last 2 years. Again, not necessarily Lee's fault, but still doesn't inspire me with confidence.

I would judge a position coach on how well they teach a system, not how well a player produces. Only way to know if a guy is teaching a system properly would be to be in the coaching room with him.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Other than Kromer and Roman, I would say we have taken a step back. Two first year positional coaches and a truckload of Jets retreads.

I just hope Rex knows his offense sucked last year too. Why wouldn't Roman have a couple of "people" he knows on the staff.

What do we really know about Lee? Geno might have been worse with another QB coach. He might have been better. Who knows? Same with Fitz (who actually had his 2nd best passer rating and yardage totals in his one year working with Lee).

It's not hard to go back and see the QBs that Lee has worked with and how they performed. What we don't know is what Lee actually contributed, or failed to contribute. There are too many other variables to consider: OC, scheme, WRs, protection, the health & effort of the QB himself, etc.

Besides a couple short stints as OC and offensive quality control, Lee has been coaching QBs since 1975. I'm assuming he's learned a little something in all that time.

Bill Parcells once hired Lee to coach QBs for the Fins. I think Parcells may know a little something about evaluating QB coaches.

If Lee is good enough for Parcells and Rex, I'm thinking he's good enough for me.

The Jests retreads are a concern. Roman? We shall see. he had a pretty good offense and a good O-line personel wise. he also,had a QB despite this years train wreck.

In Buffalo he will not have a roster full of potential. except for the young receivers, and Fred.

Yeah, that really is a concern. I would have liked to see him reach a little outside of the Jets for some of the position coaches. I wonder how much input Roman had in the selections.

Roman and Kromer stand out. for the right reasons. I think the rest are more familiarity for Ryan. There is something to be said for trust and getting guys who can execute the plan.

But honestly enough. I have no idea how this plays out

David Lee - eh. He helped Fitz a little, but I don't think a great deal.

Aaron Kromer - hopefully he does a better job than Chicago's OL

Tony Sparano Jr. - a TE coach with no experience.

Sanjay Lal - not too impressed by how the WRs turned out in Oakland or NYJ

Bobby April III - LBs? ST assistant would make more sense given family history. How much ST experience does he really have?

RB coach - nobody yet

Reg Roman - hopefully the run game improves

Not thrilled that we have essentially two first-time position coaches (Sparano and April III...I'll ignore Smith, the ST assistant).

I hope Pepper stay's on to help with the LBs. That's a critical position to have in the hands of a kid (April III) who's only got a year of experience...