Head Coach Candidate: Darrell Bevell

LA Grant

Russell Wilson has always been an accurate passer with tremendous feel for the game. EJ has shown none of those qualities. Don't get too excited.

I agree. Bills fans should not get too pumped up that Bevell is going to come here and re create the Russell Wilson thing. There is only 1 Russell Wilson. Bevell has done some smart things with him, but still, most of the success is because Russell is Russell.

Edited by reddogblitz

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Bills fans should not pumped up that Bevell here is going to come here and re create the Russell Wilson thing. There is only 1 Russell Wilson. Bevell has done some smart things with him, but still, most of the success is because Russell is Russell.

Maybe. I watched Russell at Wisconsin and he was not this good. Particularly vs Ohio state, which fielded a horrible defense that year.

I agree. Bills fans should not get too pumped up that Bevell is going to come here and re create the Russell Wilson thing. There is only 1 Russell Wilson. Bevell has done some smart things with him, but still, most of the success is because Russell is Russell.

I think that fans making this point are missing the much larger issue: Wilson is being put in a position to succeed based on what he CAN do.

Folks aren't suggesting Bevell would turn EJ into Wilson. Instead, they're saying the offense will be tailored to minimize EJ's limitations by maximizing the talents he does posses.

Maybe. I watched Russell at Wisconsin and he was not this good. Particularly vs Ohio state, which fielded a horrible defense that year.

What? He led the nation in passing. He was better than Luck or RG3nOut. He had 191 passer rating, 73% completion, 33 TDs, 4 INT, 10.3 YPA, had 7 more TDs rushing and one receiving.

I didn't see the Ohio State game, so he may have been subpar, although he was 20-32, 253 yards and 3 TD with no INTs.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I think that fans making this point are missing the much larger issue: Wilson is being put in a position to succeed based on what he CAN do.

Folks aren't suggesting Bevell would turn EJ into Wilson. Instead, they're saying the offense will be tailored to minimize EJ's limitations by maximizing the talents he does posses.

A concept that was foreign to Marrone.

I'm intrigued by what EJ could look like in Bevell's system.

A concept that was foreign to Marrone.

I'm intrigued by what EJ could look like in Bevell's system.

What irks me more and more about this reality is that it's a major blind spot for a coach that apparently now was self-imposed in the form of Doug Whaley sabotage. And yet we still managed nine wins.

Folks will scream bloody murder at this, but the real victim in all of this is Hackett.

What? He led the nation in passing. He was better than Luck or RG3nOut. He had 191 passer rating, 73% completion, 33 TDs, 4 INT, 10.3 YPA, had 7 more TDs rushing and one receiving.

I'm aware of his stats, but I watched him pretty closely. I'm not a big stat person when looking at college to pro with QBs. I personally never thought he would be more than a backup in the NFL. JMO that it wasn't just 2 inches of height that separated him from a 1st rounder to a 3rd rounder. I think he is a great story and an overachiever. I believe he is a very successful and clutch NFL QB. I was obviously not right in my assessment (though it was just from watching games, not film). Anyway, he really had some issues with throws primarily from the pocket. Vertical passing game/arm strength wasn't on display much. His offense in Seattle is very simple. He succeeds with balanced attack. I love him now, didn't love him as a prospect. I think Bevell put him in a position to succeed. I don't care if we hire Bevell - but I do think he has a role in Russell Wilson's development and it wasn't like he was handed Andrew Luck.

What irks me more and more about this reality is that it's a major blind spot for a coach that apparently now was self-imposed in the form of Doug Whaley sabotage. And yet we still managed nine wins.

Folks will scream bloody murder at this, but the real victim in all of this is Hackett.

I agree with this 100%

CBF

I'm aware of his stats, but I watched him pretty closely. I'm not a big stat person when looking at college to pro with QBs. I personally never thought he would be more than a backup in the NFL. JMO that it wasn't just 2 inches of height that separated him from a 1st rounder to a 3rd rounder. I think he is a great story and an overachiever. I believe he is a very successful and clutch NFL QB. I was obviously not right in my assessment (though it was just from watching games, not film). Anyway, he really had some issues with throws primarily from the pocket. Vertical passing game/arm strength wasn't on display much. His offense in Seattle is very simple. He succeeds with balanced attack. I love him now, didn't love him as a prospect. I think Bevell put him in a position to succeed. I don't care if we hire Bevell - but I do think he has a role in Russell Wilson's development and it wasn't like he was handed Andrew Luck.

