Resume Writing services

Has anyone ever used these services? I'm always a bit wary to spend money on a service that I know little about.

Are there any really good ones? Are they worth the money?

Thanks

I looked around the web for a bunch of examples. LinkedIn profiles have "resume" formatted profiles. Most job sites when you create a page have forms that also help you create a resume.

I've had companies that offered "paid help" after being laid off and none of them met my goals of creating a decent resume or getting in contact with companies in general.

Good Luck

Check your local library. Some offer free online or offline job assistance services.

Otherwise, the best resume review is usually someone you know who is successful in your field.

I've been in HR for 25 years, the above is excellent advice.

Also, people make the mistake of believing they should only have one resume. If you are in a very active job search you will probably have two or three, each a bit tailored to address nuances in your search. You may even write the resume specifically for an individual job opening. Having said this, don't construe the comment as being suggestive of putting misleading information or worse, lies, on your resume. If you do this you will likely get burned.

Keep in mind your resume is basically a door opener. Spend more time practicing responses to interview questions that you will face. This is to include responding to the inevitable tough questions that will probe weaknesses in your experience or job history. Everybody has them so don't lie and don't be defensive about it. A brief but confident response will do wonders for you. It is helpful to record yourself on video doing the practice. Have a friend or family member be the interviewer. Pay attention to things that you can and will want to change. BTW while it sounds hokey, even practice walking in making your introduction and start to the interview. There is a ton of research out that shows these first few moments make or break most interviews.

My last bit of advice is to dress in accordance with the style of the organization but always a rung or two better (I.e. Even if it's a jeans and shirt kind of place I would wear very nice jeans a plainly colored t-shirt but with a coordinated sport coat). If you are not sure wear a good suit and tie. You can remove the tie if you need to dress it down a bit. Look put together and confident. This will help you greatly.

I was given a 30-day term with Lee Hecht Harrison, which is more of a placement service. But the one thing they did for me that was beneficial was to write a new, updated resume for me. I know you can reach them online.