NFL Network coverage of the Hiring of Rex

They had a little chat with Rex, and at the end ran a quick straw poll among the talking heads. Will the Bills make the playoffs next year? 3 quick no's and a couple yeas.

We were 9-7 under Doug, and now we have Rex Ryan.

These people know nothing.

If Rex and his group turns us into the number one defense in the league, we will make the playoffs. I have no doubt whatsoever.

We'll sweep the Jets next year: 2 wins

At worst, we'll split with the Dolphins: 1 win, probably 2

There's a good chance we'll split with the Pats*: 0 wins, may be 1

We play the AFC South and NFC East: at worst, 4 wins, at best 6

Our flex games are against KC and Cincy, could drop both, could just as easily win both 0 wins, may be 2

That puts us, at worst 7 wins and at best 13

Anyone want to wager we won't fall inside that window?

It's the qb situation and being in the afc. If peyton retires that's one playoff spot that opens up. The nfc had 6 teams better than 9 games with nobody at 9-7. The afc had ten teams at 9-7 or better. You have to win 10 games to have a shot at the playoffs and we will need better qb play to ensure that. I think we might see the best defense in the nfl next year. Whaley knows the line needs to be addressed and the qb situation so playoffs should be the expectation.

We still play in the same division as the Patriots, so I can see why people would say we probably wont make the playoffs. Gotta knock them off before we earn respect

the LOUSY JETS lost 2 games to the Putrids by a combined 3 points with (arguably) less D talent.

with Gino Smith and Mike Vick

Rex's top priority is defeating the Putrids

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

We still play in the same division as the Patriots, so I can see why people would say we probably wont make the playoffs. Gotta knock them off before we earn respect

I agree, Playing with NE in our division practically takes away the division.( I know it's not 100% sure but it's been like that for many years ) So we're looking at a wild card spot and that limits our chances.

They had a little chat with Rex, and at the end ran a quick straw poll among the talking heads. Will the Bills make the playoffs next year? 3 quick no's and a couple yeas.

We were 9-7 under Doug, and now we have Rex Ryan.

These people know nothing.

If Rex and his group turns us into the number one defense in the league, we will make the playoffs. I have no doubt whatsoever.

so you think moving up a whopping 3 spots in the defensive rankings automatically means they make the playoffs?

it will again come down to the offense and mainly the QB whoever that may be

National media, or more appropriately, the 50 former player talking head panel shows are usually a trailing indicator. How many of those guys picked the Saints and Bears to compete for a SB this year? The flapping heads don't see the progress until its already happened and they don't see the weakness until its already manifested.

National media, or more appropriately, the 50 former player talking head panel shows are usually a trailing indicator. How many of those guys picked the Saints and Bears to compete for a SB this year? The flapping heads don't see the progress until its already happened and they don't see the weakness until its already manifested.

Great post.

/thread ender of all thread enders.

so you think moving up a whopping 3 spots in the defensive rankings automatically means they make the playoffs?

it will again come down to the offense and mainly the QB whoever that may be

As it does most years it will come down to the schedule. Look at the AFC North. Wow they got 3 teams in isn't that great. Well they played the NFC and AFC South, the 2 worst divisions in football. How about in the NFC? 2 teams from the NFC North that also got to play the NFC South. In a 16 game schedule, with the talent levels on most teams being so close, the teams you have to play have a huge effect on making the playoffs. Part of the Pats* success is due to the fact that they get 6 games every year against the Jets, Bills, and Phins. That allows them to get some easy wins and a lot of times get a first round bye.

Not to get sidetracked from my original point and go on a Pats* tangent but this article has the info...

Since the Brady-Belichick Era began in New England in 2001, the Buffalo Bills are a pathetic 83-130, never having a better record than the 9-7 mark they achieved in 2004, good for third place in the division. The Dolphins are all of 98-115 over the same timeframe, and the Jets are 105-108.

The Patriots have a 63-18 record within the AFC East since the start of the 2001 season. The Jets are 39-41 over that same period; the Dolphins, 34-48, the Bills, 27-54.

So now that Buffalo finally has a talent level at or near the rest of the league it is no surprise that they competed well this year. Next year's schedule, on paper at least, looks to be easier than this years schedule.

Depends what we do at the QB position and how our offense progress's or lack there of next year.

I'm pretty confident our defense won't lose a step though. Rex is the best defensive mind in the game.

I worry about losing Hughes. Despite what some others say, I think he would continue to do well in a Rex Ryan defense. And I worry about losing Spikes.

Is Ryan the best defensive mind in the game or Pete Carroll?

In any case, I agree the D will be very strong again next year. It will be great to have Kiko back and I think the players will buy into Rex's schemes.

I believe the O will be better next year because I think the coaches and FO will move Heaven & Earth to build up a better OL.

and that there are 3 good teams in the AFC North. If the Bills go the WC route, they have to compete with KC, SD, CIN, PIT and BAL