What are the Bills waiting for?

they are not interviewing 20-30 people- it's around 12 right now. That's a big difference. I don't see how looking for the best coach is a waste of time. By the nature of the profession it doesn't seem like a quick process. You just throw out numbers with no meaning - target 5 , maybe 10 - so maybe double the search..... 10 is ok with you , but the 12 they've interviewed is a waste of time?

In the end I suspect it will be somewhere north of 20 interviews. Who would you prefer? An inexperienced never been a head coach in the NFL or somebody with a proven NFL track record? I'll take the experienced guy for this team as I think that resume better fits now. Therefor that would eliminate inexperienced candidates and make for less interviews.

Edited by old school

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(....) At this point other choices would be for people with previous successful NFL head coaching experience. An offensive minded coach with a proven tract record of taking that team to the playoffs with an average QB. No need for a defensive minded coach because the team already has a great defensive DC.
Only two people on that list fit that description in my view. Ravens OC Gary Kubiak who managed 10-6 & 12-4 with Matt Schaub at QB. Now granted that 12-4 record was in the abysmal AFC south, and that was Andrew Lucks first year. So far the Bills haven't even requested an interview with Kubiak.

Call me crazy but I'm intrigued by Kubiak. OTOH, someone in the Texans organization stuck with Schaub a couple years too long with no steps toward a successor - shades of Fitzpatrick. If that was Kubiak's influence, only thing that gives me pause.

Kubiak has said publically he told his FO to tell everyone to go away and not bother him while he's still in the playoffs. So how do we know if the Bills have requested an interview or intend to do so? I think the only way we'd know is if the Bills side leaked it, and as you point out, they seem to be in "hush mode"

Edited by Hopeful

Did you notice, NONE of the openings have been filled yet. Think everyone is waiting until this weekends games are over. Most are likely targeting coaches still involved. Seattle losing (extremely unlikely) would mean two hirings by themselves. Denver/Indy and NE/Baltimore is going to free up two guys to get hired.

Edited by KRT88

It's possible too that it's the old domino theory from the coaches side. The Bill's job isn't a terrible job. Great defense and very good ST and receivers. QB is a big issue, but anyone who signs a contract, it's likely for 4 years (obviously with an opt out for a change in ownership) but in that period of time alot can change at QB, you have time to find that guy. While I say it's a good job, it's probably not the best. I'd rate SF, Atlanta or Chicago higher so could be none of the coaching prospects will commit as they are all hoping to get one of those first. Once the first one signs then all the dominoes start to fall fast.

I agree I don't think he's forcing EJ on anyone, but likely is stating he doesn't feel that Marrone gave EJ a very good chance so he wants a coach who will try to work with him and would have a plan to develop him, if it truly is a failure, then move on to plan B which may just be a temp thing for the remainder of 2015 then go to plan C which may be a year away yet.

On the O line prospects, I do wonder could the problem be that Marrone kept changing his mind. He'd tell Whaley, this is what I want, so Whaley gets him that type of guys, but then a month later he wants something else. At some point, you give up listening to him, that may have been when things went down hill fast between them.

I don't see why he would be. I don't buy any part of the "he's forcing EJ down the next coach's throat" line of thinking.

This is a huge information gathering opportunity for Whaley and the Pegulas. No team with a vacancy has filled it. The most desirable job is likely in Atlanta because of Ryan, but Buffalo is right there.

I don't believe for one second any coaches are shying away from the Buffalo job.

I see what you're saying, but I also see a guy in Whaley who "tried" to bring in a ton of OL help the past two seasons. It appears he went for players in the mold of what Saint Doug wanted, but obviously it hasn't worked out.

I really like Whaley -- I haven't hidden that. I believe he has a true strategic plan for how to build an organization and I have to believe that comes across to the Pegulas as well.

I would guess that its not a decision that needs to be hurried.

Guess if the BIlls find one or two they like they make the deal as sweet as possible.

Right now i think they need to keep the foot in the door so to speak with all these guys.

I might be in the minority here , but i am pretty darned impressed at how the Bills are going about this.

and as mentioned by some of the wiser folks here , Pegula is getting an education on how other NFL teams and coaches think.

Bravo !

No offense but i dont get the musical chairs thinking. Its about selling the right chair to the right coach.

