An Injection of Facts Re QB recently Drafted

Nice work OP and nice discussion. I am of the mindset that we end up doing what Marv Levy said, get better around the QB. TC in STL makes good points as well. It's stupid to give away the future in picks and trades for a marginal qb. I'd rather sign Sanchez and get some decent coaches in here. There is better talent on our O than we showed this season.

Edited by Green Lightning

None of those guys intrigue me, or at least EJM intrigues me more. I doubt any of them will "hold the place" for an eventual successor any better than EJM would. They have to bring in a veteran, and will probably draft someone too, but like I said, for at least this next season, I fully expect EJM to be the starter.

EJ intrigues me more too. We need to bring in a vet, and I would like to see them bring in the best available hired gun they can buy, providing he's a good guy and willing to mentor/not a douche.

I think the thing the Bills have historically done wrong, is to be all like "OK we got our guy (Johnson, Losman, Edwards, Fitzpatrick)"and not spend reasonable resources looking for competitive backups/alternatives with mid-round draft picks every couple of years. Levi Brown with a 7th round pick was not a competitive alternative! So frankly, even while I think the "book is not closed" on EJ, I would really like to see them use a mid-round draft pick on a QB IF there is someone they like who falls - a Mallet/Wilson/Foles/Kaepernick kind of guy.

As we all know the pickings are slim, but that's why Whaley and the next HC make the big bucks.

Maybe we try to pry Bradford out of StL. Sanchez is a FA maybe he'd like a chance at starting. Pick another FA and sign both. Draft the best available in the 2nd or 3rd and take a flyer on someone in the 7th. The Bills just can't go into another season with the only option EJ. He already failed once, not entirely his fault most likely, and the players don't appear to have any faith in him. The players lack of faith in him may be the biggest reason that the Bills have to find someone else. The Bills have a defense that is ready for the playoffs now. 2014 was a wasted year for that defense. The belief going into the season that EJ would be ready was a huge miscalculation by Whaley. If he ties the 2015 season to EJ again and EJ fails, Whaley should be gone. You can't make the same mistake twice in two years.

You are making my point. Getting paid the big bucks doesn't mean you can find talent that isn't there.

None of the names you mention are any more certain to be an improvement over Orton. They could even be worse. Plus no one you can get will amount to jack squat if we don't fix the O-line.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The Bills traded down to draft EJ.

The plan was for him to sit behind the veteran Kolb and learn.

Kolb got injured and EJ was thrust into action as a rookie despite himself being injured for most of his rookie preseason.

He was injured two more times during his rookie season.

And as far as we know he's had poor coaching in Buffalo.

It would be premature to write-off EJ.

This.

I think the Bills QB situation in training camp will resemble their head coaching search. We will be dizzy with all the QBs in camp from all over the place. Incumbents, free agents, a trade guy, a rookie and probably for good measure, a CFL guy.

Yeah it seems to me at this point the best option would be going after Mark Sanchez and giving him an opportunity to compete for the starting job. If he loses we have an nice backup QB who can come in and win some games. Then I would also look to draft a QB in the mid to late rounds to compete with Tuel. Gotta keep searching for a QB and hope we get lucky.

Maybe it's "misery loves company" :P but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks Sanchez might be the best option of a thin FA crop (based on the idea that he can produce in B'lo as he did for the Iggles). I was anticipating the tar, feathers, rope, and rails for my suggestion (which might still occur I guess :devil: )

Maybe it's "misery loves company" :P but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks Sanchez might be the best option of a thin FA crop (based on the idea that he can produce in B'lo as he did for the Iggles). I was anticipating the tar, feathers, rope, and rails for my suggestion (which might still occur I guess :devil: )

I am not opposed to bringing Sanchez in to compete, but look at how he finished the year for Philly. He started hot and then defenses remembered - oh yeah THAT Mark Sanchez and he reverted to his usual form. Yes, he was marginally better than EJ was this year, but remember Sanchez was in his 6th year with 71 starts AND Chip Kelly coaching compared to EJ's 14 starts under this staff.

You are making my point. Getting paid the big bucks doesn't mean you can find talent that isn't there.

None of the names you mention are any more certain to be an improvement over Orton. They could even be worse. Plus no one you can get will amount to jack squat if we don't fix the O-line.

Whaley and the new HC are paid to find players and put them in positions to win. They need to find a QB that they believe they can design an offense for that won't keep them from getting to the playoffs. To go into next season with EJ and Tuel and a draft choice as the QB group and have them fail, should be considered career suicide for Whaley. He will have done it twice with the same QB. <Insert the name of your favorite FA, draftee, trade acquisition QB here> may not be better in the long run, but they have to try.

Agreed improving the OLine is priority 1a, right after QB.

Edited by respk

Here's what depresses me -- I can actually delude myself into getting a little excited about the prospect of Mark Sanchez at QB (I say "a little" because I mean "at this point in their careers, he's better than Orton", which is faint praise indeed). But look at the number of teams in precisely the same situation as the Bills, and they'll all be scrambling to sign a QB from the same crappy pool:

Houston: who QBs them? Aren't they our mirror image?

St. Louis: they're probably stuck with Bradford, but what if he's not ready, or gets hurt again? And aren't they also our mirror image?

Arizona: obviously they're going to have to do something to prepare for Palmer not being back. And they're actually more Bills-like than the Bills without him.

So I think the best bet is roll the dice, hope the Bears go into full rebuild mode, trade for Cutler. If it blows up on you, he's off the books after 2016 and we're probably picking in the top 5. Next best bet: get a Mike Glennon (who looked better to me than EJ, although certainly no sure thing) to see if he can grab the job. Desperation move: sign Matt Moore for more money than he's worth, watch Chad Henne-type performance.

This is just an awful time to be a team looking for a QB ...