Marrone or Whaley, Who Stays?

rfk

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley gets at least another year; put a bullet in Marrone.

That's a little harsh..let him go to some second rate college program and I hope he gets a fashion consultant...He can take EJ CJ and an other "J's" with him. Lets keep the D guys and the special teams guy

Whaley for sure. He has assembled alot of the pieces. This team was such a mess you cannot do it all over night. That being said relationships can be repaired and Marrone probably stays. Hacket needs to go he just isnt a NFL coach at any spot on the offensive side. We need a bonified OC, line coach, and QB coach to groom Manuel. While we are at it dont be surprised to see a decent QB like bradford come in. He may need a change of scenery as well.

Whaley has built a really good team. Marrone has done nothing except ride the coat tails of 2 really good Defensive Coordinators and a team with a ton of talent. If Marrone wants to keep his job then we need a good offense otherwise why not just fire him and hire the best OC in the league as head coach/coordinator?

It wouldn't surprise me if Pegula gives Whaley the boot and hires Bill Polian. Pegula has a thing for alumni.

http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/bucky-gleason/pegulas-have-decisions-to-make-soon-20141225

If he does bring in Polian, note that Polian has recently said that Marrone deserves votes for coach of the year. If this does happen and the Marrone-Whaley relationship is truly beyond repair -- as this article suggests based on discussions with people who work for the organization -- then I expect Whaley to be gone.

Edited by dave mcbride

http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/bucky-gleason/pegulas-have-decisions-to-make-soon-20141225

If he does bring in Polian, note that Polian has recently said that Marrone deserves votes for coach of the year. If this does happen and the Marrone-Whaley relationship is truly beyond repair -- as this article suggests based on discussions with people who work for the organization -- then I expect Whaley to be gone.

Wow. I would be stunned if Marrone stays and Whalley goes. Absolutely stunned.

Any chance we bring in Bill Polian as GM for a year or so and then he transitions the position to his son? (Chris, I think is his name). I read somewhere that this was Bill's plan in Indy before he was axed. Not sure it is a great plan, but it could happen.

Edited by Maddog69

you need to keep both or fire both, Can't keep Whaley, he hires a new coach things won't work out you fire whaley next year and a new GM comes and inherit Whaley's coaching staff you hire this year, what gm would take that job? Doug and Doug made progress, minus a couple of bone head plays this year they would have been signing extension next week. They get another year. Would like to see a new OC, find a QB, if you can't let orton and EJ battle it out, but build an OL so they can play with a clean pocket and run the ball at will. It easier to find 3 or 4 OL men then a QB.

Edited by clearwater cadet

Wow. I would be stunned if Marrone stays and Whalley goes. Absolutely stunned.

Any chance we bring in Bill Polian as GM for a year or so and then he transitions the position to his son? (Chris, I think is his name). I read somewhere that this was Bill's plan in Indy before he was axed. Not sure it is a great plan, but it could happen.

If the Bills finish 9-7 - which is very possible given the circumstances of Sunday's game - I don't see any chance of Marrone getting fired. He will have coached the team to a winning season for the the first time in a DECADE. More importantly, regardless of whether we like him, he is in fact widely respected across the league and with a lot of backers. I just don't see him getting canned if it comes down to a decision between him and Whaley. The latter is on the hook for Manuel, and my sense is that across the league he's viewed as a bust. I'm not saying that's right, but perception matters.

Edited by dave mcbride

Even if Pegula has doubts about both Whaley and Marrone, I think Whaley is more likely to go this year. If Pegula is unsure about Whaley, how can you have him hire a new head coach? If Pegula wants to fire Whaley after one more year, how many GMs will want a job where they are either stuck with a head coach who was just hired or they need to fire a coach who was just hired. That scenario seems way too disruptive to the team. Also, with Whaley, you can objectively point to moves that were questionable (trading up for Watkins, drafting CK, and drafting EJ). It would be harder with Marrone, where the Bills have shown improvement in their overall record after two seasons.