This is not Ralph trying to find the bargain : )

In the end I suspect it will be somewhere north of 20 interviews. Who would you prefer? An inexperienced never been a head coach in the NFL or somebody with a proven NFL track record? I'll take the experienced guy for this team as I think that resume better fits now. Therefor that would eliminate inexperienced candidates and make for less interviews.

you are just guessing - you have no idea

Who would I prefer? I have no real preference - I only know what I read and that's not a basis to hire someone. From what I observe, I would like someone who was an OC that would keep our defensive staff intact. That seems to be a logical fit. I like what I've heard about Hue Jackson, I think he would be near the top of my list. But I'm glad the Bills are being thorough, I don't see any downside to that.

Is Whaely the issue for some candidates?

Yes, as well as the view that the pecking order above him, Russ, Kim, have a poor NFL management reputation and track record, and more to the point, that she is a novice at best.

That's why people left, and/or changed their minds about getting involved with this organization. More good people will be leaving in the coming weeks for the same reason.

A sad situation..... control freaks can't get along with other control freaks.

After all is said and done, the poor loyal Bills fans will be left with the SOS, only with new owners....THE CO-OWNERS.

Edited by fbzh2

you are just guessing - you have no idea

Who would I prefer? I have no real preference - I only know what I read and that's not a basis to hire someone. From what I observe, I would like someone who was an OC that would keep our defensive staff intact. That seems to be a logical fit. I like what I've heard about Hue Jackson, I think he would be near the top of my list. But I'm glad the Bills are being thorough, I don't see any downside to that.

And Jackson has HC experience. I'd be ok with that also. All i'm saying is I think this team right now, needs an experienced coach, not a would be rookie HC. If the Bills were in some sort of rebuild mode, kinda like when DM was hired, then sure interview everybody and find the best man for the job, OC, DC, college coach, or whoever. This team is built to win now, next year, they are primed to win 10+ games even with it's offensive struggles. Fill just a couple of offensive holes(QB being the huge hole) and this is a formidable playoff bound team.

Edited by old school

I don't think they are waiting for anything, I think they are inept. Why interview 20/30 people? It's a waste of everybody's time. This isn't a rebuild job, it's a team on the cusp of winning. That said I don't think you want an inexperienced, would be first time head coach coming in here and learning on the job. This position right now needs an experienced coach to come in and hit the ground running, like a Rex Ryan. Target 5 maybe 10 guys like that and hire somebody, this interviewing of 20/30 guys is a waste IMO. He who hesitates is lost.

They've interviewed 20 - 30 guys? Link?

I don't think they are waiting for anything, I think they are inept. Why interview 20/30 people? It's a waste of everybody's time. This isn't a rebuild job, it's a team on the cusp of winning. That said I don't think you want an inexperienced, would be first time head coach coming in here and learning on the job. This position right now needs an experienced coach to come in and hit the ground running, like a Rex Ryan. Target 5 maybe 10 guys like that and hire somebody, this interviewing of 20/30 guys is a waste IMO. He who hesitates is lost.

I completely disagree. First of all it won't be 20/30 people. More like 10. It is a thorough process and I for one am all for it. The Pegulas are taking the right approach by being patient, evaluating the options and making a logical decision. I know people want this situation resolved, but just making a decision does not make it a good and well thought out decision.

That "old school" thinking landed Doug Marrone. As pointed out, none of the spots have been filled. I'd rather they take their time and get it right for once.

Really?

Throw out BS, expect to get called on it.

Or Pegula? Or Kim? Or Russ? Or the short trainer guy?

You could ask what is every team waiting for?

Well I was going to mention the short trainer guy, but didn't want to debate it. This year IMO there are not a lot of accomplished candidates out there. yea, great the OC's with Wilson, Manning and Brady look good. I wonder why? No Chip Kelly's who like him or not. he will get his ducks in order sooner than later. Old Man Shanahan well all of a sudden with the right OC I could handle him. But Whaley would not like or want him. rex is not coming. So really there's a reason no one has signed. they're all unproven at best. except for Rex and Shanahan. Edited by Best Player Available

That "old school" thinking landed Doug Marrone. As pointed out, none of the spots have been filled. I'd rather they take their time and get it right for once.

Throw out BS, expect to get called on it.

Reading comprehension? I didn't say they have already interviewed 20/30 candidates.