Marrone was upset at the Buffalo Media

They won a game that everyone said they couldn't. They shut down a top 3 NFL QB. But you're right. It was nothing. But did they have talk about firing Marrone on that post-game show?

As long as "everyone " doesn't include Colin Cowherd, the guests on his football show, Mike Schopp, me, and people in Vegas who bet the line down to 3.5.... Sure.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just Marrone-like to dub the win one of the "greatest in franchise history."

For starters, the team has won 14 post-season games, so the iconic Green Bay win drops to #15 at best right off the bat.

Then we can look at regular season games to clinch the division, a playoff berth, on prime time national TV, against other legendary QBs/coaches, to end streaks, etc.

I think we'd get down into the high 20's/low 30's before we even start to have a real debate.

Not only is your angry local fanbase much larger, but when you are bad in NY you are in the national news for it every week. Basically Coughlin and Rex have been getting skewered on ESPN for years. it's the sports and media capitol of the country. When you are bad in Buffalo Sully writes something bad about you and Schopp says he's not sold on you. Otherwise, nobody outside of WNY cares. You are only relevant in Buffalo if you are winning. So yeah, it's maybeeee 100 times worse in NYC. :lol:

Fair points but Rex brought a lot of it on himself. It's hard to say since modern social media has only been around a handful of years, but I don't ever remember anyone on espn really caring about the Jets when they haven't had a coach who gives them golden sound bites.

I find it laughable but probably mostly true that Marrone was upset with his Buffalo media critics, including WGR. Laughable in that there is not one person in the WNY media, from Sullivan to Buscaglia, that is qualified to land even an intern job with an NFL team. Their second guessing and in depth NFL knowledge can be found on any barstool in WNY. So Doug, if you were upset at that, and clearly you were, you should have considered the source and manned up a bit. But your dealings with the media here revealed a lot about your character; thin skinned and considerably less than honest. And informing your team via text after it was already public is consistent with your general lack of candor.

Marrone's last interview with WGR with Sal was a gem. Asked if, given his only coaching/NFL experience was on the offensive side of the ball, if he spends more time with the offense, Marrone insisted that he spends equal time on defense, special teams and offense. A lie. A stupid lie. I mean if it was true it would be dumb anyway, since the D and special teams were doing great, and it was the O that was struggling and needed the attention. We know Doug was not interfering with Schwartz, just as he had little input in Pettine's D.

So good luck Doug. If the likes of Howard Simon bother you, I am sure you will do well in NYC. Clueless Howard wanted you fired, but stated he was surprised other teams were interested in you. Simon, who gets paid to follow the NFL, was actually surprised that Doug is a much desired coach candidate. Definition of clueless. Reminded me of the time Simon landed the great Mike Mayock on his radio show several years ago right before the draft, and informed Mike that he thought Bills should take James Hardy with their 1st round (12th overall) pick. Because, after all, Hardy was tall. Mayock actually laughed at Simon, and informed him that nobody believed Hardy was a round one pick. No one. Simon cut the interview short

I think I get your point but your kind of backhanding WGR too. Not sure if you've had the opportunity to listen to much local coverage outside of Buffalo but if you haven't you should. Buffalo does a darn good job. I live in Charlotte and listening to this local media about the Panthers is pathetic. I literally cannot listen to it anymore and I used to most mornings. I found the coverage today especially by Sal and then by Simon to be excellent and level headed.

While over the top, mike schopps commentary about drafting a qb in every round is thinking I can't dismiss. Its crazy to think of operating that way but if u hit on that position you are instantly better in every offensive facet.

While over the top, mike schopps commentary about drafting a qb in every round is thinking I can't dismiss. Its crazy to think of operating that way but if u hit on that position you are instantly better in every offensive facet.

might be a little tough trying to give that many QBs enough playing time to adequately assess them...

How do you draft the same position five times and ignore other needs? How do you take that talk seriously?

As touched on previously, drafting 7 QBs is stupid beyond belief. Only a complete non football person could come up with an idea like that. You could not possibly have enough practice reps to evaluate SEVEN QB prospects. Mind boggling how little you would have to know about football to come up with something like that. And the guy is paid to follow and comment on pro football. Only in Buffalo

OK, I don't take it literally as 7 qbs, but taking one or 2 qbs every year until you have one is not absurd... At least to me. It makes more sense then taking one and waiting 2 years to see, then taking another.

Whenever I see Schopp quoted I think the comment should be disregarded. That Marrone is gone is okay with me, he is overrated as a coach and his offensive coordinator will pull him under wherever he goes. A new coach will help this team, I think Schwartz should be they guy. That Polian isn't coming back is also okay. He is a guy who drafted a great quarterback in the first round and then didn't do much in his career. He is overblown in his own mind and I think he would have been bad for the Bills at this juncture. The Bills need a quarterback and someone who can coach the offensive line. Beyond that, if they can keep the core of the defense together they should be okay.

OK, I don't take it literally as 7 qbs, but taking one or 2 qbs every year until you have one is not absurd... At least to me. It makes more sense then taking one and waiting 2 years to see, then taking another.

However you "take it", what he said, and said multiple times, was that he would take seven QBs. Literally, that's what he said - on multiple occasions. That's the state of NFL commentary in this town, by guys that are paid to comment.

You have to admit what kind of NFL flagship talks about firing the coach right after one of the greatest wins in Bills history? (GB) Can't that wait till Monday?

Well...You have a point don't get me wrong...

But I think what happened the following week at Oakland is all the explanation anyone needs for exactly why that was still a line of questioning after the big win vs GB...Marrone had almost two full seasons under his belt...And I think the folks at WGR, like a lot of fans, were concentrating more on the fact that Marrone's Offense was clearly regressing despite the bump in the win column...They were holding him accountable...albeit a little aggressively and maybe untimely...But it's not like Marrone had proven he was beyond scrutiny with that GB win...And the critical analysis was going to come hard and heavy after that Oakland loss regardless...So... B-)