You're a great fan and poster and know football, so I will just consider this an outlier. ;)

Wilson is incredible. He's got a cannon for an arm and throws a great deep ball, great deep out, and great over the middle. He does literally everything good, even in the pocket. He just doesn't often stay there to get killed because he can scramble so well. There is not one weakness in his entire game. They play that way, but he has weak receivers and they want him to just win games and make plays, which he constantly does. Wilson is the best all around QB in the league already, although he is far from the best QB.

I don't think Bevell did that much with him because he was incredible talent when he got there, although I like Bevell for other things.

You're a great fan and poster and know football, so I will just consider this an outlier. ;)

Wilson is incredible. He's got a cannon for an arm and throws a great deep ball, great deep out, and great over the middle. He does literally everything good, even in the pocket. He just doesn't often stay there to get killed because he can scramble so well. There is not one weakness in his entire game. They play that way, but he has weak receivers and they want him to just win games and make plays, which he constantly does. Wilson is the best all around QB in the league already, although he is far from the best QB.

I don't think Bevell did that much with him because he was incredible talent when he got there, although I like Bevell for other things.

I'm inclined to agree that the learning curve with EJ is much steeper than it ever was with Wilson.

That said, a run first guy who tailors an offense to meet the strengths he has (Watkins, Watkins, Watkins, Watkins, Watkins and may be Spiller) is something we're sorely lacking.

Nicely done.

And I need to see an offense where the Bills will attack an opponent's weakness. Not its strength. We saw precious little of that this year and I don't think either QB was equipped with a good plan of attack.

Yup and yup.

His first 6-8 nfl games were tough and bevell reworked the offense and he kicked into gear too

he struggled his rookie year for sure. Showed flashes but was in danger of being benched at one point. Exploded in playoffs - and looked the part. i think he is a great nfl QB. I just never thought he was Andrew Luck-like NFL ready pre-draft. For that, I give Bevell some credit for where he is now. Wilson gets a ton of credit because of his approach to the game and his work ethic. But he wasn't a finished product by any means. Jmo.

I'm inclined to agree that the learning curve with EJ is much steeper than it ever was with Wilson.

That said, a run first guy who tailors an offense to meet the strengths he has (Watkins, Watkins, Watkins, Watkins, Watkins and may be Spiller) is something we're sorely lacking.

OMG! This is what a ton of people of people were saying when you were defending Marrone and Hackett!!!

And I'm really warming up to Bevell. He gets the most out of his talent. Plus, it would be nice to have a coach who has won a SB instead of a Pinstripe Bowl.

he struggled his rookie year for sure. Showed flashes but was in danger of being benched at one point. Exploded in playoffs - and looked the part. i think he is a great nfl QB. I just never thought he was Andrew Luck-like NFL ready pre-draft. For that, I give Bevell some credit for where he is now. Wilson gets a ton of credit because of his approach to the game and his work ethic. But he wasn't a finished product by any means. Jmo.

Through their first 8 games, EJ and Wilson had very similar stats.

The idea that Wilson was a stud right away is a complete myth. He leaned on a great defense and running game. Bevell did a great job of bringing him along and when Wilson got more comfortable, they opened things up for him.

OMG! This is what a ton of people of people were saying when you were defending Marrone and Hackett!!!

And I'm really warming up to Bevell. He gets the most out of his talent. Plus, it would be nice to have a coach who has won a SB instead of a Pinstripe Bowl.

Through their first 8 games, EJ and Wilson had very similar stats.

The idea that Wilson was a stud right away is a complete myth. He leaned on a great defense and running game. Bevell did a great job of bringing him along and when Wilson got more comfortable, they opened things up for him.

The idea that EJ, who I think still has potential and I am not at all an EJ basher, has anywhere near the talent that Wilson has is the myth.

It's true that he didn't light up the stat sheet immediately. But his skill set is way, way, way beyond EJ's and I'm an EJ homer.

The idea that EJ, who I think still has potential and I am not at all an EJ basher, has anywhere near the talent that Wilson has is the myth.

It's true that he didn't light up the stat sheet immediately. But his skill set is way, way, way beyond EJ's and I'm an EJ homer.

It's similar to why I thought the Wilson and Johnny Bench comparison were laughable. Wilson is a very polished passer and is an extremely smart runner. He never takes a big hit.

manuel could be a poor man's Wilson and could be interesting to a guy like Bevell looking to be a head coach.

I'm rooting against the Seahawks because they are, you know, the Seahawks.

I still want Shanahan regardless. If we MUST go first timer, Bevell is first choice though.

I see your point and yes I root against the Hawks for that reason too.

I guess I just never considered Mike Shanahan a real possibility

CBF