Perry Fewell fired (Giants Def Coord)

Stevie Ray

Fair point re blocking/denying. My concern is the longer the search goes on for the HC, would they (morally) deny/block a request for any assistant who is in "limbo" (even if they are under contract)? i just hope a decsion is made soon so that we can keep at least the Def coaching staff intact, as long as the new HC decides to keep them.

Bills can block lateral moves, they can't block promotions.

I think Pepper would get a look for sure... But the Bills would need to allow him to interview. They could deny it. Especially if Schwartz is in line for HC and wants to make pepper his DC.

Only can't block a promotion if it is for a HC job.

The bolded is correct. The Giants have to ask for permission to interview Pepper for the DC job but we do not have to grant it, although it is unlikely we would deny the request. We’d more than likely talk to Pepper to let him know what our plan with him is and leave it up to him to decide whether or not he wanted to take the interview. If we flat out denied the Giants request, it could be interpreted as we're holding him back and that would make us look bad in the eyes of potential assistants down the road. If anyone wanted to interview Pepper for a HC job, no permission is needed.

As for Fewell, no thanks. The Giants defense has not been anything special since he’s been there. Plus, I would really like for us to hire an offensive minded coach and keep Schwartz as the DC.

This is considered a lateral move by the NFL. The NFL seems to consider there being only 2 positions, HC and everyone else.

"An NFL team cannot interview an assistant coach who is under contract as an assistant with another team for the following season without the permission of his current organization. Teams will usually give permission upon request, particularly if a lower level coach is set to take an offensive or defensive coordinator position elsewhere, but the current team is not required to give permission."

Edited by CodeMonkey

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/12131798/perry-fewell-new-york-giants-defensive-coordinator

interesting to see what if any impact this could have on the Bills coaching staff, particulary the possibility of Pepper Johnson, former Giants D-lineman, getting a shot at a DC role.

Have to give Giants HC Tom Coughlin much respect for his patience w/Fewell's inability to stifle the NFC opposition. Good luck to Perry, and hopefully he'll be granted another chance someday, but allowing the numbers put up on the scoreboard like he did doesn't equate into job security. No team can fully compete in this league with a suspect defense. Perhaps the bleeding will stop with their incoming DC.

The bolded is correct. The Giants have to ask for permission to interview Pepper for the DC job but we do not have to grant it, although it is unlikely we would deny the request. We’d more than likely talk to Pepper to let him know what our plan with him is and leave it up to him to decide whether or not he wanted to take the interview. If we flat out denied the Giants request, it could be interpreted as we're holding him back and that would make us look bad in the eyes of potential assistants down the road. If anyone wanted to interview Pepper for a HC job, no permission is needed.

As for Fewell, no thanks. The Giants defense has not been anything special since he’s been there. Plus, I would really like for us to hire an offensive minded coach and keep Schwartz as the DC.

I was going to post this exactly. It may actually force the Bills to make a decision on Schwartz soon because if he wants Pepper as DC, they can tell him that is why they are denying it. If he wants Henderson, they may tell him go ahead. If Schwartz isn't the HC, I can see them telling him to go ahead. Timing is critical.

I have heard that Mike Nolan and Spagnola are both expected to be contacted by the Giants.

Edited by YoloinOhio

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/12131798/perry-fewell-new-york-giants-defensive-coordinator

interesting to see what if any impact this could have on the Bills coaching staff, particulary the possibility of Pepper Johnson, former Giants D-lineman, getting a shot at a DC role.

he'll probably be no better than last time he served as the interim head coach and defensive coordinator of the Bills.

FTR the Giants sucked this year

This is considered a lateral move by the NFL. The NFL seems to consider there being only 2 positions, HC and everyone else.

"An NFL team cannot interview an assistant coach who is under contract as an assistant with another team for the following season without the permission of his current organization. Teams will usually give permission upon request, particularly if a lower level coach is set to take an offensive or defensive coordinator position elsewhere, but the current team is not required to give permission."

That's just wrong. I think the coordinator positions are another level and should be recognized as such.