Who are the 4 starting LBs?

Beerball

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming Spikes is off the roster: 4-3 under, Kiko, Preston, Nigel. 4-3, the same. 3-3, the same. 4-2, Kiko and Nigel. 3-2, the same. I don't expect much 2-gap 3-4 unless Rex uses it on a passing down where the look is the 3-4, but a safety or 2 might also be lined up at one of the LBr spots allowing for some confusion on who is coming and who is dropping back. Rex will run the 4-3 under and some straight up 4-3, along with weird nickel alignments and a fair bit of dime if the team finds itself with a big lead late in the game.

So essentially, we'll be replacing Hughes with Spikes ???

An edge rusher and improving guy against the run, versus a run stuffer, but limited mobility LB.

The more I think about it, the personnel are more important than the scheme if it means Hughes vs. Spikes. I would stay with the 4-3. But that ship has sailed.

So essentially, we'll be replacing Hughes with Spikes ???

An edge rusher and improving guy against the run, versus a run stuffer, but limited mobility LB.

The more I think about it, the personnel are more important than the scheme if it means Hughes vs. Spikes. I would stay with the 4-3. But that ship has sailed.

Do people even understand what they are typing when they talk about us switching to a 3-4 now that we hired Rex?

Did people not watch this defense 2 years ago under Pettine?

Do people even understand what they are typing when they talk about us switching to a 3-4 now that we hired Rex?

did you not watch the defense under pettine? their base formation was a 4-3 under. EDIT: apologies- I misread the exchange above

it may have looked like a 3-4 but that's only bc the strongside lb would be at the line of scrimmage like this:

pettagram_medium.png

we went through this the past 2 years. get your best front 7 players on the field and there's no need to really worry about who is a de or who is an olb. all the fronts are more or less "hybrids" anyway.

I imagine they'd like to re-sign spikes. have mario-dareus-kyle on the line in the middle, have bradham and kiko on the edges, and spikes and brown in the middle. sub spikes in db heavy packages. i'm assuming hughes is gone.

Edited by uncle flap

they will play 4 LB sets, not sure why you're getting bunched up

In those 4 LB sets who ya got?

Related question, who are the 3 d-linemen?

I didn't know we were starting 4 LBs

They aren't. Anything with 4 LBs on the field will likely be a sub-package. 4-3 under means what it says. 4 down linemen shifted to the weak side with the 3 LBs slid over to the strong side. When Pettine would sometimes run what looked like a straight-up 3-4, he typically would have one of the reserve safeties come in and line up at one of the inside LB spots. That is one of the sub-packages that began to get Searcy involved before he merged as a good blitzer out of the nickel.